1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

European Commission Plans Criminal Case Against Microsoft

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Oct 15, 2012.

1. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    True. new IE is pretty good.

2. Covert_Death

Thanks Received:
    mehhh new IE still sucks when compared to chrome or FF

my view, MS should be able to build THEIR OS using THEIR software, whats next? give us an option to install OpenOffice when we try to install Microsoft Office????? fuk no

the ONLY thing I would give in on the side of the EU Commission is that there should be a way to uninstall IE. i don't like the fact that you aren't even allowed to remove it

timmyisme22 says thanks.
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Then its Coke responsibility to include one Pepsi in every 6 pack. :rolleyes:

I like and use IE and am glad its included in every install of Windows. No one is stopping anyone from downloading and using Linux. Don't like IE? Learn to like Linux or OSX.

4. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    The European Commission is pretty communist. They don't look at other companies who provide their own OS's with their own built in web browser. A bunch of crap.

Also I agree with all other comments that say the EU is doing this to bail themselves out.

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to see Microsoft pull out of the EU market for the time being. See what happens. :)

w3b, Chevalr1c and timmyisme22 say thanks.
  6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Its a MS product. If you don't like what they have to offer then don't buy it. They do not have a monopoly on the market. This is just EU looking for cash again.

Again should Coke offer one can of Pepsi in every six pack?

Maybe the EU should add an OS tax to VAT so the EU could develop its own OS for the masses.

7. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Remove the incumbent and alternatives will step in the void. Especially so if its a virtual monopoly like microsoft.

8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    OSX and Linux users would like to have a word with you. :laugh:

Chevalr1c, Aquinus and timmyisme22 say thanks.
  9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Are we talking about the O/S or internet browsers? Pretty sure the post you quoted was referring to browsers. Pretty sure this thread is about browsers. I don't see what right the EU has in taking any of Microsoft's money. They really don't. They don't make any browsers.. or operating systems.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    Chevalr1c, eidairaman1 and timmyisme22 say thanks.
  10. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

timmyisme22 says thanks.
  11. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I wanted to say this earlier, but figured I would just get flamed because the context is ridiculous.

You failed to ridicule him for missing the point. I am ashamed of you MM.

@ Reaper:
    It isn't the operating system at hand, it is Internet Explorer, and yes it does have competition.

timmyisme22 says thanks.
  12. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I see a lot of hostility towards the EU based on allegations of spurious motives for unnecessary free-market interference, resentment of success or a blatant cash grab.

I fail to see why MS did not comply - if they provide a quality product, most people will choose it when given the option anyway and however ludricrous a regulation appears, I do not feel that a company's intentional failure to comply should ever be applauded - whether or not the regulation is fair, logical or in need of revision is an entirely different question.

13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Because all laws are just and should be followed. :rolleyes: If the EU really believed it was a REAL issue they could simply ban Windows from being sold in EU nations. Instead we get a petty fine to add to the EU's coffers. Its a cash grab.

Because sometimes its to easy man. I get a sense of abuse and I hold back. Sometimes I have mercy.

14. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    if i was the EU i would give them a small fine and if they did something wrong again and they didn't respect the law i would give them a big to pay

15. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    Company trading laws or sanctions imposed by a region the size of Europe? Yes they should always be followed by companies that wish to avoid fines - again why place the onus on the EU, we can at least agree that however ridiciulous the regulation appears, there are little grounds for complaint - Microsoft had little to do if it wished to avoid the cash grab, and it may well be a cash grab, bit before anyone points the finger, it isn't the only one occurring ;)

16. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    This is lame, sue MAC OSX then, i bet they don't have a screen to choose a browser from.
    I don't find anything wrong with bundling the browser. Everyone is completely free to choose their browser, and ms doesnt block any other browsers

w3b, eidairaman1 and timmyisme22 say thanks.
  17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    EU can go suck a fattie i say. MS could screw EU over by just dropping support to them permanently, or not releasing OS or other programs to them.

remixedcat says thanks.
  18. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Greece, Ireland, Italy, Spain, and Portugal draining EU's coffers; EU sues American corporations to pad their wallets. Nothing new here.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    They pay a fine of 1 billion, but their net income is over 10 billion in EU...Keep dreaming of dropping support in EU, hehe. :toast::laugh:

20. mtosev

mtosev New Member

Thanks Received:
    nope

In March 2004, the EU ordered Microsoft to pay €497 million ($794 million or £381 million), the largest fine ever handed out by the EU at the time, in addition to the previous penalties, which included 120 days to divulge the server information and 90 days to produce a version of Windows without Windows Media Player.[4][5][6]
    Microsoft already had problems with the EU before the debt crisis

21. Covert_Death

Thanks Received:
    why does EU think they can dictate how Windows gets packaged???

should we force car manufacturers to offer different companies engines? noooooooo
    should we force all restaurants to offer something on their menu from a competitor? nooooooo

i mean seriously, its their software! the EU should have ZERO jurisdiction to dictate how M$ builds and packages their OS, especially for including their own software....

too put it simply, what the EU is doing in unethical. but whats new, too much these days is unethical i think we just accept it as the norm

why not sue apple?! the iPhone doesn't even ALLOW alternative browsers, now THATS a monopoly, NO?

Wake up EU! Too much crumpets and tea you have had

22. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Careful when you blame EU. They have no more control over their asshats than we do ours. And believe me, ours is much worse.

23. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    quickly assassinate European Commission and executed operation Valkyre !

24. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft should just ship all EU versions of Windows without a web browser at all.

25. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Probably shouldnt ship with TCP/IP either, as there are competing products out there.