1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Evochron

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mike0409, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
  2. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    No havent seen that 1 yet.
    Looks like some sort of spaceship shooter game.
  3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I own Evochron Legends, have since about Febuary, talked about it a bunch on GPU and a bit on here. Really cool concept, really good indie game. The coolest part is the guy that created this game and it's prequels (he's been doing it since the late 80's iirc) updates the game to what the players want to see added or changed or removed. It adds a lot of extra downloading, but for a game that is a 45MB download with a ~150MB install it's huge, has a ton to do, and the online MP is just awesome.

It's more lone-wolf, the physics are newtonian iirc so it's not like many other space shooter sims out there, which is very cool imo. The graphics are decent considering it's tiny footprint and sheer size. The ability to enter planets and land at cities in real-time is also very cool. The community is very supportive and helpful, the learning curve for the game can get kinda rough, I do recommend posting on their forums and meeting up with some people online to teach you how to play and where to go to see some action or have some fun. Definately a very cool game, with a very cool community and creator, something that not many other games even indie can pull off as well.

I do wish the game was larger to the extent that the graphics were improved, but they've been improved since I purchased the game, I just haven't played as much lately due to clan-related stuff and building/fixing pc's on the side for some extra cash. You can download the game and give it a 30-minute spin, but that's not nearly enough time to get a feel for it imo, but it might be enough to know if it's something you're interested in learning or not. I've had many hours of good fun with this game, especially online. The missions are seamless, the world is seamless, there's no load screens beyond the first load screen to get into the game world, you can customize and use different classes of ships from civilian to military, very, very cool. I highly recommend it.

:toast:
    Mike0409 says thanks.
  4. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:

Awesome dude! Thanks! :toast:
  5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I do recommend a controller or joystick, a lot of guys use the X-52, but that's pretty pricey, I used a Playstation 2 controller + USB adapter mostly, but converted over to the xbox360 controller which worked out quite nicely...I just can't do flying/racing/space sims w/o a controller, KB + mouse just doesn't do it justice. :D
  6. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    I got a Cyborg Saitek that I used with IWAR and IWAR2. should be ok. Any other Space sim you would recommend? other than the generic Freespace/2/etc.
  7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well you can go to GOG.com (good old games) and get Freespace 2 for 5.99...which I did. That game was released to open source, there's an updater patch you can get that downloads all sorts of content, about 2-3GB worth iirc, revamps of the originals, updated graphics/engine/sound stuff, custom stories, etc...that way if you want more brute action and no real physics to fight with, hop into Freespace 2, then when you wanna do something more realistic, modern and challenging, hop into Evochron. That's how I've done it.

I tried the X3 series, but didn't really like it...the graphics were pretty, but I couldn't get into it at all. You might look into that also.
  8. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    I want something along Iwars lines.. Loved those damn games.. =/