1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

External HDD, a reliable suggestion?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Hybrid_theory, May 27, 2010.

1. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    A buddy of mine was saying he had 2 or 3 external HDs die on him. 2 were from futureshop, he didnt say the brand. The last was a western digital. I want either an external HD, or maybe an internal to just back stuff up to and keep it safe for archiving. Ive been doing this to DVDs, but as some1 pointed out their lifespan compared to a hard drive is nothing.

So post some suggestions, and let me know.

Thanks
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    adapter or enclosure and internal (first one looks good).

cheaper and customizable - and I believe more reliable simply based on reviews and separate parts.
    Hybrid_theory says thanks.
  3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Me and my friends have almost exclusively used WD My Books (about 6?) and we have yet to see one fail. Do be careful on the shipping though, because they had a report that some companies used too little amount of packing material, causing the hard drive to receive a lot of knockings. Stick with the bigger electronics suppliers.
  4. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    maybe your friend was careless and was always dropping the external drives, thats the worst nightmare of any external HDD. External HDDs or HDDs will not fail just like that. from my experience, None of my hard drives ever failed on me, Even my very first HDD.

however, I have an External HDD which was accidentally dropped by me and it started to die. even tried the freezer trick but it really died on me.

I also have a buddy who had 2 Ext which died, because he is careless. sad that he always use his Ext as his primary storage(not the OS but for primary storage). so everytime his ext died he would start all over again. he is already on his 4 ext.(1st one got stolen lol)

Any branded HDD will do fine.
    but i'd recommend a seagate drive.
  5. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    heh... i think your friend needs 2 in that case, one as a backup!

I've got a 2.5 enclosure from iMicro that has both sata and ide connectors in it (can only use one at a time). right now i have a 40gb 4200rpm ide drive in there and its working ok for the most part. my friend unplugged it while it still had power and now from time to time it freezes up. so yea.. don't do that with them. make sure you do the "safely remove" thing, switch off power, then unplug. my friend was lucky that i only paid $15 for the drive itself lol. with that said, the thing still gets over 20mb/sec
  6. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
  7. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I also have used WD My Books. They are very reliable. Only recently did I switch to an enclosure with an internal HDD in it. This is DEFINITLY the way to go. Very customizable and you can change to different capacities when needed.
  8. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I think that may be the same one I am using. I have this one. VANTEC NST-300S2-BK Aluminum 3.5" Black USB 2.0 Ex...

It has a Seagate SATAII 640GB w/ 32mb cache inside of it. It has worked flawless since I got it. I haven't tried it with more than the 640GB in it, but I think 2TB is the limit.

Edit: Nevermind. The one you are looking at is eSATA. Mine is USB2.0
  10. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    This has both, so i can hook it up to my desktop if i desire. thanks. ill purchase it
  11. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Happy to help.
  12. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
    Connected with USB2 you won't notice any difference with 5400 drives. I have 2 of the Vantec MX's both with 1TB WD Green 5400 drives and transfer rates are right where USB2 should be.
  13. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received: