1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ethernet port will communicate with another computer, but not the internet. Any help?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JC316, Aug 24, 2006.

1. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    The title pretty much says it all. It will comunicate with another computer while playing LAN, but when I try to hook up to a cable modem, it tells me I have limited or no connectivity. I have tried calling my ISP, but they can't figure it out either. I have all of the latest drivers installed. Any help?

2. stealthfighter

stealthfighter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try a networking card? :/

3. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Are you hooking up to the modem directly, and or are you suding a straight Cat cable or a crossover, and or have you reached the limit perhaps for concurrent connections to your modem, IE too many IP addresses-computers.

Is your system asking for a assigned IP, or have you provided a manual IP address?

10 Million points folded for TPU
  4. Freqhog New Member

Thanks Received:
    to me it sounds like you have your tcp/ip set manually and it works with your (router?) but your modem needs an automatic ip? This happend to my friend once...

Also reset the modem before you plug it into the pc sometimes the ip has to change for your pc...

5. g12rxz New Member

Thanks Received:
    can you tell me the model/manufacturer of the modem and router? also, are your pc's (most likely the case) set to recieve an ip automatically?

6. JC316

Thanks Received:
    This isn't mine, this is for a friend. He has tried bypassing the router and just going straight off from the modem, still nothing.

We tried using forced IP and automatic.

It finds an IP and a subnet mask, but it cannot find a default gateway.

Freqhog, yours sounds like the best setup, the computer is sending information, but it's not getting any information back. I had him use the ping utility and he is getting replies, so I know that the port is working. Plus neverwinter nights works over LAN.

How would he go about setting up an automatic IP?

Thanks for the replies.

7. Freqhog New Member

Thanks Received:
    Open the connection via control pannel -> Network Connections double click the connection you want to change, go to properties, click TCP/IP, click properties again and put both Obain an IP automatically & obtain DNS servers automaticly. If they are on manual do that, reset the modem and then plug it in.....hope that is the problem..

8. JC316

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice, I will get him to do this. I heard cable modems could be touchy and I bet that is the problem. Makes me glad to have wireless broadband, no modems required.

9. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    If it is not finding a gateway it is probably assigning itself an IP...

And if it connects to another pc just fine your using the wrong cable.....

Try resetting the modem, and hooking up a different pc to see if it works, then swap them back, restarting the modem with every new PC.

10. Freqhog New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea that resetting modem thing messed my friend up good ^^ lol If you don't reset you dont get a proper IP for that pc.

11. JC316

Thanks Received:
    Well, he reset the modem and got internet for a few minutes, but now it's goofed again. He tried reseting the modem again, but still no go. His modem is a surfboard sb3100.

12. JC316

Thanks Received:
    Got it fixed, he is using a switch instead of router.