1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Extremely high HD 3850 temps

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by diddle, Feb 26, 2009.

1. diddle New Member

Thanks Received:
    I currently switched over to a new case with two 230 mm fans and two 120mm fans and my GPU still runs at nearly 100C while running the furbenchmark test.
    I ghetto modded a 80mm fan to be blowing air into the fan so that it would get increased airflow but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference. Even with the fan speed at 100% the temps are still insanely high. I am not overclocked.
    Is there any thing I can do to decrease my temperatures?

2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    you could get a 3rd party cooler, but stock should be able to keep it below 90 under load imo. You could dismantle the heatsink, and reapply paste and put it back on. Maybe it was a bad assembly job. Be careful if you choose to do this, i hear paste spreading on the gpu isnt as simple due to no heat spreader.

3. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    You can try Hybrid's suggestion. It should help if you use a quality thermal paste like AS5 or MX-2. You should also make sure you dont have any lint or dust blocking the fan of heat sync on the card.

I think it's your PSU (http://www.vgaforum.com/showthread.php?t=15180).

Now I don't want to argue about the quality of your PSU, the rated values, or anything like that. I'm just making an observation based on the fact that a ridiculous amount of airflow isnt cooling your card.

4. diddle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, It seems to be just furbenchmark though.
    Been playing some games with gpuz in the background monitoring temperatures and it seems that the temps in game doesn't go above 80C, even at 100% load, which is perfectly normal for video cards as I've read.
    Is it just fur benchmark that could be causing the very high temperatures?

5. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Furmark is designed to stress your GPU to the max. With all those fans blowing on the card 80c still sounds high but not dangerous.

6. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    These newer cards are designed to run well past 100c... In your case.. there does seem to be something fishy here. you said that you have plenty of airflow in your PC, and the 3850's really don't run that high. My 3850 never reached above 60c on full load with an OC on it and stock cooling. If I was you I would buy a can of duster (or any brand on compressed air) and take the card out of the PC. Remove the heat-sink and clean that sucker out as best as you can. Remove the original thermal paste and re-apply some higher-end thermal paste and put her back together. That should help.. at least enough to see a decrease in temperatures. Good luck ;)

7. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's a huge amount of air flow in that system. I'm just wondering if the stock HSF on your GPU isn't making good contact with your GPU. I had to replace my stock GPU cooler on my 3850 due to high temps under load but I don't ever remember it reaching over 100c though. Furmark is dedicated to benching the GPU (Opengl) extension. It really doesn't utilize the CPU much. It's dedicated for GPU benchmarking. Also I noticed you have your card overclocked. IMO, I would check your card for any dust build up or check and see if your fan is bumping up to 100% when the temps start to climb. Your fan may run up to only 65-70% which would bring up your GPU temp. Use Riva Tuner to see if your fan speed is operating properly. If need be, adjust it to 100% and run Furmark and see where your temp is.

8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    100C on the 4850 during Furmark is normal from what I have seen. Furmark stresses the CPU harder than any normal gaming situation would, to the point of it actually damaging some of the ATi cards(there were stories on it right around the launch of the HD4850's). The stock coolers simply are not up to the task of cooling the GPU for this benchmark. ATi even went as far as diliberately retarding performance in FurMark to lower the stress on the GPU(there were also stories about this a while back).

Edit: Read here about the overheating issues on the HD4850's. Which isn't really going to help you that much, as right after I posed this I realized you were talking about an HD3850 and not an HD4850...:laugh::banghead: Though if you are using the stock single slot cooler on your HD3850, those were known to be rather poor also, which would probably explain the high temps, the HD3850 just isn't crashing due to the high temps like the HD4850's did.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    U should see what happens with furmark 4870x2. I got 110C once.

10. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    How long did you leave it running?

11. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    5 minutes. Then it auto restart.

12. diddle New Member

Thanks Received:

:laugh:
    Well, I'll go out and buy some thermal paste this weekend and make a project of reapplying my GPU heatsink as well as cleaning it off.
    It doesn't get much over 80C when gaming even OC'd so it must just be Furbenchmark.
    I don't have much room under my card for a big heatsink, I have a low profile wireless network card so it can get airflow but I doubt I'll be able to install a giant aftermarket heatsink.

13. _jM

_jM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Shit thats nothing, when AMD OC the Phenom 2 to 6ghz and broke the 3DMark 06 record, the tem on the 4870X2 was reading 127c. Look at this...

[​IMG]

14. aj28 New Member

Thanks Received:
    WTF @ 25% fan speed?
    (Well there's your problem!!!)

15. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Those temps and fanspeeds are most likely a misread due to the stock cooler being removed. Im not sure 900MHz core is possible on air, but I could be way off.

16. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think those fan speeds are incorrect as you stated. They froze pretty much everything on that PC esp. the CPU. But it could be correct considering when they froze the CPU it pretty much froze everything else on the MB and connecte to the MB so the fans may not have needed to run at 100% or thought they didn't need to being froze. LOL.

17. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    My vote is on an incorrectly mounted heatsink or a bad airflow design.