1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA GTX 780 SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooler 3072 MB

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by W1zzard, May 24, 2013.

1. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not saying this happens to everyone. I'm saying it happened to me.. and it sucks. I'd love to use Evga, I think they are a very good company. They just seem to lack in QC when it comes to the hardware I buy from them/get returned from them from another RMA.

2. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    Since you are in the know, what do you think on an sli setup of Gigabyte Windforce 3X coolers? I currently own a Gigabyte 670 Windforce 3X and am considering adding another.

3. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    Same toughts about, that will be a killer SLI setup without any temps issues.... Windorce from Gigabyte is one of the best custom coolers ever made since they started to Mount on all graphics cards models, you will not regret of your purchase.

In a open cooler if air invests the heatsink to the side or from the front are extremely useful in addition to helping the on board 3-fans with fresh air.

Hilux SSRG says thanks.
  4. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    At 25x16 this card dwarfs the 680 and the 7970GE while offering the best performance per watt.
    Nice...

5. Amrael

Amrael

Thanks Received:
    I think you would do well to do that. 2 670's in Sli pulverize almost everything you throw at it and I have heard great things from the windforce 3. I personally have two EVGA 4GB FTw +'s and can't complain but they do get hot, really hot. Even with that drawback i have been able to play everything (every new game) on max settings with little to no fuss. Although word of caution, games like Alan Wake, Farcry 3 and Arkham City don't work well with multi card setups so learn the "manage 3d settings" section of the Nvidia control panel so that you can get the max out of it. For example in Alan wake you need to run msaa@ 8x Sli so that one of the cards is just used as an ati aliasing processor and the game doesn't recognize them as Sli otherwise Flicker fest. Farcry 3 doesn't play well with sli (at least not in my machine) so I disable Sli for it and run it on ultra with MSAA set to 2 and Arkham City I run the same as Alan Wake but with maybe Sli 8 or Sli 16 MSAA. Those are the drawbacks but in all other games like Crysis 3 I run it full throttle. And this setup outmatches even Titan by at least 15% for more or less the same price.

Hilux SSRG says thanks.
  6. Amrael

Amrael

Thanks Received:
    This one comes pretty close though and it has some room still for overclocking (and it costs $160 less oh and it has a Lifetime warranty).

SPARKLE 700021 (CALIBRE -- GTX680) GeForce GTX 680...

7. Casecutter

Thanks Received:
    It's nice and the cooler works great, almost better than what I would've imagine when first seeing the picture of how EVGA did the heat pipes and construction. I didn't see it surpassing the vapor chamber even with two fans.

I mean in the picture of the backside of the cooler it surprised me it wasn't an actual direct-touch, though would be hard to get all the (5 in this case) H-P stacked against the chip. The spreader in itself isn't a huge hindrance as long as the spreader plate has good close-fitting contact; although it doesn’t give me that impression looking at the edges. Plus spreader plate to me apportion amount dead space, and really only 3 H-P's under contact with the chip. Then note that so much surface of the H-P’s on that one half have partial contact with the fins and appears to also be entirely devoid of air flow (is that some plate underneath?). That half seems fairly inept at aiding any significant heat transfer. There's that one pipe that loops (U bent), couldn't tell by any of the W!zs' pic's, but found an EVGA rendering that shows it on the outside... whew they had me worried. Bottom line it cools better on the same dbA (perhaps better under OC’n), although not near the Gigabyte’s cooler though 3 fans.

So here's the thing, this cooler performs better they provide a decent OC out of the box, but is the cooler saving EVGA money over the factory Titan with it's glowing GeForce...? I'll wager it‘s more than you could fathom. Here's the other thing, other than some small etched printing on the edge when installed... is it a GTX780? From 3 feet away it's hard to know it's a premium card. EVGA should have done something to absolutely distinguish when in your chassis, because it give the impression of any "generic" $350 enthusiast offering.

8. HumanSmoke

HumanSmoke

Thanks Received:
    Ah, but from 3 feet away it's hard to know the Gigabyte's a premium card !!!!
    [​IMG]
    Who knows? How much do two dual-ball bearing fans cost versus a single blower ? The overall cooler is probably cheaper to produce than the reference item, but then you can't take this one item in isolation. EVGA are charging $10 - a 1.5% premium for a 12% core overclock. Seems like an OK deal when considering the cooler seems to work OK.
    Depends on whether you like understated or bling. If you're the type of person that places the value of hardware on the number of LED's it carries then I guess you'd be looking elsewhere. Personally, I don't spend a lot of time staring at my hardware.
    [​IMG]

9. Casecutter

Thanks Received:
    Everyone has an opinion. I'm just one to say mine with requiring prompting. I suppose it hardly matters either way... as most of what you’ll notice is just as always a non-stimulating PCB.

10. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    I like this card! The price is too high for me, but it packs a nice punch :toast:

Also, nice job W1zz! :respect:

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. HumanSmoke

HumanSmoke

Thanks Received:
    Well, that's true. I would say that at least EVGA has both options covered since they seem to offer the cards with both the reference cooler and the ACX. The reference blower fan adds some bling and "solidity", but for those using multi GPU I'm picking the ACX version might offer its own advantages.

12. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    I have question on the listed power of 300w for 6pin +8pin plugs .

I thought, PCI-E slot =75 , 6pin =75w (each 2 wire(+,-)=25w)
    so if you have 2 6pins 150+75 = 225 , how does extra 2 wires = 75 extra watts ?
    I come up with 25w per set , so 7 set = 175+75w for slot ,total 250w

13. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    The two additional wires on the 8 pin are actually ground.

In theory even a 6 pin could carry 150w (even more to be honest) but that wouldn't be listed as safe by PCIe specs.

Take the 6990 for example, it was double 8 pin (300w) plus pcie slot (75w) for a total of 375w.
    When the secondary BIOS was activated the card would raise its TDP to 450w
    All this just to say that even if pcie specs list fixed values for connectors they aren't necessarily a physical limit.

14. Xzibit

Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    PCI-E 1.0 = 75w
    PCI-E 2.0 = 150w
    PCI-E 3.0 = 300w
    *They are exception with x.1 specs

6-pin = 75w
    8-pin = 150w

Those are the power delivery options depending on your setup.

You could put the card in a PCI-E 1.0 MotherBoard and still deliver the 300watts.
    On a Sandy-Bridge system you could deliver up to 375w to the card if need be and on Ivy-Bridge systems 525w.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  15. Ed_1

Thanks Received:
    Ahh, thanks that clears thing up , I forgot about different slot PCIE versions .
    P8Z77 are version 3.0 I think .

16. Rei86

Thanks Received:
    Great cards, thinking about picking up three of these or wait it out for the FTW/Classified/Lightning models. Shoved the Titan's I have ATM in the backup rig and piecing together a IVY E build.

Wait...how did your warranty expire on a -AR card?

17. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Not interested in Ivy E in the minimum, unless this will be your first LGA2011 build, I'm positive in most tasks (except maybe for highly threaded apps) Haswell will be faster.

To me it's a shame the 2011 platform has fallen so far behind when in comes to updates when compared to mainstream desktop parts, Intel should've skipped Ivy E entirely and released Haswell E, but then again, it wouldn't have been compatible with X79 most likely...

as for the 580, not all models are AR parts, there's KR parts too, but even those have a 3 year warranty, so that doesn't make much sense either....

18. Rei86

Thanks Received:
    I knew some where KR but most of EVGA's 580s where ARs

As for the 2011 platform yeah. When I built my main rig I went with a Z77 1155 i7-3770k. Now that I'm parting it I decided to go 2011. So yes its my 1st 2011 build so I'm okay with that EOL Socket.

19. arbiter

Thanks Received:
    I think most people here agree that 3Dmark and heaven Synthetic benchmarks, really they have no bearing on real world use cases. there was one synthetic benchmark that had AMD card at 2x faster but in reality its not.

d1nky says thanks.
  20. Rei86

Thanks Received:
    You mean the 2013 3DMarks FireStrike and FireStrike Extreme that had AMD HD7950 and 7970s destroying Nvidia cards?

21. arbiter

Thanks Received:
    yea those benchmarks that mean absolutely nothing when it comes to what 99.9% of ppl that use these video cards for. Its like one those linux uptime e-penis contest's.

22. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    Just got my order in for two of these off newegg a while ago :)

Super excited to be done with CF and onto 780 SLI... the fact that I'm gonna have a setup faster than Titan SLI for 65% of the price makes me laugh at everyone who dropped $2k on Titans for gaming.

23. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been trying to buy one (maybe two of these) for a couple days now. I had a Newegg notification today that they had stock but by the time I tried to order they were out of them again:(
    You must have got them:)

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    Haha sorry about that ;)

There's a slight lag on Newegg's auto-notification emails. I use the Check4Change addon with firefox and had it checking every 30 seconds for stock yesterday... I had completed checkout before I even got the auto-notify email and they were out of stock about 10 minutes after that.

I think it's worth the wait though... the cooler looks pretty awesome and it's faster than the Titan out of the box :)

Maybe I'm just weird but I don't have the hard-on that most reviewers seem to have for the stock Titan/780 cooler.

25. Amrael

Amrael

Thanks Received:
    I think the card is pretty powerful all right, I still have my doubts about the price though. My problem is not it specifically but that card makers have been ramping up the prices of video cards every year and thats worrying, not because some people can buy them because thats a right everyone has, but because I find it ludicrous to ask for so much money for something nobody really needs. With that out of the way I have to say that the EVGA cooler looks awesome and performs really well. I have to agree with you on this one, I don't care that much about the stock cooler and I don't see what the fuss is about. Just saw the specs for the GTX 770 and the price is acceptable, the clocks are amazing lets see how they stand up to the flagship; oh and they look almost the same.