• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ethernet Driver Non Existant?

Havoc

System Name Jemima
Processor Pentium Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale
Motherboard Abit IP35 Pro
Cooling Custom Built Water Cooling, Utilising a Small Lake
Memory 2GB Dominator DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI X1950Pro 256MB
Storage 120GB Seagate Barracuda + 320GB Maxtor DiamondMax
Display(s) Advent 17" CRT + GNR 15" LCD
Case Coolermaster Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 550W
Hi all,

I'm doing a re-install of a friends laptop after it came down with some nasty viruses. The only thing that I am having issues with is the ethernet driver. The wireless has installed and is an intel unit. But the LAN driver is Broadcom, and the Acer website & Broadcom Website list a download that contains 3 files:

They are all called b57win32, but they are all different filetypes, one is a system file, the other a 'security catalogue' and the other a setup information file. There's no EXE of any kinda [this is what I want - I have no idea otherwise on how to instal the files?'

I've also tried is using the add new hardware wizard - this has resulted in failure as there is nothing on windows update if I turn the wireless on, and for some reason it doesn't like the driver that I have downloaded. Finally, I've tried right clicking on the Setup Information File and clicking install, and I've had no Joy with that either. I've got to be doing something wrong - Most confused!

Can anyone sort me out with a step-by-step guide of what to do, I feel a bit silly asking - But I haven't used a Windows PC in about 3 years. :(

The machine is an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi Laptop with the 1.6 T5500 C2D, and I'm running Windows XP.

Thanks

Edd

System Name Bitch / Dogma
Processor 955 BE @ 3.8Gig / 9850 @stock
Video Card(s) 8800 GTX 512 / 4890
Storage 8 x Samsung F2 1.5TB, 8 x Seagate 500s
Display(s) Acer 24 / Dell 24
Case Lian li / Akasa
Software Win server 2008 / Win 7
Try here:

http://www.acer.co.uk/acer/service.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&miu10einu24.current.attN2B2F2EEF=3734&sp=page15e&ctx2.c2att1=17&miu10ekcond13.attN2B2F2EEF=3734&CountryISOCtxParam=UK&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=3713735360

Select Notebook > Apsire > 5630

A list of files will be displayed. Above these files, change the filter options to:

Operating system: XP - whatever version you have
After the language box change LATEST to ALL

This will list a number of drivers for the LAN and Wireless.

From there I would download all and try each until one installs correctly.
Extract each zip file into its own directory.
In each zip file there will be a *.inf file.
Go to device manager and look for the yellow ? sysmbol that shows a device with no driver or incorrect driver - this will be your LAN and or Wireless.

Right click on ? > install/update driver > select option to browse to driver > select inf file > ok.

If the 1st fails, try the 2nd and so on.

Sorry if this is not 100% accurate, but its all from memory :slap:

Havoc

System Name Jemima
Processor Pentium Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale
Motherboard Abit IP35 Pro
Cooling Custom Built Water Cooling, Utilising a Small Lake
Memory 2GB Dominator DDR2 800Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI X1950Pro 256MB
Storage 120GB Seagate Barracuda + 320GB Maxtor DiamondMax
Display(s) Advent 17" CRT + GNR 15" LCD
Case Coolermaster Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 550W
Oh thanks dude, I needed to set the 'Latest' to 'All' and it was there!

Many thanks for your help

:)