1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Extremely Noob question... on on-board graphics

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by joeyck, Jan 22, 2011.

1. joeyck New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im planning on getting an ASUS 785-M micro ATX it says that it is DirectX 10.1 supported, i am 99% sure that is for the on board graphics, not the Asus DC 6870 i am getting (with DX11)....

....................... Right?..........

2. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    WOW strange , Why people get MB's with on board video then add a video card . Most have more problems doing this than not . and yes if it stated DX10.1 that would be for the on board video card . Good luck most have nothing but problems .

joeyck says thanks.
  3. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY

Thanks Received:
    I would assume he wants to use a micro atx design.Which is not very plausible to find one without built in graphics.

joeyck says thanks.
  4. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you drunk? :shadedshu

joeyck and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  5. trickson

Thanks Received:
    A little why ? :ohwell:

mastrdrver and joeyck say thanks.
  6. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I have NEVER had a problem with installing a dedicated card to a mobo with integrated GFX. No driver issues or conflicts to report.

joeyck and LifeOnMars say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your post just reeked of it :D I have had a couple of boards with onboard video and it has just been a case of disabling it in the bios if using a dedicated card. That's it :laugh: No issues and the added bonus is that when you are in between cards you still have full functionality of your computer:toast:

Bo$$, joeyck and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  8. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Man those poor intel users all of them with integrated intel graphics in there cpus....

I have run about 3 dozen boards with onboard all of which took an external no probs (790gx/780a for example)

joeyck and LifeOnMars say thanks.
  9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, it was talking about the onboard video (radeon 4200)

joeyck says thanks.
  10. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Im sorry trickson but ive had TONS of board with onboard GPU and have added better cards and never had and issue that was related to the onboard GPU

joeyck says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. joeyck New Member

Thanks Received:
    okay thank u much, and i had no problems with graphics on my last 785, i just disabled it and vula... lol but thank u all

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  12. trickson

Thanks Received:
    I have never had a MB with a built in vid card so I guess I would not know about the problems if any . I have however heard of them lots of times most were because they did not diable the on board card in bios . But I just don't get why any one would buy one and not use the video card that is on board , Isn't that the whole point of the MB in the first place and half of what one pays for ? I do not know I just don't get it . Like buying a sound card when the MB has one on the board , I payed for it why would I want to get a different one ?

13. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I bought my 785G w/ 128mb sideport because at the time I could not afford a card for my wife. Found a good deal on the 4650 a few months later and slapped it in. Im my situation, I used the HD4200 as a stop gap solution until I could afford to flesh out the rest of her system (i.e. better HSF for CPU, upgrading Ram from 1 gb to 2gb, and finally a gfx card).

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    my media PC is 785G with the 128MB sideport as well. i use it like that for media, and throw my 8800GTX (a spare) in there whenever someone wants to game on it.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  15. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Owner of M4A785-M here. Shit load of features, cheap bord and asus power surge that prevent the board to blow because as soon as there's a peak in voltage the special waste chip shut down the mobo. Onboard Radeon HD4200 that is auto-overclockable on demand with the Asus GPU Nos software.

DirectX 10.1 with Hybrid Crossfire. It not full crossfire but if you plug the DVI-D and the VGA at same time on your screen it will use the onboard for low power and if demand rise too much switch automaticaly to the pci-E videocard shutting down the onboard video. So you start with the 10.1 and if it rise then go to your direct X 11 card..which is good because you want a newer directX for gaming.

BUT...if you have a Source button on your lcd screen you are screwed because even if the hybrid crossfire switch videocard you will have to switch the screen source by pushing onto the button on the screen ;P

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  16. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    My board is uATX and has a ATI Radeon X2100 and I used to add a Nvidia Geforce 9500GT without problems... the BIOS disables the IGP automatically

17. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Go find a good mATX motherboard without integrated graphics.

Also, they're cheap. Good ones with the AMD 785G chipset are about €70-80 here, good overclockers, nice feutures.. The IGP doesn't add a lot to the price.

18. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    M4A785-M is the last one i think in the family line to use the ddr2 after the next board became ddr3 with same onboard features. just a change in memory.

19. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Bingo ! I got the MA785GM Gigibyte board and put a 6870 in it and have had zero issues.
    Just go to bios and turn off the on board and runs great. Great MB too. OC's well, runs cool and has lots of options.

20. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Ive had issues with going back to the integrated GFX (with a sudden death GFX card) but never a problem going to..Sometimes it can be a pain going back to the integrated because of the "PCI HOST Bridge Driver" is different and Windows can get a little pissy...but it's easily fixed upon a couple of reboots

21. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    My advice...If the onboard video is ATI chipet stick to ATI vid card for add on and if the onboard is nvidia stick with nvidia. Theres less change that the system get some compatibility issue. Nvidia and ATI makes good cards for different budgets if ever you want to upgrade but stick to my advice :D

22. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    apart from the catalyst drivers spitting up a 'no compatible card detected' error, i've had no issues mixing my 785G with an 8600GT, 8800GTX and GTX280. I dont uninstall the drivers, disable the onboard or anything at all. It 'just works' in windows 7.

MohawkAngel says thanks.
  23. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Respecting that! I was giving a noob video card advice to another noob video advice to prevent confusion of noobs :p Because I had this problem before with a M3A78-CM hd3200 radeon with a plugged in pci-e 16X BFG GeForce 9400GT 512megs DDR2.

The ATI drivers were semi-OK but when I was removing the Nvidia card to change thermal paste and use the onboar graph while i was doing it the Nvidia prog and drivers were bugging.

24. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    My mobo came with onboard. I have a video card, well actually have gone through 2. Had no problems with either one of them. Just me though.

25. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    AMD IGPs are nice since you can get a system without having to get a gpu on the initial build. Like the one I built for my brother-in-law and sister. Didn't need the power of a dedicated and found a AM3 790GX board for cheap on TPU. So why not? On something like that it always allows for crossfire later.

With Intel I don't consider their gpus as a livable option for anyone. Its like some kind of cruel and unusual punishment. I think anyone who can remember the i740 knows what I'm talking about.