1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

external hard drive enclosure recommendations

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by keakar, Jan 17, 2008.

1. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    im looking for some external hard drive enclosure recommendations

im looking to buy an enclosure because a hdd and enclosure is way cheaper than the assembled external drives they sell.

thing is to know whats the best to buy so here are my questions:

whats the best internal interface? (IDE, SATA, or SATA 2) - HDD connection

whats the best external interface? (SATA, SATA 2, eSATA, or USB 2.0) - PC connection

whats better to have if its only being used as a windows restore drive? (fan or fanless)

is aluminum case better than plastic or does it really matter?

i was hoping to get a nice external drive for about $20 but no more than $30 + shipping
    and i will just ghost a clean install of windows with all my files, games, and programs installed then its back in the box and i'll put it in the closet untill needed for a format and reinstall.

thanks to all
  2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    SATA 2 unless you go SCSI ( Exspenive ).

I know USB sucks ass for it. eSATA i beleave is the way to go. And think it's the same as SATA1 \ SATA 2. I'm sure some one will correct me lol.. Just make sure the SATA addon card supports your SATA drives.

a fan for sure but some enclosers only have a fan that will move about 6-9CFM

I would say Aluminum but cannot see there being all that much differance to be honest.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
    keakar says thanks.
  3. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    wow, i guess if usb connections suck then thats why nobody uses external hard drives or at least thats what im assuming because i didnt get any opinions so i guess no one knows anything about them. i sure was hoping to here about actual users comments.

thanks asrock
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
    keakar says thanks.