• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ethernet won't connect fully to network, wifi dongle works instantly

System Name Big Loud Box
Processor i7 980x
Motherboard Sabertooth x58
Cooling Asetek 570LX 240MM Watercooler
Memory 12GB @ 1600mhz DDR3
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti WindForce 3X OC
Storage Crucial M4 256 SSD / 3TB WD Green + random drives
Case Azza Hurrican
Power Supply BFG EX-1000 1000 WATT 80 Plus Modular
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Razer Anansi
Specs should be current.

My on board LAN port failed quite some time ago, so I bought a TP-Link (TG-3468) to replace it for my Gigabit Ethernet network, and it worked like a champ (at least a year, likely longer I just don't recall). Then a few weeks ago BOINC reported no Internet access (it claims to still have network access but can't actually access anything on the network and it reports the network as Unidentified, when before it reported the network properly), and after trying to diagnose the problem (Windows 7, all updates to date, drivers updated as best I can tell) and either getting "no vaild IP address results" or "cannot diagnose the problem" (after manually putting an IP address and information), I just figured the card failed and replaced it.

The new card was a Syba Gigabit card (SD-PEX24009), plugged it in (in a different PCI-Express slot, just to be on the safe side), it worked immediately, updated drivers, it still worked, figured I was all set. 3 weeks later (today), the same exact issue and problem.

My network setup is from the ISP supplied router (wireless +4 Gigabit ports) to an unmanaged gigabit switch, to the problem machine. Every other device on the network is currently working with no problems (unmanaged switch has 2 ip cameras, a set top box and a blue ray player all connecting to the Internet properly). When I plug in my emergency WiFi dongle to the problem machine, it connects immediately to the wifi network and has successful Internet/Network access.

I'm fairly stumped, the machine downloaded GTA V recently over the connection with no problems, and both times the problem has occurred has been overnight when only BOINC has been running. As mentioned both cards have been in different PCI-E slots (one above, one below the GPU). Temps overnight via Real Temp peak at ~70° C. Also I tried switching cables on the off chance the cable somehow failed.

So, any thoughts?

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
do you see something in windows logs?

I remember once nvidia network problems... hardware issues... like needing to disable receive side by scaling... to ensure normal work...

and most shocking thing... most usually the cause for those problems are the router power supply, not feeding the unit enough itself... TP link is crap as such... please excuse me for that statement... but I haven't endured an experience with them that proved me wrong really.

The same kind of thing has happened to me so many times it's hard to count. So I'm guessing, based on my experience, it's time to get a new mobo. That always fixes it for me. Unless you're satisfied with the wifi dongle approach.

System Name Big Loud Box
Processor i7 980x
Case Azza Hurrican
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Razer Anansi
do you see something in windows logs?

I remember once nvidia network problems... hardware issues... like needing to disable receive side by scaling... to ensure normal work...

and most shocking thing... most usually the cause for those problems are the router power supply, not feeding the unit enough itself... TP link is crap as such... please excuse me for that statement... but I haven't endured an experience with them that proved me wrong really.

Nothing that I can see in any logs.

No worries on the TP-Link comment, I wouldn't be completely surprised if both these cheap cards failed.

It never occurred to me that it could be the router (or in this case, the switch) wouldn't feed enough of a signal itself, I'll try to get it plugged into the router itself.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
That's what I would suggest, connect to the Router.

Open command line, type IPCONFIG /Release
IPCONFIG /Renew

That will release and renew your DHCP licenses. If the DHCP service on your router isn't working (which isn't likely), then you won't pick up an address, but you said you put in a static IP address for your subnet so that would resolve that issue really.

You said you tried another cable, but are you sure it's a known good cable? Can you test with a laptop to your switch to verify? Have you tried connecting another device to the Ethernet part of your network to see if DHCP and network connectivity is resolving? If it does, then that brings you back to your NIC hardware.

System Name Big Loud Box
Processor i7 980x
Case Azza Hurrican
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Razer Anansi
and most shocking thing... most usually the cause for those problems are the router power supply, not feeding the unit enough itself...

And this is the winner, I swapped out the power supply for a beefier one and it came on breifly and went off, but then I tried it with less items on the switch for whatever reason the cheap unmanaged 8 port switch (ok, that's probably the reason) won't send a signal to 4 100 MB devices plus the 1 GB device (it just decides to not actually work with the 1 GB device, even though the lights and show up and Windows thinks I still have "Network" access"), when I remove one device from the switch and reset it, it works as it should, at least for now. I think I'll get onto replacing that switch, appreciate the help folks, thanks again!

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
And this is the winner[/QUOT)

Well lucky you. As usual the caps are dry and problems occur.

My share of experience more. I bought of ebay a X-Fi elite pro for fun... RMA tests were arse under 96dB in SPL. Nearly 10 years for the card... So i went Nippon Banzai... So replaced all caps with Nichions(just had them only at the hand) and RMAA loop back shows 116dB almost as the DAC is capable...

Moral of the story... Screw it, but pleasure means money...

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
And this is the winner, I swapped out the power supply for a beefier one and it came on breifly and went off, but then I tried it with less items on the switch for whatever reason the cheap unmanaged 8 port switch (ok, that's probably the reason) won't send a signal to 4 100 MB devices plus the 1 GB device (it just decides to not actually work with the 1 GB device, even though the lights and show up and Windows thinks I still have "Network" access"), when I remove one device from the switch and reset it, it works as it should, at least for now. I think I'll get onto replacing that switch, appreciate the help folks, thanks again!
Huh. I have a Ubiquiti router that has similar issues. I'll have to try it. Never heard of that as an issue. Weird.

System Name Big Loud Box
Processor i7 980x
Case Azza Hurrican
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard Razer Anansi
Huh. I have a Ubiquiti router that has similar issues. I'll have to try it. Never heard of that as an issue. Weird.

Yeah I'm still baffled by how it can happen on a dumb hub, I mean all the 100 Mbps Ethernet Connections were working just fine, as was the incoming 1Gbps one, just the one outgoing 1Gps would show as network connected but wouldn't show as internet connected and would not work to either. Swapping power supplies and dropping one connection is currently working.

Reactions: xvi