• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

External review link problem (Malware/Spyware)

duneworld

Earlier today (Wednesday, August 22nd 2012) I pressed on the "Bitfenix Prodigy @ Hardware Journal (de)" link on the homepage and shortly afterwards (having done nothing else in between) I got a warning from my internet security program (VIPRE) that a trojan had been blocked, however a myriad of other problems occurred, culminating in my having to do a system restore (during Windows Startup Repair) to regain normal system functionality.

Perhaps this issue needs to be investigated by a site admin to help prevent this happening to other users?

I could't find any other way of raising this issue, so hopefully it is acceptable to post this here.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The problem was likely already resident on your PC, but activated by a ad posted on that site. Quite a few work in this fashion currently, bu ads are generally the source of such issues, and as such, there's not much we could do about that...that would be up to the admin of THAT site to change the ad provider. They probably have no idea themselves, even.

I'm sure W1zz will have something to offer when he sees this...I just do reviews. :p

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I didn't know such sneaky indirect attacks occurred. Thanks for pointing it out.

duneworld

I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it found 5 trojans, so you are right.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
i sent an email to the site's management. it's probably one of their ad networks, evil people buy ads there that exploit security weaknesses

captainjack

Hi mates,

i ´am the webmaster from Hardware-Journal. Thank you very much for the comment. I ve already deleated all publisher and avertiser source code. There is no intention to distribute any maleware.

I hope you will visit us one more and thanks alot to wizzard, which contacted me. :toast: