1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ethernet over powerline

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Easy Rhino, Nov 10, 2010.

1. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I think one limitation is that it supports up to 8 devices. IIRC, wireless is double that per AP. And the half-duplex signal can become a factor if you have several devices all on the network at the same time trying to load things up. For me, I don't plan on having that much of my network rely on this, and I would prefer a wired solution anyday, but this looks to be ideal for the circumstances I'm using it for now.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I think part of the issue is that the technology is still relatively new to the consumer market.

And of course the big limitation is that you are still stuck with a wire, you can't just pick up your laptop and go anywhere with it.

It is limitted to 8 EOP devices. However, you can plug a switch into a EOP device and connect as many computers as you want to it. So if you have 3 devices in the same area you only need 1 EOP devices for them. Yeah, all the devices would then have to share the 200Mb/s connection, but it would still be a hell of a lot faster than a Wireless connection and more reliable too.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, and that is the same way I plan on connecting multiple devices at my home.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I love the EoP. I got a pair to use for my Direct TV Receiver and network that to my Xbox 360 and I have been in love with it ever since. I do have slower than normal speeds due to the condition of the wiring in the house. When I build my new home in 3 years, that will of course change :)
  5. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Just a little info.

My trendnet powerline supports 15 powerline adapters...

Connect one 200Mbps* Powerline AV Adapter to the Internet and then plug in up to 15 additional adapters for instant building connectivity

The new TrendNet 500Mbps Powerline AV Adapter Kit, model TPL-401E2K, when it comes out will use one to transmit and up to 15* TPL-401Es to receive a networked signal

Of couse, with anything such as this... you are sharing the bandwidth, so, you know the drill.

It varies with the units and manufacturer.:)
    Easy Rhino says thanks.
  6. headshot119 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Note that if you use Digital broadcast radio, then I don't recommend EOP, it causes terrible interference.
  7. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep..I use the D-Link DHP303's to connect my gaming PC with the router in the front room (I refuse to radiate myself with wireless microwave radiation)......

.....for everything I need it for, it works flawlessly and without a quibble. Mind u, living in the middle of the countryside (in the UK), my internet connection is not exactly 'futuristic'. 6MB Download, 350KB Upload, 35 Ping to British servers.

......neither my connection, ping, jitter changes from when I test the line on the router.
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    bandwidth is shared between all the devices, so the more of these you add, the slower the whole thing gets,
  9. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
  11. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but if you are transferring a large file in one direction, it will be pretty close to Gigabit.:toast: You are really only going to notice the difference if you are transferring files in both directions at the same time.
  12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i thought it was the same as wifi, where it doesnt work that way. 150Mb wirelss N only gets you 75Mb transfer speeds (approx 8.5MB/s in my testing)
  13. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Usually wireless speed is halved by encryption, then sometimes halved again by interference, obstructions, etc.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    With the Half Dublex of wired networking/EOP it is 1000Mb in one direction only. So to send data back and forth it has to constantly switch directions. If data is all flowing in one direction it will get close to 1000Mb, with a little slow down due to sending the small recieved/acknowledge packets back.

Wireless speeds are so slow for numerious reasons, I don't believe it is actually half duplex.
  15. Flak New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I saw newtekie mention this... But just want to throw this out there again. EOP do not work well (some people have zero luck) if you have AFCI breakers, which many newer house builds do.

Unlike newtekie, I have never had luck streaming my movies with 6channel audio over the 85mb kits without stuttering. However, they do work fine with the 200mb kits.
  16. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    cool. 95viper is sending me his kit so i cant wait to test! the pc it will be attached to is just a typical office computer for browsing, youtube, hulu, etc
  17. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    You mean GFCI? Building codes around me only say that those have to be used within so many feet of water (sinks, tubs, etc.).
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    these sound like fire hazards messing with electrical work and stuff but im probably wrong just doesn't sound safe. but it is cool
  19. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Flak is speaking of GFCI breakers in the distribution panel, not outlets; and the breakers should not affect the data. They, usually, do not filter the frequencies the devices use.

I apologize to Flak.

It seems that he is referring to exactly what he said and I have learned something new. As, I did not know they were installing these in new construction in some locations.

Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupter Breakers
    Arc-fault circuit interrupter

And, it seems, that they monitor a certain waveform pattern that electrical arcs create... It may be possible they can interfere with powerline devices. Hmmmm, more investigation is called for.

As, this tester showed there is a loss of speed and connectivity, this was a test done in August of 2009, between a NetGear unit and Belkin - with and without AFCI.

No more so, than... the power bricks or PSU you plug in the wall.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
    Flak says thanks.
  20. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
  21. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    update: when they work they are very fast. however i notice that the terminal will lose a signal and i have to unplug it and plug it back in to get internet back. i know that sometimes interference can be an issue. i am trying to narrow it down. the terminal is plugged directly into the wall and the only other thing connect to that wall outlet is a powerstrip with the PC, lamp and speakers connected.
  22. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it is any help...I had to do this at first with mine.....but after a few times....they just started to work 100% and I have never had any bother ever since.

Maybe not the technical opinion that u were looking for but, maybe they just need to settle in properly :wtf:
    Easy Rhino says thanks.
  23. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Here are some sites with do s \ don't s, troubleshooting, etc.
    May give you some helpful leads.

General Homeplug troubleshooting
    HD-PLC Adaptor faqs
    HD-PLC Adaptor faqs 2
    HD-PLC Adaptor faqs 3
    BLPA100KTA manual in pdf
    Recommended Configuration for Best Performance
    Not Recommended -Electrical Interference-
    House Verification Result of PA100
    :)

Is your lamp you have plugged or any lamps near(same leg) touch lamps, could cause interference. But, so could other stuff, as stated in some of the pages linked.
  24. Flak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Touch lamps and dimmers on the same circuit usually cause havoc.....
  25. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    yea i read through some of the toubleshooting advice. i am trying a whole bunch of different methods to get it to stay connected. i know for certain that in the same room on a different outlet it stays connected. now i am slowly moving farther away.