1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Explorer does not show HDD

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Artas1984, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Artas1984

Thanks Received:
    In this photo you should see 4 Discs. Only 3 are recognized. Besides the 60 Gb SSD (B & C) and the 1 Tb HDD (D) there is another 1 Tb sata2 HDD attached also, but is not displayed for whatever reason...

[​IMG]

HD Tune shows the HDD, but no letter is assigned to it. A month ago there were no problems and the HDD would quickly appear in My Computer.

I am dull founded. I inserted another drive - another SSD instead of HDD - same result.
    I changed AHCI to IDE - nothing.
    I formatted the HDD in Windows setup to NTFS - same nothing.

Obviously it is not a hardware problem as both the SSD and HDD are independently not recognized, something is messed up with Windows, i have no clue what!!! Windows search is enabled.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  2. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried going into disk management and seeing if the drive is there? If it is, you should be able to assign it a letter. If it is not visible there, you might have a HW/Driver problem with the SATA controller.

3. Artas1984

Thanks Received:
    The drive is visible in disc management, but written is "unallocated space".

What to do?

4. anoobarak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Right-click on the unallocated space and make a new partition of your desired size.

5. Artas1984

Thanks Received:
    When you buy a new HDD, is it by default FAT32?

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No. Right click the drive and make the partition for NTFS then you're done. :)