1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA P55 FTW or MSI GD85 ?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by p0Pe, Feb 26, 2010.

1. p0Pe New Member

Thanks Received:
    sooo.. the deal is, i got this i5 750, and it needs a motherboard to go with it.

i got a deal on a msi gd85 for 240$, and i can get a EVGA p55 for 340$ in my oppinion the evga board is better looking, but the gd85 has some better specs, so im LOST here!

i´ve heard some people not liking the evga board, and read some reviews of the msi one. it would be cool to have sata 6 gb/s, and usb 3.0, but whats your take on it? anyone with knowledge about theese boards?

for ram, i was thinking of some corsair dominator, or geil rams.
    help is apriciated:D:rockout:
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    just got a evga p55 ftw, first evga, switching from GB, and thus far i am very happy with it so I would suggest that personally
  3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I've got no serious complaints with my EVGA P55 SLI. Both boards look solid, USB3.0 and the new SATA is not too big a deal right now. Both layouts and color schemes look nice as well.

There is no way a P55 FTW is going to be $340 though, no chance.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    very true on the price, i paid $210 for mine at my local MC, newegg has em for $205, might you mean the p55 ftw 200 or p55 classified?
  5. p0Pe New Member

Thanks Received:
    i just heard that simple stuff like overtightning the cpu block, and stuff would make the evga not post etc.

btw, those prices is what hardware costs in denmark:) a P55 classified is 490$. so i considder the GD85 for 240 a good deal;)

try to compare theese prices
    newegg: xfx 5870 = 400$
    denmark: xfx 5870 = 550$

/sucks/
  6. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    if your board isnt posting from over tightening a cpu block, then you are tightening way too much, that has nothing to do with the board itself
  7. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    That was if you had a Foxconn socket.. they wouldn't tighten right and there for wouldn't post.. They still haven't got every board out of movement that had the foxconn socket.

If you buy from Newegg now, you'll get the right socket.. The EVGA p55 FTW board is a sweet board. I'd choose it if I was looking for one. ;)
  8. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    I hate my P55 FTW I hate it. for being a "overclocking" motherboard it is lacking in the bios options and overall im just dissapointed with it. and keep in mind i got one with the full foxconn socket. there are still stock floating around. mine came from newegg
  9. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    thats absolutely right and with my p55ftw that happens on a daily basis. by to tight they mean anything ove say 10lbs of preassure
    thats not right. thats rubbish. mine is FULL foxconn crap socket

hell i'll sell you my p55 FTW for $340!!
  10. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    How are you going to shit on that board so hard here when you are trying to trade that exact board here on the forums?

Yeah the early run foxconn sockets were affected by a bunch of problems, but it does look as though those have been resolved. The major issue with the early run Foxconns sockets was burning/scorching of the CPU due to insufficient contact- that has been resolved and Foxconn sockets that are out now are apparently not affected.

The 'disappearing RAM' issue does seem to show itself on the boards now, but that is due to over tightening the CPU cooler or the board flexing. That solved my exact issue with the board, but if it doesn't in any particular case you should RMA the board. Yes its a hassle, but there's something wrong with that hardware.

/RANT

If that is the price of the P55 FTW where you are at I would go with MSI. Its not worth the premium.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    because others might like the bios options and other crp that comes with the evga bundle. me personally I didnt buy it for step up or their "excellent" customer service. I bought it because it was made to be an "overclockers board" which that it is not, at least not an advanced overclockers board. there are really no advanced oc options to speak of and minimal tweaking when it comes to most settings even ram. for some newer to ocing or beginer or even lazy overclockers then yeah this board will get you to 4.4ghz with very little effort. I prefer to go through and tweak every setting and mess with things and get a good fast stable overclock. the board it's self runs amazing and super stable, and has given me minimal problems, except the socket issue you had helped me with.
  12. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    edit: I guess I did kinda exagerate it a little bit. it wont do the ram issue with 10lbs of preassure more like if you tighten it over 50lbs of preassure OR tighten one side more than the other. that seems to be the only problem with the new foxconn sockets