1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Extreme Budget/ Salvage ~$200

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by kennyfinpowers, Nov 21, 2012.

1. kennyfinpowers New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, I currently have a Mac book pro that I use for all my school work but I have a old desktop that has just been sitting around and I want to do something with it. I want to re use the case, the Fan at the back, the PSU, the CD drive and the HD if possible. I plan to use Ubuntu for the OS. The build will mostly be used internet browsing, email, youtube, music and watching some movies...etc nothing too taxing. Do you think this will be possible? the HD is IDE i think so could i use this with newer MoBo with a convertor? The computer that is being salvaged/used for parts id the eMachines T6216 from around 2005

I think all I need is the CPU, mobo, and ram. What would be the best possible combo of those three i could get for $200 or under? I think the current PSU is 320 watts so that may be a limiting factor. Thanks for any help I'm still learning

2. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Is the mobo etc. of the desktop still in working state? Please list the other parts too.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    First WELCOME to TechPowerUp!!! :)

Couple of problem areas that I see right off:

Chances are, that being a 2005 era Emachines, the power supply is probably sub par at best. This really, really limits the upgrades that you will be able to do with the motherboard, chip, and ram.

The other main thing that may possibly be an issues is the case itself. Many of the Dells, HP's, Compaq's, and Emachines have a proprietary case and motherboard design. Of course this was the mass producers way of attempting to make people have to go through them to upgrade or replace parts at very high inflated prices.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    since you are wanting to reuse most of the stuff, Does the computer even work as it is right now?

If so then why bother with doing anything to it,considering your not going to be able to do much with it.

If it doesn't work then what is the problem with it so we can recommend things to get it working.

EDIT:
    Here is a list of CHEAP hardware that I myself would use if i had to build a computer with such a tight budget for the stuff you plan to use it for.
    It isn't the fasterst or highest quality but it should get the job done and last for a decent amont of time.
    The PSU that comes with the case is decent, I myself used one before to fold on a GPU and crunch on a overclocked CPU 24/7 stressed 100% held up fine

FM1 mobo $44.99
    MSI A55M-P33 FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD...

AMD A4 3300 dual core FM1 AMU $41.99
    AMD A4-3300 Llano 2.5GHz Socket FM1 65W Dual-Core ...

AMD DDR3 1600 2gb single $9.99ea
    AMD Entertainment Edition 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM D...

IDE to SATA converter $12.99
    Vantec IDE to SATA Converter - Model CB-IS100

Thermaltake V3 case and 430w PSU
    Thermaltake VL84301W2Z V3 Black Edition with 430W ...

Samsung SATA DVD-Burner $17.99
    SAMSUNG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL...

total shipped is 197.78

I very highly recommend replacing the PSU you have now,as the ones used in those computers aren't very good and with the age of that one I woldn't risk it.
    I would replace the case for a change of look and because I'm not for sure that you can use it for other hardware(for reasons others have posted above)
    If you can possibly replace the HDD with even a cheap sata one i would, as it will provide more speed and could be more reliable for long term use.
    If you can swing an extra $10 i would for sure get 2 sticks of the ram, that would provide a nice boost.
    The onboard GPU in the AMD APU will be plenty for streaming youtube videos,even to a HD TV (1080p/720p)

ps:if someone wants to recommend him something better,please do. This is the first budget setup i have priced since i have been back to the forums.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. kennyfinpowers New Member

Thanks Received:
    The computer is working as it is now, it is just pretty slow so I would like to update it. As far as I can tell the case is not a unique design and looks as if it should be able to be used again. the current specs are:
    Mobo- unknown
    CPU- AMD athelon 64 3200
    Ram-1.5 G DDr

The looks are not an issue for me so if possible I would like to keep the case. If it is really recommended to replace the PSU I will. I was thinking something along the lines of
    $50-$80 AMD CPU
    $50-$80 Mobo (I have no idea which brands are quality any more)
    and about 4-8 GB DDr3 Ram
    and now I guess ~$50 for a PSU (any recommendations?)

6. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Use the board and CPU I linked above as for psu any cosair or seasonic 350w or more, also some antecs such as the earth watts or true power series would be good.
    Use what I have linked above but minus the case and psu and get a psu from the brands above . Get 2 sticks of the ram I linked .then you will have a decent computer. Take some of the money you would have spent on other parts and get a sata hdd that will speed the system up more too, the ide drives really limit the computers now.

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Base rig in a new case and a PCI adapter for your IDE parts.

[​IMG]

Little bit better of a build using the hybrid crossfire on the APU. Should at least be able to play some games.

vawrvawerawe says thanks.
  8. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    low-end dual-core intel sandy bridge, cheap sandy bridge mobo, 4gb ram 1333mhz.
    Might be able to get away with $150 even

mobo - $60
    processor - $80
    ram - $20
    adapters - $10

total: $170

if you get used on craigslist might be able to do for only $100 if you're lucky and diligent and patient.
    I suggest at least $80 on processor, else you're going to feel like it's SLOWWW. p.s. buy a USED one.