1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ESET NOD32 suddenly using A LOT of RAM

Discussion in 'General Software' started by PLSG08, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    Cheers! :toast: How about a thanks then? :p Just click the "thanks" button on the bottom-right of the post you like.

PLSG08 says thanks.
  2. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Did you re-install chrome?

3. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    ddint you know? you need to clean the browsing cache from time to time on chromium based browsers.
    erocker told me first. i use opera chromium.

4. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    It was not cache problem. There were multiple instances of chrome running. Cache is stored in hdd, so that doesn't reduce memory. Cleaning cache frees up hdd space, not RAM.

5. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    Just posting an update on ESET

I don't have it in my system anymore and I did a clean reinstall of Windows on the laptop again. I didn't install Chrome and now use Firefox.

It seems to be faster and RAM doesn't go past 60% usage (at least when Photoshop is not running or any games.) On idle I get around 36% RAM usage.

I'm currently using Bitdefender for my active Anti virus and Malwarebytes for Scans. It seems to do the Job quite right. Bitdefender uses around 15mb-25mb of RAM

Thanks again nabarun!

6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i'll honestly suggest giving chrome another try, as firefox is well known to use more memory than chrome.

also double check what plugins/extensions are installed - IF chrome was responsible, you can bet it was because some addon (possible from antivirus) was glitching.

remixedcat and Aquinus say thanks.
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Am I the only person who think that ~90-100MB of usage for an active scan isn't a lot? 4Gb of ram or not, that's still only 1/40th of your total system memory so in comparison to other AV it might be more than normal, but it's by no means a lot. I don't think that this is a memory leak or something bad. More files to scan means more memory usage and if chrome's cache wasn't dumped then over time it will take more and more resources to scan all of it. I bet the same thing will happen with Firefox the more you use it.

I think that this is a simple case of over reacting, but that's me.

8. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    OK, somebody has to say this, so why not me? Chrome is designed intentionally to run a different instance every time a new tab is opened. So, if 10 tabs are opened in chrome, then actually 10 different instances of Chrome are running, and you can verify this by checking out the task manager. Check out the following from Chrome blog:
    http://blog.chromium.org/2008/09/multi-process-architecture.html
    And this video: Crash Control.
    This has nothing to do with cache. Cache=HDD, not RAM.

9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    The number of files that the anti-virus has to scan does impact how much memory the anti-virus application uses during an active scan. So the larger the cache, the harder the anti-virus has to work to scan everything because there are more files that need to be scanned.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  10. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    True. But that only happens when the AV is actually scanning. Irrespective of that, Chrome uses a lot more RAM than other browsers, particularly because of running all the tabs in separate processes. Besides, the purpose of having hdd cache is to speed-up browsing regularly visited sites, although that does need to be cleared from time to time to clean unwanted stuff. Firefox and Opera have better built-in functions to aid in fine tuning what the user wants and what he doesn't. With suitable extensions and tweaks Firefox is a MUCH better browser.