1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA geforce 760 boot problems

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Naweo, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Naweo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello. I have had troubleshooting with nvidia live support and they concluded that I should get my card replaced as they suspect it is a graphics card defect. Still, I wish to get additional knowledge in attempt to resolve the issue.

Specs:

Msi z77a-g45 (DEFAULT BIOS)

CPU: 3770k i7

Card: EVGA gtx geforce 760 (1x, non-sli)

Windows 7 64 bit

PSU: Corsair TX 750w

Now, after I have reinstalled my previous GTX nvidia 550 card without problems and installed my new card, the error seems to persist at the following:

1. 30-40 seconds of idle time on a "b2 black screen", b2 written at the bottom corner of the screen. Nvidia consulent suggests this is common when there is lack of power.

2. After 40 seconds, a green-blue-red veritcal line flash screen appears for 2 seconds and I proceed to windows as if nothing was wrong. The card is listed under device manager without errors and is also registered for use in nvidias latest driver. However, I have NOT stress tested that card since if there are any problems I do not wish to furhter cause more problems.

Why does this black screen + RGB screen happen, when nothing seems to be wrong?

I have done this:

1. Switched graphics card with gtx 550 without problems on that card.
    2. Switched PCI-e cables to see if that was the issue.

3. reinstalled the card several times thoroughly and carefully

4. CMOS my bios and ensured that the settings there are default

I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

2. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    It probably is the card, but: did you reinstall the drivers for the 760, or did you simply switch the cards? You CAN get by on that sometimes, but I believe the driver package contains specifics for each GPU, and if you aren't installing with the GPU you are using, you can get some errors and problems, because the specifics were loaded for the previous GPU..

Nonetheless, it does appear it might be on its last legs.

3. Naweo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well since the graphics card uses the same driver as my previous card, I donĀ“t see how this is an issue?

also. Drivers arent supposed to be loaded pre-windows, and this problem is basically before bios. I dont even see the bios screen (millitary class 3) screen when loading.

Also, its not on its last legs, its on its FIRST LEGS. it is completely new!

4. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    As I said, it's probably not driver-related. But just to make a correction, the DRIVER is the same, but the installed coding is not. When the driver gets installed it searches for the specific card it is supposed to communicate with, and tailors itself to that card. That's all I'm saying. Many times you can get by without doing a fresh install, but not always.

5. Naweo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will try, thanks.

6. Naweo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bios update worked :)

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  7. GorbazTheDragon

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, would be surprised that the old BIOS has trouble recognizing the GPU.

8. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    very glad to hear you worked it out!