• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Extremely Slow DualBand Wireless N Adapter

System Name The Beast
Processor Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD4650 Ultimate Edition
Storage 60GB Corsair Force LE, 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1, 500GB Seagate
Display(s) 22" Samsung T220HD & 19" Acer X193W
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I bought a Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless N adapter (Model# WNDA3100-200PES) and it, well, sucks. Not only am I only getting around 40% signal, which is the almost as low as the strength of the signal to the G routers in other houses, I'm also only getting 1Mb, if even, on a 30Mb connection.

I've tried it on 5GHz/2.4GHz mode, and just 2.4GHz mode and it's the same crap, slow as shit. I'm amazed that despite both the router and adapter being 802.11n, I barely even get 40% signal. My phone and iPod both connect to the router fine, as does my 360 which is wired. The 360 can't connect to my PC though.

I think I was spoiled when I used my simplistic wired connection in my old apartment, I think I should just go powerline? Shame it's going to run me €110 and I JUST wasted €40 on this stupid fucking wireless adapter and I can't return it as I stupidly binned the plastic wrapping and I ripped the box opening it. I didn't think it wouldn't work, I mean all it has to do is connect to the router...everything else works fine but noooo I can never get a bloody wireless adapter that works properly on PC.

I'm running their 1.0 bloatware and am going to try updating to 1.7 as it didn't work last time, hopefully it works this time.

Any suggestions on what to do/check? And this is my only option for powerline: click. Is there much difference speed wise in powerline compared to ethernet directly to the router?

I was gonna post a picture of where my wireless is sitting to see if it was in a bad place, but it's basically just sitting on my desk...and the 100kb image failed to upload, 5 times...

System Name home brew
Processor Intel Corei7 3770K OC @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 GSKILL
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon 7970, MSI Radeon 7970
Storage Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb. 2 TB Hdd.
Display(s) 3x24inch Dell Ultra IPS
Case CM storm trooper
Power Supply Antec Quattro OC ed. 1200w
Software Windows 7 Business x64
Benchmark Scores vantage: P43089
The further away you are from a wireless signal, the slower speeds you will get. Its possible you're running into interference where you're trying to connect to the router. Move the router around a bit if u can to try and improve that.

Can use a tool called netstumblar, on a laptop if possible to see where the signal is strong/weak in your house.