1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Eurocom Preparing Core i7-powered Laptop

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Feb 2, 2009.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel's Core i7 helped strengthen the company's foothold over the desktop CPU market beyond what it already had with the Core 2 series. The level of performance the Core i7 has on offer, comes at an expense of high thermal characteristics, with the rated TDP of 130W to begin with. Eurocom feels it could design a laptop, a portable workstation rather, that features Core i7 series processors. It could be one of the first to do so, with the Phantom i7 D900F.

Holding Core i7 processors in their existing series: models 920, 940, 965 XE, the Phantom i7 holds a 17-inch display with a native resolution of 1920 x 1200 or 1680 x 1050. It features up to 8GB of DDR3 memory and up to 1.5TB of storage using three 500GB hard drives. A Blu-ray or DVD writer drive and a 7-in-1 memory card reader handle removable storage. Graphics will be handled by 1GB variants of GeForce 9800M GTX, Quadro FX 3700 or a soon-to-be-released "G280" graphics accelerator. Connectivity is care of Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi, an ExpressCard slot, and optionally Bluetooth. A built-in TV-tuner and a 12-cell battery make for the rest of the package. The Phantom i7 is slated for May.

[​IMG]

Source: TechConnect Magazine

1c3d0g says thanks.
  2. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Wow, thats nice. Most of the time your going to be having to use your power cord to run it because with all that hardware it is going to suck those batteries dry.

3. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Three hardrives?!?! Bad plan. Battery life = 15 minutes.

4. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    That is what I was saying. We need to get some of those Japanese Lion batteries that run for like 16hour battery life.

5. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    and it's how heavy and requires what mortgage? lol

6. Jakl

Jakl New Member

Thanks Received:
    3 HDD's...
    9800M GTX...
    17" LCD...
    Bluray Player...

Battery life? like none? man that thing is gonna be power hungry all the time... But that is one hell of a beast notebook

7. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    If you can afford that laptop then battery life and weight won't matter at all - you could probably afford to pay for someone to carry it around for you, and pay for someone else to carry a generator around to keep it powered as well :p

I also would not like that anywhere near a lap, the heat output will be epic...

ITman and 1c3d0g say thanks.
  8. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It is a portable workstation. Battery life is the least of its USPs. Instead the battery is more of a built-in UPS. People who use these, use them off the AC line or using generators/inverters. Think of field research vehicles, a factory, a construction site, etc.

I expect this to be priced above $5,000 looking purely at how IBM/Lenovo prices portable workstations with such components.

9. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
    Everything that hass been said plus HEAVY as hell. This would just be a desktop replacement. Usage as an actual laptop - very to extremely little.

10. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    http://www.eurocom.com/
    Eurocom Corporation - Number 1 in Desktop Replacement Notebook Technology

FFS people, doing a google search won't kill you. this is not intened to be a macbook air.

11. Jakl

Jakl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Duh we know... We are just saying the hardware in the unit might be a power hogg...

12. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol panties in a bunch, it doesn't matter how you perceive the tech, the mere application of i7 in a portable form is a staggering concept considered the native ideal of that form - ie you expect a little portability, otherwise what use is it over a desktop? last time I checked you could run those off a genny too.

13. PCpraiser100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Eurocom's crackheads think desktops are laptops again...send them to rehab.

14. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    That would be an apsolute beast even though i dont think with the size that anyone who would buy it would be taking it out to much. Heat would be the main issue id see mine gets hot as with a decent game session and that ones would be a mile better than mine.

15. pr0n Inspector

pr0n Inspector

Thanks Received:
    because even though they are much bigger and heavier than normal notebooks, they are still much easier to transport and deploy than a desktop?

16. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Amen to that its alot easier to lug my lappy around the a case monitor keyboard and mouse.