• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA GTX 960 SC artifacting after a week

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
It boosts to about 1400. The "spec" is 1126/1176. Is there a 4GB 960 rom available that has "stock" speeds? I would rather just down-flash to stock speeds (I flashed my Titan and Titan X, no worries about flashing!) It's not a performance critical machine, otherwise I wouldn't have bought a lowly 960. EVGA only offered "SC" cards for the mini 960 form factor. I usually avoid their SC cards like the plague, because every single card from them that's SC has had problems for me. Or maybe the vram needs heatsinks, it only seems to happen after an extended gaming session. Or I can re-write the voltage table perhaps ...

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Have you just tried downclcocking? Failing that, I would return it, since artifacting isn't what it is supposed to do.

It's only going to get worse with time, and you'll regret the day you decided to keep it and try to fix it or live with it.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Well so far, flashing the cards back to stock has worked. I'd rather just slash 10% off the clock (1400 -> 1260), and call it a day. Nothing lasts forever. Flashing takes 3 minutes, shipping is a pita. Surprisingly I can only lower core clock by 90 MHz with MSI AB, but I want 140.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Only three 4GB bios here at TPU and all are SC / SSC, so I rolled my own bios. Knocked off 90Mhz, we'll see how it goes. Clocks at 1300 MHz now.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
So far, so good after 8 days with the edited bios! It's a nifty little card.

System Name Intel® X99 Wellsburg
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-5820K - 4.5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage V E10 (1801)
Cooling EK RGB Monoblock + EK XRES D5 Revo Glass PWM
Memory CMD16GX4M4A2666C15
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB /850 EVO 1TB / WD Black 2TB
Display(s) Samsung P2450H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Audio Device(s) CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply EVGA 1200 P2 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G900 / SS QCK
Keyboard Deck 87 Francium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
EVGA Downclocking Champion.
Last 2 years EVGA have biggest number of unstable graphic cards on fabric settings.
Their chip selection is on same level as motherboards production.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
EVGA Downclocking Champion.
Last 2 years EVGA have biggest number of unstable graphic cards on fabric settings.
Their chip selection is on same level as motherboards production.

Every single evga SC / SSC card has given me issues. As long as I set them to stock clocks, they work fine. I suspect a lot of people just don't care about the occasional gaming CTD ("buggy game!") or slight texture corruptions ("buggy game!"). They only freak out when there are endless white squares flying everywhere, or extreme triangle madness, or hard lock / reboot / power-off. I'm sure there are golden gpu samples out there, but I've never landed one. Well, my vanilla 570 was a decent overclocker.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I like using their bios on other cards. I still have a stack of non-evga GTX470's flashed to EVGA SC bios's to get more voltage lol

Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
I will not buy EVGA products any more.
I recognize what they do... They send 90% of god chips on USA Market.
And they don't even try to treat fair Europe and Asia on same way as USA.
They more try to Americans recognize their discrimination of others and because of that to choose EVGA on USA territory as company who treat better Americans.
Their products are inferior and in most cases people will not be able to build computer from EVGA products with all new features and to work without problems.
Americans are satisfied only if their motherboards example work and no problem with memory, graphic card and CPU. They don't even compare other features with boards as ASUS ROG. But in most case premium EVGA boards are more expensive then ASUS ROG Boards. How? Because HYPE and because DIFFERENT LOOK THEY FISHING PEOPLE.
I was EVGA fan who tolerate and support their company near obvious defects, not defects but hardware without competitive options as other companies.
I always bought EVGA, I always wait months if need to import EVGA, in patience even if other people around me bought and enjoy in other products... I didn't bought ASUS TITAN Black or Gainward TITAN Black only because EVGA 780Ti K|NGP|N...
Even if people told me when you need support they will treat you worse than anonymous members with 5 posts because think you are stupid and you will continue to buy their products no matter on what.
And that's not only for me case, I saw and others Classified and Ultra Classified Members who are treat bad, who get much worse replacement for much expensive products than some members who don't care for EVGA who don't care to buy again EVGA or who don't care to visit forum again. Simple their company is not fair.
And worse of all is character of company. How many times managers and others wait to problem is fixed and than ask can they help something. Not only for me.
Last time I wait man from technical support 3 weeks to answer me with clear message that I will start RMA request when he contact me. He never contact me, he contact me when package arrive on border, when they didn't mark as I told them to explain me if I need them in future to contact him free and he didn't saw mail.
That's lies, they thought for one week I will forget and continue to buy EVGA products. NO MORE.
And they gave good example to new Members how people who years buy only EVGA products and move mountains sometimes to find EVGA only to get their junks are treated.
Always when I see EVGA name somewhere I will remember unfair treating different members.
Because of that Americans and screams on ASUS support they didn't used to be treated as others, they want everything special.
And if someone want to know real difference between quality of ASUS ROG and EVGA only to compare two facts:
Some customers are ready to tolerate inferior EVGA products and live with lack of new features because good technical support.
From other side normal customers are ready to swallow bad technical support because huge dominance and better products from ASUS.
When you compare that two facts smart people will see difference between EVGA and ASUS.
Only bad chip selection and I really think that EVGA have worse chip selection on market last 3 years and ignorance of technical support to nicely fix things will result that I will never say single nice word about that company, that I start to replace all EVGA products in PC with ASUS together and something what work normal, because it's not made by EVGA only have EVGA label. And at the moment only good stuff from EVGA are stuff made by other brand with EVGA label. And that I will only recommend ASUS to others. That's not my wish to advertise someone, I never look on that way and when I recommend EVGA, that's simple wish to other people have good products, my opinion is that they are best, I want best for self and it's normal for other people. My first products are ASUS, I learn for ASUS even before I learned difference between ATI and NVIDIA.
And when I ask ATI I ask I want ASUS ATI Radeon... they say We have ATI Radeon but not ASUS, No I don't want that... and later I recognize and ASUS GeForce and GIGABYTE GeForce, etc...
I hope EVGA will recognize that it's not good to spit on old Members in future and treat them worse than others and that will respect other people and that will not lose Classified and Ultra Classified Members. For now I only know for one brand who clearly not respect customers of premium products and own premium class that's EVGA. They send on market cards with aware that they will not be able to work one year stable on fabric clock. That would be same as someone overclock CPU to 4.9GHz and than invest all efforts to pull 5.0GHz and few time he pass stability test and he send him on market as product stable on 5.0GHz advertised for further overclocking.
Because they are aware that someone will have trouble with such cards but don't care. They will take premium price and resolve for 1-2 years when product cost 1/5 of price with some refurbished, unboxed, rest from others. And they don't recognize something bad in fact that someone can't use products on way as they advertised and planned first 1-2 years and someone who payed hardware 700-800e will have reason for RMA when card worth 150-200 euro. Because company is aware that customers will not able to use product as other people as they advertised and he will not be able to RMA because hardware barely work somehow with some rear crashes, but crashes need to become more often if you want to ask support... and until that happen time will pass and hardware will worth almost nothing. Customer can't enjoy in products, can't overclock, can't sell to other people and buy newer products but EVGA don't care for that and because of that my real recommendation is if people on USA territory scare from ASUS and their products they could call one of hundred survice who will build PC for them, test PC for them and replace if something not work. Don't live without USB 3.1, without Bluetooth, without U.2, without half dedicate Sound Card, without Wi-Fi, with 4 instead 8 phase example, don't live without fan controls, without nice softwares for same price only because "good technical support".I'm good person but if someone treat me bad he will sorry later 10.000 times. I have one DOA thing from EVGA I didn't say single words except I was sad because hardware die, but EVGA now do some very evil things with chip selection and their products not worth 10 euro more and 10 minutes efforts.
Company live on old glory when they had 2 best overclockers in same time in own crew when other brands didn't pay attention on that so much as now.
Even than ASUS dominance was obvious but one small period they have some nice products, that stop very fast and after that EVGA continue to sell products because different look, good package and good technical support for someone. I didn't saw that support. I saw ignorance, other got better products than me, they start to pay attention probably when they recognize that I'm really not joke any more and I will tell everything in public, In period when I try to finish everything nobody to know they ignore me. And I ask only not to be treated below other members. Worse of all is that ignorance in first moment and at the end I saved they video clips and upload them to see what is problem. But they are simple unable to see problem if someone pay hardware now 700-800euro and use him for 2 years because in first time that hardware is not good but no clear reason for RMA and you can only wait moment to completely show sign of instability and than to call technical support. Until than other people replace two generation of cards, you can't sell to anybody, you can't use, you look Americans how get best products, etc.

Sorry for this LONG LONG post but people need to used with EVGA to downclock cards, I think that even NVIDIA build Debug function because of them.
And I recommend to NVIDIA to sell all good chips I class to ASUS. Because I'm little little step from Radeon. And only what separate me from that step is because I can't afford ARES or dual GPU and best ASUS single cards are GeForce and they are same quality, faster than EVGA but much cheaper.

Last edited:
System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
I honestly can't point to a single computer parts company that has consistent support in the consumer space. Consumer pricing has a lot to do with that situation.

EVGA and nVidia and AMD and Intel are all companies in USA, so it's not a surprise the products are cheapest and better supported here.

Honestly, I regard EVGA "premium" products as gadgets for spendy overclockers and watercoolers. I doubt the one-off specialty products are any more reliable than the stock design. Far fewer are produced so RMA becomes even more sketchy.

I've had the best luck with PNY-branded "stock clock" nvidia cards. They seem to have unmodified nv bios (apart from vendor string). But they are never the cheapest here, often $10 or $20 over msrp.

Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Stock cards are all same, you can buy from seller nearest to you.
All of them are same with same screws on same place and different boxes.
I could done that and before. I payed overclocked cards because 20-25% faster clock from reference cards.
And if you buy once overclocked cards than new reference generation is only 20-30% faster than your card, you need to buy again overclocked if you wish some nice difference.
But with EVGA looks like is not reliable company and for us with smallest demand who want only stable work on fabric clock and 50-60-70MHz more space just for insurance when NVIDIA improve drivers usage of cards will be bigger and if card work on fabric clock as last stable clock she will become unstable. But with EVGA you need to wait 2 years to get something what you payed to pay shipping to them, in mean time people overclock 70-80% faster cards and what you done in mean time...
Wait to card become unstable enough to customer support 100% find instability. Not maybe yes maybe not.
I always loved to buy reference cards and than to search brand with highest clock and try to reach that clock. Sometimes I success in that but most time not, clock of some cards are very high and 50% of chips are not capable to work like that. Than I decide to buy overclocked...
Now I like 980Ti Matrix. I think Predator 360 + my R5E and Mononoblock and Matrix with EKWB block could be nice configuration for next 2 years. Nothing ultra hard core but enough for me.
Maybe even shorter time. Why not when Big Pascal show up I could sell Matrix for good money and with little money to upgrade. Now I missed and 980Ti and TITAN X and everything.
This worse things is because I loved so much that GK110 and wait him from 2011. Now I hate that chip thanks to EVGA and I didn't used him in time when he was attractive and best and before drivers become really bad. That was my favorite NVIDIA chip of all time.
I should sold card in time when she worth 500e now she worth 180-200e and very bad reputation. :)

Last edited:
System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Nope it's not making the cut ... even cut to stock clocks, it started triangle city tonight. RMA time ... ugh. I guess I could try a small voltage bump first. I hate mailing things around and waiting.

Case Lian Li PC-O11 WXC
Nope it's not making the cut ... even cut to stock clocks, it started triangle city tonight. RMA time ... ugh. I guess I could try a small voltage bump first. I hate mailing things around and waiting.

That's something worse, OK waiting is not long but I don't want any more to fix problems because EVGA bad chip selection while other people OC.
Even I would be much happier to find some nice ASUS Radeon because I like when someone make you problem to lose your profit... and with them together and GeForce.
But again best ASUS models are GeForce except some I can't afford as ARES III. Because ARES III is best ASUS card looking together everything.
EVGA estimate if they ruin reputation of their premium model and earn more money on bad chip that would be better for company and next years they will talk other things and with aggressive marketing to fix reputation of previous generation. On that way you get words that GTX980Ti K|NGP|N is something special compare to 780Ti and 980...
Example they learned us that ASIC score mean nothing 2-3 years, and than suddenly higher ASIC more expensive, over night, 5% higher ASIC 100$ more.
You will not find such politic nowhere except EVGA. Imagine 2 years constant explanation that lower ASIC is even better for OC for same premium model and than suddenly 980Ti with 80% ASIC more expensive than TITAN X. If TITAN X cost 1000$ in USA and up to 1200 euro in Europe how much will cost their overhyped 980Ti with over 80% ASIC if price in USA is 1100$. That's 1300-1400 euro in Europe plus 100 euro shipping. And 490euro for Z170 Classified... 490euro, almost 500 euro Z170 board...
I payed 450 euro Premium ROG X99 motherboard together with 120$ worth device inside package and who knows how many features and she is expensive than that.
And even people in Germany could find for 400 euro on some place. Madness. Like I say I would be most happier and NVIDIA to lose customers because companies who don't care for chip selection and ask premium price and to stop that once for all and start to sell good silicon who pay more or under own name. RMA I hate as well, but that's not so problematic when card die or arrive DOA or similar thing... But when you waste your time because someones bad chip selection that's worse of all. I couldn't RMA card months because possible chance to technical support not replicate problem and to ask me money for shipping fault card back.
Until card become completely unstable she didn't worth nothing. And no one can't compensate me because I lose time with such crap because someones bad chip selection.

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I will not buy EVGA products any more.
I recognize what they do... They send 90% of god chips on USA Market.
And they don't even try to treat fair Europe and Asia on same way as USA.
They more try to Americans recognize their discrimination of others and because of that to choose EVGA on USA territory as company who treat better Americans.
Their products are inferior and in most cases people will not be able to build computer from EVGA products with all new features and to work without problems.
Americans are satisfied only if their motherboards example work and no problem with memory, graphic card and CPU. They don't even compare other features with boards as ASUS ROG. But in most case premium EVGA boards are more expensive then ASUS ROG Boards. How? Because HYPE and because DIFFERENT LOOK THEY FISHING PEOPLE.
I was EVGA fan who tolerate and support their company near obvious defects, not defects but hardware without competitive options as other companies.
I always bought EVGA, I always wait months if need to import EVGA, in patience even if other people around me bought and enjoy in other products... I didn't bought ASUS TITAN Black or Gainward TITAN Black only because EVGA 780Ti K|NGP|N...
Even if people told me when you need support they will treat you worse than anonymous members with 5 posts because think you are stupid and you will continue to buy their products no matter on what.
And that's not only for me case, I saw and others Classified and Ultra Classified Members who are treat bad, who get much worse replacement for much expensive products than some members who don't care for EVGA who don't care to buy again EVGA or who don't care to visit forum again. Simple their company is not fair.
And worse of all is character of company. How many times managers and others wait to problem is fixed and than ask can they help something. Not only for me.
Last time I wait man from technical support 3 weeks to answer me with clear message that I will start RMA request when he contact me. He never contact me, he contact me when package arrive on border, when they didn't mark as I told them to explain me if I need them in future to contact him free and he didn't saw mail.
That's lies, they thought for one week I will forget and continue to buy EVGA products. NO MORE.
And they gave good example to new Members how people who years buy only EVGA products and move mountains sometimes to find EVGA only to get their junks are treated.
Always when I see EVGA name somewhere I will remember unfair treating different members.
Because of that Americans and screams on ASUS support they didn't used to be treated as others, they want everything special.
And if someone want to know real difference between quality of ASUS ROG and EVGA only to compare two facts:
Some customers are ready to tolerate inferior EVGA products and live with lack of new features because good technical support.
From other side normal customers are ready to swallow bad technical support because huge dominance and better products from ASUS.
When you compare that two facts smart people will see difference between EVGA and ASUS.
Only bad chip selection and I really think that EVGA have worse chip selection on market last 3 years and ignorance of technical support to nicely fix things will result that I will never say single nice word about that company, that I start to replace all EVGA products in PC with ASUS together and something what work normal, because it's not made by EVGA only have EVGA label. And at the moment only good stuff from EVGA are stuff made by other brand with EVGA label. And that I will only recommend ASUS to others. That's not my wish to advertise someone, I never look on that way and when I recommend EVGA, that's simple wish to other people have good products, my opinion is that they are best, I want best for self and it's normal for other people. My first products are ASUS, I learn for ASUS even before I learned difference between ATI and NVIDIA.
And when I ask ATI I ask I want ASUS ATI Radeon... they say We have ATI Radeon but not ASUS, No I don't want that... and later I recognize and ASUS GeForce and GIGABYTE GeForce, etc...
I hope EVGA will recognize that it's not good to spit on old Members in future and treat them worse than others and that will respect other people and that will not lose Classified and Ultra Classified Members. For now I only know for one brand who clearly not respect customers of premium products and own premium class that's EVGA. They send on market cards with aware that they will not be able to work one year stable on fabric clock. That would be same as someone overclock CPU to 4.9GHz and than invest all efforts to pull 5.0GHz and few time he pass stability test and he send him on market as product stable on 5.0GHz advertised for further overclocking.
Because they are aware that someone will have trouble with such cards but don't care. They will take premium price and resolve for 1-2 years when product cost 1/5 of price with some refurbished, unboxed, rest from others. And they don't recognize something bad in fact that someone can't use products on way as they advertised and planned first 1-2 years and someone who payed hardware 700-800e will have reason for RMA when card worth 150-200 euro. Because company is aware that customers will not able to use product as other people as they advertised and he will not be able to RMA because hardware barely work somehow with some rear crashes, but crashes need to become more often if you want to ask support... and until that happen time will pass and hardware will worth almost nothing. Customer can't enjoy in products, can't overclock, can't sell to other people and buy newer products but EVGA don't care for that and because of that my real recommendation is if people on USA territory scare from ASUS and their products they could call one of hundred survice who will build PC for them, test PC for them and replace if something not work. Don't live without USB 3.1, without Bluetooth, without U.2, without half dedicate Sound Card, without Wi-Fi, with 4 instead 8 phase example, don't live without fan controls, without nice softwares for same price only because "good technical support".I'm good person but if someone treat me bad he will sorry later 10.000 times. I have one DOA thing from EVGA I didn't say single words except I was sad because hardware die, but EVGA now do some very evil things with chip selection and their products not worth 10 euro more and 10 minutes efforts.
Company live on old glory when they had 2 best overclockers in same time in own crew when other brands didn't pay attention on that so much as now.
Even than ASUS dominance was obvious but one small period they have some nice products, that stop very fast and after that EVGA continue to sell products because different look, good package and good technical support for someone. I didn't saw that support. I saw ignorance, other got better products than me, they start to pay attention probably when they recognize that I'm really not joke any more and I will tell everything in public, In period when I try to finish everything nobody to know they ignore me. And I ask only not to be treated below other members. Worse of all is that ignorance in first moment and at the end I saved they video clips and upload them to see what is problem. But they are simple unable to see problem if someone pay hardware now 700-800euro and use him for 2 years because in first time that hardware is not good but no clear reason for RMA and you can only wait moment to completely show sign of instability and than to call technical support. Until than other people replace two generation of cards, you can't sell to anybody, you can't use, you look Americans how get best products, etc.

Sorry for this LONG LONG post but people need to used with EVGA to downclock cards, I think that even NVIDIA build Debug function because of them.
And I recommend to NVIDIA to sell all good chips I class to ASUS. Because I'm little little step from Radeon. And only what separate me from that step is because I can't afford ARES or dual GPU and best ASUS single cards are GeForce and they are same quality, faster than EVGA but much cheaper.

Well now, I guess that proves there is no limit to the number of letters/words allowed in a post. :)

Pretty much all computer product manufacturers are lacking on the support side.

I also don't think EVGA makes as robust a pcb as some of the others, especially regarding voltage regulation.

Whenever I have had EVGA GPU's, I have never bought an overclocked version. You're better off doing it yourself.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
I'm using MBT bios editor, but can't figure out how to affect the 1.200V that the card runs at. Anyone know the secret sauce? It's capped to 1.243 via MSI AB, but I'd like to make that the default voltage.

Edit: wait, I got it set to 1.243v now by default, but it causes the boost to go up two notches in the table, so got to knock that back ...

Edit #2: okay set bios to 1.275v / 1276 MHz and if that doesn't work, then I'll rma, heh. I miss the days of constant voltage / clock speed. I sort of half removed boost on my card now by fiddling with the boost table.

Edit #3: there's the problem, I think. I put the stock bios back in for comparison. It's trying to run 1.2GHz @ 1.01v and 1.3GHz @ 1.06v, that seems like *really* low voltage to me.

Last edited:
System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
The problem isn't the top speed / voltage bin. It's the middle part of the boost table that it uses after things get saturated with heat after a while. They just don't QA these cards well enough.

So I added an extra 0.1v across the entire boost range (entry 35+), then restored top 1.4GHz at 1.275v plus increased the max power tables so it rarely throttles ... custom oc card now. No problems again so far. Pretty sure the problem was the mid-range voltages, not the top speed/voltage. Same problem that a bunch of 970 cards had.
Also added 5% to vram speed! :toast: