1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ever feel you are extremely PROUD of your nationality? Today & recently, I have!

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by Alec§taar, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    I am sort of 'into' computer security, and I like writing code (for work & for fun (well, @ times it's NOT fun, but rather a challenge)), & today?

I AM GLAD THAT I AM OF POLISH DESCENT!

Why? WELL, recently, a couple of Polish security researchers are helping to better Windows VISTA as well as FireFox in its latest release 2.0.0.2!

See these evidences of my statement & why I feel this way today, here:

==================================================
    SLASHDOT: MICHAEL ZALEWSKI - FireFox having a bad month:

http://it.slashdot.org/it/07/02/24/1320227.shtml

----------------------------------------------------------------

& recently as well, Joanna Rutkowska (technical fellow @ Microsoft) here:

Hacker, Microsoft duke it out over Vista design flaw:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=29

:) ² (the power of 2, by ALL means, because of those 2 folks above, helping to 'shore up our defenses' by finding the holes possible & pointing them out, for EVERYONE to benefit from, by pressuring the OEM's of Windows & FireFox, to do better, & HOW)...

The latter one especially "blows me away", because she's a girl... you don't see many in our trade, & imo, VERY FEW that can 'duke it out' w/ the likes of Dr. Mark Russinovich & get the better of him largely, & also be a "Microsoft Technical Fellow" (in her case, a lass) as well!

LOL, the world needs MORE LIKE HER imo! Don't you all agree? Smart, & imo, she's HOT too!

* And, the fact that POLISH PROGRAMMERS are being said to be the "TOP RATED CODERS" out of academia there is... see here:

Polish programmers and schools the best in the world:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1535082/posts

(Plenty of links from there that point to it as well w/ in that page... even above the Russkies, whom I always considered EXTREMELY "top-notch", having known a few & worked w/ many professionally, & also in personal projects while in academia!)

& also

Cause for Concern? Americans Are Scarce In Top Tech Contest

http://online.wsj.com/public/articl...D8d3aZ4HFijEN8r_DOdJQ_20070509.html?mod=blogs

"By contrast, there were eight from Russia, and four each from Norway and China. The biggest delegation -- 11 -- came from Poland."

NOW, do I truly believe there is a "BEST" anything? Honestly, no...

Everyone + ANYONE, & everything, has its day, or days (good vs. bad) in various conditions/scenarios, but this is nice to be made aware of, because I AM one of these folks (but, 1st generation "American" here though).

APK

P.S.=> This makes me laugh though, everytime I hear a "Polish joke" (which 99% of them you can insert nationality X, Y, thru Z into them & they are still the same)... because this outright puts that b.s. to shame!

That, & the fact my people (Polish) broke the "Enigma" code the Nazi's used as well (supposedly unbreakable) & all the years ago they did it, w/ out the benefits we have today for this afaik (like computers), as well...

So much for the "polish are stupid" thing... lol! apk

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    You SHOULD be... they are one HELL of a force to be reckoned w/, & especially after WWII & even up to today.

I have worked w/ Russian guys in academia & professionally the last 20 years, & they ARE truly EXTREMELY well-educated by way of comparison to most folks in the states & not just computer programming or math/science, but also culturally, largely.

LOL, man... that's everywhere - those things are NOT uniquely "russian", so if they are considered 'bad', it's not isolated to you russkies ONLY!

That's part of YOUR culture - I know, I used to have a BEST PAL that was from Russia & he was smarter than hell (VP @ Cablevision now in fact) coding & on MANY things... others I have worked with also amazed me in their skillset in this field, & other things as well.

When they celebrated things w/ me? We hit the vodka... & from what I understand, this is also part of doing business there almost - business deals are done while tipping a shot or two, as a sign of good faith & all that.

Cultural diff., but, lol - ONE I LIKE, personally (not TOO much though, because my buddies' Dad, whom my father also got along great with, even though my Dad was not a Dual Math/Science PhD like his was, drank me under the table once, bad, lol!)

Russians (true bialo (white) Russians & Polish, Czechs, + others) = Same base tribe in antiquity largely, as my folks - slavic nations!

APK

3. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I've seen a WW1 movie or two where the Polish soldiers are the lowest ranked/most made fun of...and then they turned out to be the heroes :).

4. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's lame, most of the time I ignore it (for the reasons cited in my P.S. in my last post above & because of the material in the post itself)... because what is above is NO movie, it's real!

:)

* Small sampling thereof only no less...

APK

P.S.=> As far as 'polish war heros'? Plenty of that, abounds:

http://www.google.com/search?q="Polish war hero"&hl=en&start=20&sa=N

BUT, personally, I value intellect over brawn, & mainly because since I am getting older, I can literally guarantee you guys all 1 thing - YOUR MIND WILL OUTLAST YOUR BODY, 9/10 times, barring disease... apk

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  5. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Exact same as my pal who is the CableVision VP above... extreme intellect. He is one of the few folks I know that I steer clear of debates with, IF I want to win them, that is.

He's one of the FEW GUYS I know, that can make me say "Well, damn - I never thought of it THAT way, or about that point (exception or enhancement) of view on subject X, Y, Z etc."

Learning, lose or win, no matter what & I LIKE THAT!

His Dad above whom I mention? Dual PhD math & comp. sci., & GOOD GUY too, God rest his soul... he's gone now. Too bad, awesome person & easy to get along with too. You'd never know he had that in his skull, just talking with him either.

From what my pal told me? Jews in general, BREED LARGELY FOR INTELLIGENCE... is this true?? Even though it came from his mouth, I had trouble with it (because he did not like it - his parents tried to 'force him' to marry who THEY thought was the 'right girl for him' & he did it HIS OWN WAY, & did well, blowing that off).

He's doing the RIGHT thing: Pouring gas on a fire that has potential to burn well... indulging & encouraging what you are good @ & interested in.

Best thing parents can do, beside advise you against things that are NOT good alongside it.

APK

6. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, especially in business, & MORE IMPORTANTLY, that they stick together like SUPERGLUE, heck, better... it is one of the Jewish tribe's strengths I admire (though, it has caused them problems as well, like so many things in life can, imo @ least).

Sometimes, natural selection works though, & surprisingly well... largely, it's NOT just geared to intellect, but also sexually to 'symmetry = beauty' on male's parts, lol, largely imo... & from females, it's more "what kind of a man is he & how good of a provider for cubs we might make" type of evaluations... imo @ least!

Still, I understood what you are saying, because 2 of my best friends in this life have been Jewish.

(I * may * be, because of a name in my Mom's family tree, but she denies this... but, it was LONG ago, so who knows? My brother thinks it is true, & me?? Well, when I don't know what is what, or what to do?? I do NOTHING... until I have more data or thought on it, lol!)

You stick by your old man - sounds like he'll take you far! It's tough when you're younger, & especially when you find out "daddy can't fix everything"!

(E.G. -> I went thru that myself as a 3 yr. old boy looking @ a cat some dogs had killed in front of me & I told my Ma "Daddy will fix it!!!" crying, but she told me the 'skinny' on that, only God could etc.)

Family IS always going to be your best pal, bar-none...

They'll take you no matter what & help you (sometimes not friendly help either, but you see in hindsight it was, been there)...

NITPICKING TIME (lol, not serious, but, here goes):

You forgot to type your main (int is good, lol) & your curly brackets!!!

Some other stuff, like the pause statement (not familiar w/ it but understand this is pseudocode on your end for logic illustrations)

&

Your circular reference using GOTO (this you meant as a joke right)?

This is subject to debate & FOR YEARS I have said & felt GOTO has its place in certain situations!

(I.E./E.G.-> Errtraps (VB6 + below versions especially relied HEAVILY on it, IF you wanted bulletproof code that is & MS favored it even & listed it as the method of errtrap largely above structured compiler errtrapping - now in VB.NET/ASP.NET moving to the Delphi syntax of Try-Catch (try finally in Delphi, try-finally/except actually: Makes sense, the designer of Delphi is now in charge of .NET @ MS in Anders Heijelsberg))

&

As a single way out of code only, no spaghetti logic allowed & IS FASTER THAN SELECT-CASE & IF-THEN in fact (for evaluations & branching)... this recently has been proven in fact. See here:

SLASHDOT - GOTO leads to faster code

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/28/1257216

Virtual Machine Opcode Resolution, Performance Tests

http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/TimingVM.asp?df=100&forumid=121677&exp=0&select=964057

"According to the numbers, the computed goto method is faster than the two switch-on-opcode methods."

APK

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  7. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know, I said so above (not serious, etc. & nitpicking et al)...

* BUT THE POINT WAS THERE & THIS IS ABOUT PROGRAMMING!

LOL!

APK

8. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got ya, but please... lol:

HEY -> "DOWNSIZE" the photo man! IT'S TOO BIG!!!

* Thanks!

APK

P.S.=> By-the-by -> I love the BEATLES: I was 'raised on them' mainly, by my Sis & Uncle who gave us ALL OF THEIR ALBUMS (& I have them still, originals, probably worth a GOOD buck to the right folks like collectors, etc.)... apk

9. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    My fav. one...

Not beach boys, LOL, not @ ALL, when it comes to the tune "Sexy Sadie"...

VERY FEW bands qualify here, in my book @ least, as well - this IS imo, the 'mark of the great ones' in any genre, be it entertainment, athletics, academics, you-name-it, in any field of endeavour.

(LedZepplin & U2 are the closest I have heard to date that also qualify on this account, & moreso on the former band.)

It amazes me, that imo, you ARE telling the truth - simply because I still see young folks getting into bands of the 60's & 70's, even today.

Again - the mark of great ones, is standing the test of time as well as NOT 'pumping out albums w/ only 2-3 great tunes on them, saving the others for more albums to make money from', etc. et al.

Well, one source @ least, possibly.

As far as success, Paul McCartney (SIR Paul that is, must give respect where it is due), made a PILE... one of the richest men in Rock-N-Roll, afaik @ least.

APK

P.S.=> And please, lol, though I like the Beatles & THAT album? Can you 'downsize the photo' just a bit... thanks! apk

10. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    A bit tinier please, & I meant the one above mostly... it's way, Way, WAY too big!

* Thanks for taking the time to resize it, it is appreciated!

APK

P.S.=> We're the only ones, besides 'Z' who contributed... very odd! I would have thought more folks would have, but, oh well! apk

11. mysticjon New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah even though MANY other nationalities thinks us asians are weird, we do alot of things better than other countries....and no im not stereotyping my own kind...and not trying to put everyone else down....we do rock better than americans/uk heck we even do RAP and R&B better than african americans.....im open to ALL music, i have been living in the USA all my life and when i hear or read about stuff they do in the asian countries, im proud.......many whites still think theres child labour and corruptness.... Rock music in japan kicks as$ japanese metal just amazes me, like even though rock originated in the UsAandUK areas.....i respct that but eventually u have to get passed the whole "blues crap" which is why i like music from asian countries such as japan ;) imo and im nt tryin to start anything but im proud of being asian, and i wouldnt choose any other race....

12. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I have a friend who is half Polish, I always make fun of her. And I get away with it.

And Russianboy, you shouldn't make fun of drugs, my people take drugs very seriously, just like whores btw.

13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    That's because your people are junkies. :p

@russianboy: Can you please remove the two first images? They're not necessery now and they take time to load! Think about the poor, poor 56k-guys.

14. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Apparently she knows better...

I don't understand that... what did you mean by your people take drugs very seriously?

APK

15. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I'm Dutch remember ;) Whores and drugs are a valid industry here.

16. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heh, ok, that's right...

Hey, imo?

Well BOTH ought to be legal EVERYWHERE imo @ least. It's funny, because prostitution is legal in the U.S.A. in Las Vegas, but not everywhere else... wtf, right?

* AND, BOTH SHOULD BE TAXED TO HIGH HECK TO OFFSET NATIONAL DEBT & WHAT-NOT!

(Because I know 1 thing: You can't stop people wanting to "escape" or have a good time via chemicals (look @ the lack of success w/ US prohibition in the 1920-1930 etc. timeframe))

Would I recommend their use? NO!

APK

P.S.=> Amsterdam hasn't fallen apart because of it, & probably profits by it. I could care less if a woman sells herself for sex, they all do anyhow if you think about it (taking them out to dinner, drinks, movies, whatever for YOU-KNOW-WHAT in the end lol)

& drugs?

Hey - if folks want to take them, it is a personal choice (their minds/bodies)... Once more, I really wouldn't recommend them, but to each his own! apk

17. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    They didn't need to be removed, just resized... but, whatever!

Nothing @ the moment, why do you ask?

It is awesome... this part blows me away:

======================================

She said "I know what it's like to be dead.
    I know what it is to be sad"
    And she's making me feel like I've never been born.

I said "Who put all those things in your head?
    Things that make me feel that I'm mad
    And you're making me feel like I've never been born."

======================================

* Wild stuff... iirc, Lennon wrote its lyrics about his being @ some party & being on some major acid trip (OR the girl was) or some type of drug, lol, & this was his feedback surrounding that scene... but not sure anymore!

APK

18. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your people are great, imo, the ENTIRE "Asian Tribe" as I call it...

See, afaik? You folks have the longest recorded histories on the planet (along w/ India) afaik, 5000++ yrs. worth.

Hey, from what little I have heard about it? Well, apparently, when us "caucasians" were running around with stone knives & bearskins? From what I understand, you folks had written language & culture going already.

From what I stated above about the Beatles & LedZeppelin on THIS note? The great ones stand the test of time.

* Plus, everyone respects you folks came up w/ your form of martial arts, & their derivatives... amazing stuff.

(Thank goodness for Frank Dux in the 1970's - 1980's, because w/ out him? We'd have NO STANDING in that arena, up to him @ least imo, (yours) in battle of that type.)

Where various Asian nations blow me away the most though? Standing up right w/ us, passing us & even the Russians, @ the Olympics.

As well you should be...

APK

P.S.=> Plus, hey - I drive a Korean car, & MAN! I love it... Tiburon GT V-6 std. stickshift (does 140mph & gets there F A S T - trust me, I'm not complaining about your engineering skills either)... apk

19. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why are you posting about revolver and stuff like that in this thread? I am totaly lost.

understanding from the title:

CZECH REPUBLIC FTW
    SKODA FTW
    CZECH REPUPLIC SPECIAL FORCES FTW

and guess who invented porsche

20. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I only did in response to russianboy... he likes his music, & apparently, in particular, the Beatles (odd, because they're a 60's band, & he IS a 'child of the 21st' more-or-less, imo @ least).

I would have said Germans, but then again, Professor Porsche is what? Tell me... thanks!

* I don't know much about some cultures, like DanTheBanjoMan's, so I didn't comment too much... but, you are also a "slavic tribe" descendant, like myself, if you are a Czech! So, you can't be TOO bad, lol!

APK

P.S.=> I only really have met 1 person in this life in REAL LIFE "outside the Matrix here" who was a Czech, & that was back in 2003, & in NYC when I lived + worked there...

Her name was Lenka, & she was the coolest (honest girl, & good girl too, not many of those around... @ least in the USA, imo). I went w/ her to the DMV to get my license renewed, & lol:

Every guy's head in the place was turning to follow her, everywhere she went - I thought it was OUTRIGHT hilarious... even married dudes, & one woman swatted her old man for it, was big fun!

Admittedly, I know VERY LITTLE about your particular branch of the slavic tribe, but what I do know from personal experience/meeting one of yours in real life? Well, you're good folks... Oh, I also met her Dad, but did not get to know him too well - seemed like a nice man! apk

21. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    LOL @ Alec!

hah Porsche was a czech immigrant at the begining of WWII (if I romember right)

and about that girl, she has teh same name as my mum!
    Czech Girls FTW too

22. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, it's true... my friend Lenka was not only COOL, but extremely EXTREMELY beautiful... it was a real honor even to be SEEN w/ her!

Kick A$$! I have learned a NEW THING today, & that is NOT a waste...

True that!

APK

23. Zero Cool

Zero Cool New Member

Thanks Received:
    was she slim or wider but hot?

24. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Perfectly down the middle of the "2 extremes"...

* & imo? It does NOT get better than THAT!

APK

P.S.=> She was TRULY, "optimized"... apk

25. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, she's DONE IT, YET AGAIN!!! 3x I know of this year alone...

Hacker Defeats Hardware-based Rootkit Detection:

http://it.slashdot.org/it/07/03/04/1511210.shtml

===============================================
    "Joanna Rutkowska's latest bit of rootkit-related research shatters the myth that hardware-based (PCI cards or FireWire bus) RAM acquisition is the most reliable and secure way to do forensics. At this year's Black Hat Federal conference, she demonstrated three different attacks against AMD64 based systems, showing how the image of volatile memory (RAM) can be made different from the real contents of the physical memory as seen by the CPU. The overall problem, Rutkowska explained, is the design of the system that makes it impossible to reliably read memory from computers. "Maybe we should rethink the design of our computer systems so they they are somehow verifiable," she said."
    ===============================================

* This girl's A-OK imo!

(Wish there were more like her in this field!)

APK

P.S.=> Again, she's making me proud of my heritage & so is Micheal Zalewski as well, per his "exploit a day for a month" doing research into improving FireFox via finding security holes in it...

Still, I have to admit to her work being a BIT more impressive to me @ least on 2 grounds:

1.) The area Ms. Rutkowska is working in, is imo @ least (kernel level stuff) more difficult than trying to attack a browser program

&

2.) The very fact she IS a woman, & into + VERY GOOD @ this field... better than most guys are imo!

I suppose this comment @ SLASHDOT (some of the hardest critics there is online imo, especially about Windows period) says it better than I can:

-----------------------------------------------------------
    http://it.slashdot.org/it/07/03/04/1511210.shtml
    She's a girl
    (Score:4, Funny)
    by LS (57954) on Sunday March 04, @12:09PM (#18227342)
    (http://slashdot.org/)
    and reasonably cute, blah blah basement blah blah over 30 blah blah imaginary blah blah

Albeit, she's a regular "Yuriko DeathStrike", in the computer world! Which again, imo, is GREAT to see

[​IMG]

... we need more like her!

apk

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007