1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

explorer.exe keeps crashing

Discussion in 'General Software' started by rampage, Mar 2, 2008.

1. rampage

Thanks Received:
    im having issues with a new rig of mine, most times when i open a folder with contains alot of data in it (6gig +) windows explorer.exe will crash and if i dont close the error message within a minuite or two DrWatson will also crash and lock up the pc......
    this is happening on a new pc with a fresh OS and is mainly happening when i open my torrent folder and my 8gig flash drive (as they are the only folders with a large amount of data "dumped" there)..
    i have formated the hdd and it seamed to resolve the issue for a few days untill it happens again...
    what could be causing the problems???

p.s. i have ran a virus scan and it has come up clean (NOD32)

2. rampage

Thanks Received:
    :BUMP:

i have now formatted to vista x86 from xp x86 and i am having the same issue, i am thinking that the issues may be coming from my torrent drive (500gig samsung) with is about 98% full of .avi files .....
    if anyone has any idears please help, i have also found out that once explorer.exe crashes for the first time, it dosnt need the "torrent" drive connected to crash ......
    one other thing after the first crash my games crash and i need to restart (the gfx driver crashes).. guy i'm beat on this one

3. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    have you tryed running everything at stock settings ?

4. rampage

Thanks Received:
    i am at 100% stock, ram and cpu have been tested are are stable, i only think ov the mass amount of avi files as being a issue and i have seen others with the same issue when explorer.exe crashes, and that my torrent drive was connected to my when i had my first crash o the fresh vista install (3 hrs old)

5. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    so will it crash with it off ? cuz you scaned that HD right ?

I never had more then 1 HD :( but does it matter what OS they where used on before and then changed to a different one ?

do you got all your updates ?

6. rampage

Thanks Received:
    yes i have scaned the hdd's, it will crash with or with out my main torrent drive connected, but explorer.exe crashes when i open a folder with a decent amount of avi files installed (5>10 gig +)

7. rampage

Thanks Received:
    just an update, i just finished another in-depth scan with nod32, and the explorer keeps crashing and the gfx driver is still crashing in game (cod4 MP, game plays but has random pauses with no gfx but with realtime audio)...

8. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    :confused: so the card messing up to ? do you got a backup to put in there ?

9. rampage

Thanks Received:
    yeah i do have another gfx card (8800gtx, x300), im currently using a 8800gtx, it looks like i have 2 issues here, exploer.exe crashing and games crashing