1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ethernet over powerline

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Easy Rhino, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    has anyone used this technology? i am looking into buying a pair of EoP for about $100 but i would like to hear some testimonials. i have read a few around the net but would like to hear them here.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I've used several setups.

The 85Mb/s kits are good enough for pretty much anything you will need. File transfers went at about 5-6MB/s, and streaming 1080p content was a breeze. These were definitely way faster than Wireless G.

The 200Mb/s kits essentially give you the same speeds as a direct 100Mb/s ethernet cable, maybe slightly slower but nothing noticeable.

Belkin just put out a Gigabit Powerline kit, and I've really wanted to try that out. The best part is that it is only $120, so it isn't really that much more expensive than a 200Mb/s kit.

You do have to remember that these devices are half-duplex. So a 200Mb/s kit really gives 100Mb/s in each direct, which matches perfectly with 100Mb/s ethernet.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
    WarEagleAU and _JP_ say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    I use one to run an AP upstairs. Been running for two years now. Both (AP and EOP\Powerline\Homeplug) are Trendnet devices.

No problems in all that time and keeps up with my wired stuff. I can play HD video, live TV, etc. with no problems. I have run a laptop, Wii, netbook, and nephew plays with his psp handheld off it.

_JP_ says thanks.
  4. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    power over ethernet is not the same thing as ethernet over power, correct?

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Correct...

EOP( ethernet over power-line ) is exactly that. You plug a master in one electrical outlet and the other or others( there can be more than one, some will do twelve or so ) into the electrical outlet or outlets where you need the connection.

POE (power over ethernet) sends data\power to devices over wires\cable (usually, Cat5 or better).

Sorta a simple explanation.:)

6. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    ok cool cause you mentioned your POE setup and i thought maybe i was being confused.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Oops, sorry: fixed!
    Dyslexic tonight.:banghead:

I use this. Always better when I use pictures.
    [​IMG]

_JP_ says thanks.
  8. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    POE is something that is a feature on a switch.

I have powerline in my house and it's awesome. It doubles (almost triples) my wireless speed when streaming. I have Linksys but am in the process of switching them out in favor of these:

http://www.plasternetworks.com/

9. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Do you have some or are just thinking of trying it?

10. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Easy Rhino says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    if i get some time this weekend i will pick it up. of course i need to sell some things in my damned FS thread :shadedshu

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    You have a PM ER!

13. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Given the price of the one I bought, you might look into the gigabit Belkin solution for only $10 more...

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ^ thats what i was going to say, about the half speeds. you beat me to it.

its more expensive than wireless, but has different limitations - for example, it works better through obstructions, doesnt require wifi cards/USB sticks in the recevier devices (great for consoles/dumb devices) and cant be hacked by your neighbours and a laptop.

15. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This technology does not seem to be very widespread in the consumer market, which is surprising as it seems to be a no-brainer option when determining household ethernet setups. Especially in pre-existing homes that have no cable installed in the walls.

Are there other limitations? Will this still function if one of the outlets is a ground fault outlet?
    Will it work if one of the breakers in the electrical box is a GF and the master is on another curcuit ?
    How succeptible are these devices to electrical surge or line noise?

16. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    I've been using a set of 3 for over a year and a half now and am really pleased with them. In fact only my consoles and laptops are on wireless - all static computers and TVs are plugged into the ethernet over power plugs i have (with a couple of ethernet switches in between so i can use multiple devices per plug).

I believe you have to be over the same circuit board for them to work and you'll want to get ones with password encryption if you live in shared accomodation (university halls etc with multiple people per circuit board) otherwise anyone can access them (the same as if you used open wifi). Most the good, branded ones have encryption/password options if that's the case.

As for how do they deal with power surges i don't know - all of mine are through surge protectors anyway in case anything does happen.

17. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    They aren't bad wifi replacements, but their transfer rates are still pretty poor. If you have the option to use a wired 1Gbps connection, it is definitely superior.

18. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Sure a direct wired connection is going to be a superior option. But ...

Let's say I want to run ethernet into my living room ...
    and let's say that I don't want cables that are visible ...
    and let's say that I just had 18 inches of cellulose insulation blown into my attic so the pain of working in that environment is similar to having your spleen removed with knitting needles while sitting in your own excrement and setting your feet on fire and watching them burn.

EoP looks pretty good in that case.

WarEagleAU and scaminatrix say thanks.
  19. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    Well the only thing i tend to want to use my EOP for is streaming 1080P video content between my various devices - I can't get a good solid stream using wifi but i have no problems at all with EOP.

20. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    I never said it doesn't have its uses. Just noting that if the wired option exists, it is definitely better as far as transfer rates go.

21. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Well with the 200Mb/s adatpers, they definitely are slower than a Gigabit ethernet connection. However, now that there are Gigabit versions, I wonder how much of a difference there really is. Yes, they will still be slower, especially if you are running them over multiple circuits, but the speed should still be pretty fast.

DO NOT PLUG THEM INTO SURGE PROTECTORS! This is usually burried somewhere in the manual, but it should always be there. The way surge protectors work can cause the adapters to have extremely bad speeds. With my 200Mb/s kit, when I accidently plugged one into a surge protector my speeds were below 1Mb/s(Yes, bit not byte). Moving it directly to an outlet fixed the speeds. I believe it is usually the cheaper surge protectors that cause this problem.

I haven't had any problems with GFCI outlets or circuits causing problems, though we only have those in the bathrooms and kitchen, so I really don't have a need to plug the adapter directly into them.

One of the advantages of these over wireless, besides the speed, is that it is easy to plug multiple devices into one unit. The main reason I got mine was so that I could run one from my basement where my router is to my living room where my TV/Xbox/PS3/Media PC was located. I had to plug the Xbox, PS3, and Media PC all into it. So a simple 5-port switch was all I needed to get all of them running with a wired connection. No need to buy a wireless adapter for the Xbox or Media PC, so it kind of paid for itself.

95Viper and _JP_ say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  22. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Subbed, because I'm also thinking of getting a kit. :D

23. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use a Trust NW-7800 and it works great. i didn't expect it to work as well as it is working for now. no problems whatsoever

24. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I think we're on the same page, my friend. :toast:

25. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    i am with kreij. it seems that this kind of hardware would be widespread and would put wireless out of business. :laugh: there has to be some limitation i dont know about! regardless, i am definitely getting a set!

Crunching for Team TPU