1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA 550Ti Superclocked won't idle down

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Hood, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I noticed after I installed beta driver 310.70 that temps at idle were way up, about 41c, so I removed the card and cleaned the fan and heatsink with compressed air (it wasn't very dirty). Still high temps afterwards, started looking at settings, and noticed that the card was no longer idling down (staying at 981 MHz core and 2257 MHz memory all the time). That explains the high temps, but how do I fix this problem. I tried a completely clean install of the stable driver (306.97) per a guide on the proper way to update Nvidia drivers, but the problem remains. Checked all the BIOS settings, multiple monitor is disabled, etc. Checked all settings in Nvidia Control Panel. Any help will be much appreciated! BTW I am using Windows 8 Pro x64
  2. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    i have the same issue with a 560ti but only when i use the hdmi for sound, are you passing sound thru it too?
  3. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    No, I'm using the optical SPDIF from the on board Realtek ALC892. This issue just started a few days ago after updating to the latest beta driver. I did notice 3D Vision on the start menu, even though I've never installed it, but it's an empty link.

Update; I "fixed" the problem by re-imaging my SSD with an image I made 4 days ago, and when it was done I noticed I was running the new beta driver (310.70) and the card was idling down like it should. So once again, I don't know how I broke it, or how I fixed it!
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  4. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    idk dude, i was just sharing my findings from them too but i am dling the latest none betas as i type as it shouldnt be doing it imo.