1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Exhaust Fan or Intake Fan for Video Card?!?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Azn Tr14dZ, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dual slot Exhaust fan, in that way, you get the hot air out of your system, and avoid increasing case temperature. The one you posted doesn't seem like something I'd buy. Why not opt for one of those in the Silencer series?

3. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I already have an aftermarket cooler on my X800 XL though, it's a Zalman VF700-Cu LED and it works great. But I just want to sqeeze a few more degrees with my $20. Do you think either one of these is woth it or do you have anything better?
    BTW, I've heard of pretty good reviews for the VCool.

4. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then, just add an extra outlet fan, 120mm if you have the place to put it. That's just a suggestion. Your Zalman probably raises the amount of heat in your case. Also, consider a fan in side the front of your case if you haven't got one already to cool off your HDD.

I had an experience with one of those fans you posted, the bearings wear off and it generates a hell of a noise. It's low cost for that reason usually. Mine even generates heat, so I took it out of the case.

5. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, my Zalman is actually pretty good right now, lowering my XL's temps by 20 degrees(dropped stock cooler when changing TIM:) )so now I get about 37 idle. I have a pretty powerful 92mm in the back. I'm just focusing on lowering my XL's temps a bit more.

6. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh wait, that's a standard 80mm fan on that dual slot model (Antec)... Ignore the cyclone. Hmmmm... interesting. No, definately not same model as my old clunker of a slot cooler. Jump on it if you have 2 slots to spare! But your Zalman already jeopardise a slot, so your gfx card + that cooling would take 4 slots, basically, no?

Good luck!

7. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but I have 5 slots, two for the graphics, one for sound card, and two more to spare. should I get it?

8. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sure, but ignore the Cyclone, IMO it's crap. This Vcool one seems like a durable solution. But I would try to reverse the fan and exit air from the case if I had one (if that would be possible).

How much did the Zalman lower the GFX temp btw? I'm interested in getting one some day but I don't know wether I hsould wait for the newer model.

9. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    For me, it lowered by 20 because my old HS/Fan was crap because I dropped it, It's really a good fan though for a Video card.

10. Scooby129 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Gigabyte X800XT APG over clocked with the ATI tool to 560/600. When new, the card ran at 70 degrees C when stressed and not overclocked. I then added a Zelman cooler and the Vantec PCI fans(70mm) underneath. I now run no more than 54 degrees C with the above over clock and about 32C when not stressed. I have a Lian-Li PC 60B case with two 80mm fans in front and two added 80mm fans in front with a HD cooler (Lia-Lan cooler). One 80mm fan in top and a two fan power supply. The case runs cool. (also have 2 raptors and 2 7200rpm HD's.)The theme is have good air flow. I play Doom, CS:S, Far Cry, COD2 with this card over clocked. I have tried to read about other expeirence with overclocking this card and it seems that I have even topped out above some water cooling attempts.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006