• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Experiences with 9600XT

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Does anyone have a 9600XT that can share their experiences with me? Like overclocking, performance etc? I would like to know more about this card's abilities. Thanks :D

John2x

Asus 9600xt/tvd

i have a problem with my asus 9600xt/tvd. after i installed the driver, it wont boot in xp. i tried different ati catalyst driver. sometimes it boot in xp, but most of time it wont. i have to change my video card (ati to nvidia) then change it again vise versa to be able to boot up in xp. i tried diff nforce motherboard (epox 8rda3+, epox 8rda3i and msi delta ilsr) but the problem still the same. can pls anyone help me. does this asus 9600xt video have compatibility issues to nforce motherboard?

amd sempron 2200 oc to sempron 2700
epox 8rda3i
2x256 geil value ram ddr 400
80gig western digital caviar 7200 rpm, 8mb cache

John2x

by the way, i used driver cleaner every time i uninstall the vga driver. i tried reformatting but same problem. could pls some one help me..

Rags

John2x said:
pls help regarding my problem.
John,

I have found that not all bios' are equal. First make sure your memory size is the same as that on the bios or change the bios prior to flashing using Rabit. Second, use the same time of memory-specified bios; i.e. samsung, hynix etc. Lastly, make sure the memory is not E-type if you have a different contiguration - use Rabit to find out what is contained in the bios.

Zaam,

Regarding my 9600xt experience, I killed my card by overclocking and a poor application of memory heatsinks. I was using the first rev. of ati silencer which was not as efficient as current revs. Still, my problem was user error I think. Also, while atitool is great, I relied too much on the artifact feature and not enough on benchmark demos and 3DMark. I now use radlinker instead of atitool because it has been described as more technically appropriate; but I ain't no expert so take it my advice for what its worth.

Personally, I would not go much over 534 core with a fan solution. Watercooling opens up significant overclocking possibilities however.

TheWretched

Rags said:
I have found that not all bios' are equal. First make sure your memory size is the same as that on the bios or change the bios prior to flashing using Rabit.

I don't think he is flashing the bios.

Make sure your computer BIOS (not the vid card) is set to use AGP as the initial display device.

If that dosen't work, I would try booting windows in safe mode (f5 during startup). If you know that the card is functional, then it is probably driver related.

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Yeah, John. You could also try VGA mode. Just low graphics which also helps with driver related issues...

Rags said:
Personally, I would not go much over 534 core with a fan solution. Watercooling opens up significant overclocking possibilities however.

I've tried it with my card. It runs at 555MHz with only a copper HSF and it's totally stable. In Ati Tool, in benchmarks, in games etc... It can do 560MHz though, but I don't want to take the risk of instability. And since it's only got 3.3ns RAM, it can only overclock slightly (11%) to 333MHz. But I forget to run it at these overclocked settings most of the time though. Performance is okay in most apps and games so I leave it stock. Unless I'm trying to play Doom, which needs every bit of power it can get. ;) But I think it's better than the 9550 that I had at least... Mmm.

John2x

TheWretched said:
I don't think he is flashing the bios.

Make sure your computer BIOS (not the vid card) is set to use AGP as the initial display device.

If that dosen't work, I would try booting windows in safe mode (f5 during startup). If you know that the card is functional, then it is probably driver related.

i tried to boot it in safe mode and it boot up. i tried windows xp proffessional, sp2, and media center edition and ive tried several ati catalyst driver but the problem is still there. i also tried that settings in bios but still the same. actually its my first time to use ati graphics card. i usually used nvidia graphics card. i tried to change the bios of the card but same problem. is my 9600xt defective?

John2x

zAAm said:
Yeah, John. You could also try VGA mode. Just low graphics which also helps with driver related issues...

I've tried it with my card. It runs at 555MHz with only a copper HSF and it's totally stable. In Ati Tool, in benchmarks, in games etc... It can do 560MHz though, but I don't want to take the risk of instability. And since it's only got 3.3ns RAM, it can only overclock slightly (11%) to 333MHz. But I forget to run it at these overclocked settings most of the time though. Performance is okay in most apps and games so I leave it stock. Unless I'm trying to play Doom, which needs every bit of power it can get. ;) But I think it's better than the 9550 that I had at least... Mmm.

i tired it and it boot up. then uninstall the driver and boot it normally and it will boot up. but after i installed the driver it wont continue in xp. ive tried several ati catalyst driver and asus driver but same problem. i tried the diff version of windows xp but the problem still the same. is my card defective?