1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ever get more than you expected or were supposed to?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Robert-The-Rambler, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    I just recently purchased this USB DAC/soundcard from Newegg for the exclusive use of playing CDs noise free from my PC via headphones at the standard resolution of 16 bit 44.1. Now it states in the specs that its maximum supported audio is 16 bit 48khz. It is supposed to be a C-Media based CM6206 based chipset. The specs are also listed here at C Media.

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/ProductsDetail.aspx?page=p&C1Serno=25&C2Serno=26&PSerno=23

Here is the product at Newegg.

SYBA SD-AUD20040 7.1 Channels 48KHz USB Interface ...

The first time I connected the card to the front USB it supported the analog specs as stated but did not detect the optical digital connection at all. How is that for quality drivers? I went into the sound options in Windows 7 and only 16 44.1 and 48khz were available. Deciding it was too messy to plug into the front I connected the USB cable to the back and a new set of drivers installed with a new set of options for analog use. Now I've got everything from telephone quality at 8000hz all the way to studio quality at 24 bit 96khz. Can't say that I ever remember seeing so many frequency options. And now the digital option works at 16 bit up to 48khz with support for Dolby Digital, DTS, and WMA passthrough I suppose. Well, I am pretty damn happy with the unexpected results and I'm listening to the DVD-Audio from Led Zeppelin called How The West Was Won with the 24 bit 96khz setting enabled connected to a Behringer MA400 headphone amp. Not bad sound at all for a $25 USB DAC and a $25 headphone amp. I'm using the Sennheiser HD 515 headphones. Man, Robert Plant's voice can be like screeching chalk on a blackboard sometimes. He is much better in the studio I guess.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KUCQXY/?tag=tec06d-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001FTVDG/?tag=tec06d-20

The whole setup only costs about $100 for some 24 bit 96khz audiophile support. ;) LOL

Has anybody seen anything like this? The supplied drivers on the CD are supposed to support Windows 7. The downloaded ones from Syba do the same. None of the drivers on the CD that came with the card work and every time I try to install the Xear 3D software it says the card aint connected. That would enable EAX 2.0 support. Frankly I don't care about those drivers not working but to get added features without paying for strictly music use which is what I wanted anyway is awesome. I also have an X-Fi Xtreme audio for gaming in that little PC setup that I use for multimedia and casual gaming.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
  3. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Didn't need the DG

I have a rather complicated setup in my Bat Cave of a bedroom. This USB DAC purchase was more of an experiment in comparison to my other 2 USB DAC soundcards in the Soundblaster X-Fi Surround and X-FI HD USB. It compares quite well save for not having a headphone amp like the HD USB. The other thing is that internal sound cards are not as good for headphone use depending on your setup as they are more exposed to electrical interference and buzzing is possible. Anyhow I have the internal PCI version of the X-Fi Xtreme Audio connected to my Pioneer VSX-1016-TXV-k receiver. That headphone ouput is real good. I also never really considered the DG as I already have several headphone amps like the Behringer MA400 and HA400 already so it would not have been necessary to have a lower power headphone amp. I have 4 Xonar DS. Thanks for the advice anyway. :)