1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Everything turned to notepad

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Techtu, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Ok this is for my brother and I'll apologise now for the lack of info you and I may receive during this thread.

From what I know he tried to open an unknown file type and somehow has totally naffed the settings so isn't able to open any file almost because of this. here's a screen print of his desktop.

[​IMG]

As you can see, seem's to all look like notepad files :laugh:

If you need any more info on this let me know what exactly and i'll dig it up myself.

2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Maybe this?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4174/fixing-when-all-thumbnail-icons-show-the-same-or-wrong-image/

Also, don't want to know what that one picture in the middle left is... wtf. :cry:

[​IMG]

3. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    change the file name to xxx.LNK (xxx being whatever is already before the dot.) should work. If not, then you'll have to enable viewing of known filetypes extensions. Im at work on an XP computer atm, so someone else jump in and walk him through how to enable that in w7

4. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Your option didn't work :ohwell: and as for the video/pic I have no idea and I aint even going to ask :laugh:

Changing the file name didn't work either as it won't let him apparently.

5. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Run scanners. Full sensor sweep, maximum range.

Aft thrusters to full, hard to port!

I want shields at maximum Mr. Scotty and I don't want to hear that shit about not having enough power.

Other than my star trek reference, you could try changing the registry settings in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT... Real pain in the ass though. If you have system restore enabled you can manually restore the registry to a previous date or use the System Restore interface and have it done automatically.

Techtu says thanks.
  6. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Papahyooie is kinda right, the .LNK files association (shortcuts) are messed up, let me just boot up Windows 7 and I'll get a registry fix (copy from mine).

EDIT: Here you go, execute this two registry files (add to registry, executing as admin is probably required), reboot the machine and see if it fixes.

If you are not sure if these files are safe, please do open them with notepad (pun intended) and you can see that these only add two classes under HKCR.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
    Techtu says thanks.
  7. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    :roll: Sure thing Captain but we now have further information following the destruction of this system :laugh:

Here's what I found, and can't/don't know how to change back to it's original state

[​IMG]

Notice what is managing the file extension's?

8. Perseid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Run ComboFix. If that doesn't work, run HijackThis and look for entries related to that FileCure thing. Also, google FileCure.

You might need to use cmd to actually run any of these programs.

Techtu says thanks.
  9. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    Filecure sounds suspicious... could be a virus. What is definitely wrong is the shortcuts are being associated with notepad instead of .LNK (shortcut file type.) Probably the reason you werent able to do it is because known filetype extensions are still hidden, so essentially when you rename it its making it xxx.lnk.txt. You want it to be xxx.lnk WITHOUT the txt. You will have to enable showing of known filetypes, which is the part I don't have in front of me to do.

Then again Temp02's reg fixes should work just fine.

10. Perseid New Member

Thanks Received:
  11. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    wasn't there just a big announcement about vulnerabilities to the LNK files and how they work

I say its time to wipe and reload

12. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Meh... I'm sick of doing it for him to be honest, Once every few month's he comes round with his laptop with a sad face talking really nice and softly... I think that's more annoying than having to actually re-install his OS :laugh:

13. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    Yes, its a "pirate program." It literally hijacks your computer and demands you pay in order to fix itself. Many of these programs pose as anti-spyware or antivirus programs. They tell you that your computer is infected and that you should buy thier software to fix it. (when their software is indeed the virus) Should be classified as cyber-terrorism, IMO.

14. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is what I meant when I said
    There was some serious business in my joke.

Run it down the list:
    Combofix>Hijackthis>MBAM>sending a picture of something really really nasty to wade.clayton@paretologic.com from an anonymous email address

I'd honestly skip to the last bit myself. Tell your friend to fork over a wad of cash so you can buy him a copy of I'mNotFixingItAgain4Free Asshat Edition.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010