1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Extra memory not playing nice

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by CaptainOne, Jun 8, 2007.

1. CaptainOne New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys. I just purchased some additional memory for my Vista computer. I have a DFI LAN_Party Ultra-D MB. I had in there (2) OCZ PC 3200 2-3-3-6 512MB sticks running in a dual channel config. I then went out and bought (2) PNY Optima PC 3200 3-3-3-8 1GB sticks and am running them in dual channel.
    I can't get them to play nice together. When I have all 4 in, the only way I can get it to post is by setting the CL manually to 3 (no problems with that since that's what my slower memory is rated for), and leaving the other settings on auto. Granted, I have not tried every setting yet, as that would take a long time due to the dozen or so options in my BIOS just for memory. The problem is CPU-Z shows the frequency as 100MHz.
    When I have just the 2GB of new memory in there, I can get it to run at the 200MHz it should be running at.
    My MB manual says that 4 sticks running in dual channel should only be running at 166MHz. I would even be ok with that. I tried forcing the memory to run at 166, but no post.
    I have attached screenshots of CPU-Z in both configurations. If anyone has any settings they think would help, please let me know.
    If nobody has any ideas, which configuration would allow my system to run faster? I mainly use it for playing games and internet surfing. I have played both Shadowrun and Halo 2 with both configurations and it seems to run fine in both scenarios.
    Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you show a screenshot of the SPD screen please. Not knowing your mobo very well, so assuming that dualk channel slots are 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 I assume you ahve the OCZ in one pair and the PNY in the other pair...or how do you have it?

3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was going to recomend that he waits until "SNEEKYPETE" comes on line, he should be on in a bit, But hey Tatty, go for it!!

:toast:

4. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Going to bed soon so it might be his for the taking in any case! :D

5. CaptainOne New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just got all of it running at 200 (400) MHz. I had to change the Command Rate from 1T to 2T. I didn't realize I was forcing 1T in my BIOS. The setting is not that obvious (at least to my untrained eyes).
    So, now my question is, what is the difference between 1T and 2T? If I am running at half the MHz but at 1T, is that faster, slower, same as 200 (400) MHz at 2T?
    I am attaching all current CPUZ memory screenshots. I can change things back if anyone needs to see the other screenshots still.
    Thanks.

Cap

Attached Files:

6. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Captain1, Please use the "user CP" to fill out your System Specs, it's easier than scrolling all the way back to post #1 lookin for specs, Thanx.

:toast:

CaptainOne says thanks.
  7. CaptainOne New Member

Thanks Received:
    All filled in. I would have done it before if I realized it was there. Thanks for the info.

8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    what slots are the memory in? Also the PNY should be tested alone B4 you add them to the system. Realistically if it becomes a real issue, and the PNY works well enough, I'd just stick with the 2 Gig rather then deal with the hassle. Plus you can sell old RAM to add to the pot for new parts.

Try the new stuff alone. It just may be as simple as your ficle DFI don't like those stix!!!!

Try here and see if there is anything helpful....http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10195

9. CaptainOne New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I actually have it all running together at the correct MHz.
    It's just with the 3 GB (all 4 sticks) I am running at 2T Command Rate.
    With the 2GB (just the 2 new PNY sticks) I am running at 1T Command Rate.
    I don't know which one of these configurations would be faster in the long run.

10. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    2Gig at 1T is way better IMO than 3 @ 2T....altho is this a gamer and potential OC'er?

11. CaptainOne New Member

Thanks Received:
    Definitely a gaming machine. But not an overclocker. If I was, I would not have bought the PNY memory. :)
    Thanks much for the advice. I'll ditch the other 1GB.

12. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    1t is more responsive and scores better in testing than does 2T, ergo faster responce, and better game play! But take into concideration this is the opinion of an OC'er, and you may never even realize the difference of 2T, and Vista does like it when there is LOTZ of RAM...lol

Give it some time and see, but if it was mine like i say I'd prefer the 1T.

CaptainOne says thanks.
  13. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    The difference between 2T and 1T averages out at about 5% in performance terms. If we were talking 1Gig @ 1T versus 2Gig @ 2T it would be the 2 Gig @ 2T but as you already have the 2Gig and that is more than sufficient for gamng then I agree the 2Gig @ 1T is the better option.

14. CaptainOne New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys. I ran a couple of 3DMark tests last night and the 2GB @ 1T ended up with about 150 points higher score. Thanks again for the advice.
    By the way, I ended up forcing the memory settings of 2.5-3-3-6 and it's running fine. Maybe the memory isn't as bad as I thought. Maybe I'll even try upping the FSB. :)