1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

External HDD or Internal HDD?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by omiknight52, Nov 28, 2008.

1. omiknight52

omiknight52 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm contemplating whether or not if I should purchase a external hard drive for saving all of my work, music, photo's backup etc, instead of saving it on my pc hd. Now the problem is external hdd vs internal hdd's longevity, hardware differences, file corruption typically on external hdd's or flash drives. Is it a mistake saving personal stuff separate from the pc or are ex hdd as good as internal? I've had experiences loosing my stuff because of viruses, hdd failure and lack of prior experience not partitioning my hdd :)

2. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's no reason u should be gettin viruses unless u don't have a proper AV and AS. It's really up to ur own preference. If ur the one who walks around a lot, then save it on an external one. If u don't then save files on an internal and then encrypted it to make a password.

3. JayD239 New Member

Thanks Received:
    External drives do tend to die earlier so try keeping your crucial data on both your internal as external drive. Of course this is always a good idea when keeping backups (also with internal drives).

Viruses has nothing to do with the quality of your drives, that's your own fault ;)