• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA Supernova P2 1000W

Processor i5 4690k
Motherboard Gigabyte z97X Gaming
Cooling Coolermaster 212
Memory 8 Gb Vengeance
Video Card(s) Msi Gtx 970 Gaming
Storage Sata 650Gb, SSD 120Gb
Case Nvidia Coolermaster
Power Supply Chieftec CTF GDF 850
Greetings,
I read about this psu and while its perfect in every way, the inrush current is almost 45A.
The limit for safety is 50A.
Any expert in electronics can tell me if it will cause any long tern damage to the other components?
Is there a limit to the ON/OFF i can put my PC every day? I s it best to leave my PC ON instead of turning it ON/OFF because of this inrush current?
Thanks you

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I s it best to leave my PC ON instead of turning it ON/OFF because of this inrush current?
Actually, there is no set limit. The ATX standard just says,
Maximum inrush current from power-on (with power-on at any point on the AC sine)
and including, but not limited to, three line cycles, shall be limited to a level below the
surge rating of the AC switch if present, bridge rectifier, and fuse components.
Repetitive ON/OFF cycling of the AC input voltage should not damage the power
supply or cause the input fuse to blow.

And, if you look at the TPU review for that "highly rated" PSU, it says (my bold underline added),
the registered inrush current was well below 50 A, so it won't cause any problems to circuit breakers and fuses.

So, leave the PSU turned on and just let the computer go to sleep - as it was designed to do. I would actually be more concerned about wearing out the PSU's power switch if you flipped it on and off every time.