1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Eyefinity: My Opinion

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by random, Aug 25, 2010.

1. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I'm currently in the process of packing up my 2 extra eyefinity monitors. Sad to say I did not enjoy the exprience.

Don't get me wrong 3 Monitors and 1 big resolution looked sexy and jaw dropping. But in the end there were too many problems I was dealing with, I bought a new table, display ports and an extra 5870 for the ultimate experience. It wasn't as easy as I expected, the first and worst experience being no Vsync support... seriously? 3 Monitors surrounding you with screen tearing is not fun.

Secondly the frames were significantly reduced which is understandable but not such a great experience when you've spent $800 on a 5970 card.

Third and last, the fact you cannot use a mixed height of resolutions is a complete bummer to mainstream users like me, no matter what it will cost me a fortune to buy 2 extra monitors with 1080 height when I'm gonna be looking at the middle monitor 60% of the time.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, ATI's Eyefinity is still immature and is definitely not something enjoyable when all three problems are present. All 3 problems I've listed above all come down to the price of the feature, it is way too expensive to setup and is definitely currently only for someone with very deep pockets. Thus I cannot wait to return both of these monitors and spend the money on something more meaningful :rockout:

pantherx12 and wolf say thanks.
  2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    well if you look at what the technology IS, it's no surprise you can't mix vertical res. it will however fit it to the smallest vertical res, to allow you to still use those monitors.

have you ever seen a monitor with a large chunk missing from it? that's what different vertical res' would do. it really doesn't make sense to have that, imo.

as for Eyefinity itself... yeah, I am sad how bored I got with such an expensive toy. luckily I use the monitors and card for work, so i just invested in the DP adapter - which made all the difference by the way - anywho... it's not for most people to try atm. you have to have a stomach for troubleshooting and a love for the tech itself. even if it was broken i would use it to figure it out... it's what I do :)

random says thanks.
  3. surfingerman

surfingerman New Member

Thanks Received:
    for me eyefinity is a god send, yes it did give me a little trouble.. but if you compare that to what people go through with other things like triple head to go.. ect.. its truly revolutionary and comparatively a piece of cake, of course i dont know about using 2 gpus maybe giving trouble and i do have nice displayport monitors, i would gladly pay double the price of the 5870 just for the eyefinity, idont mind turning settings down a notch to keep frames high, if you play combat flight simulators my KD ratio went from 1:2 to 2:1 overnight form getting eyefinity, the awareness factor is key in dogfights, nothing beats it for competition

EYEFINITY I LOVE YOU@!!!

random and digibucc say thanks.
  4. random

random

Thanks Received:
    great to hear good things coming from it, I guess its just not for me :toast:

5. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    For me personally, I have trouble even keeping up with a single screen, I've tried multi monitors, It just ain't for me (maybe I'm getting old). But to each his own, and I respect that. It can be useful in combat sims like Surfinger said, racing games, in soccer games (where you can have a single cam). Seems fun but ain't for me sadly, especially considering the costs involved.

6. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    To me eyefinity is a gimmick. grats to the guys with deep enough pockets to fork out for all the hardware needed, screens and gfx subsystem etc... but really I don't ever expect multi screen gaming to ever really 'catch on' as such, I think single monitors will just keep increasing in size and resolution, and eventually they will make large-super-wrap-around-and-above widescreens, then you can vsync and just connect with one cable etc...

3-d however, I really feel like that might just catch on.

7. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I loved eyefinity even with two screens when I ran it briefly.

Plan on getting another 22inch 1680x1050 monitor and a replacement internal psu for my second 1680x1050 and rocking out :p

The only problem I had initially was the 2d clock problem, but I fixed that with a custom catalyst profile.

The other problem was obviously two monitors crosshairs etc are right in the middle, whilst I quickly got used to aiming like it was annoying as hell having that right in the middle of my vision where I see most detail D:

But the extra peripheral I LURVED ^_^

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it man, always a shame when tech doesn't work out how you want.

random says thanks.
  8. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    meh... I'm blind in one eye, eyefinity sucks... too much looking around for me. :(

9. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Had the same problem, since I had 2 screens. It wasn't right. Anyways my K/D ratio decreased a lot while playing COD4 like that, since I had to be more vigilant, with the larger FOV. I'm the one to stick my head close to the monitor. It didn't work out for me, so I quickly ditched it.

10. surfingerman

surfingerman New Member

Thanks Received:
    TBH i didnt see any improvement in my FPS shooting score, it helps alot if your a camper because you can see everything that happens, dont have to move around and give away your position, also sometimes you can see around corners really well when you face away.. hehehe however if you play hunter killer style its of little use because your constantly moving the screen around and moving fast you dont really have time to look at the side monitors

11. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Your not supposed to look at the second side screens really, you focus on the middle screen, the side screens are for peripheral version only, your pupils should move when you notice something in the peripheral so you get a clearer image of what it is, neck/head movement should be simulated with the mouse. Not the old fashioned way of actually moving your head and neck XD

12. surfingerman

surfingerman New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah tried that cant stop it, i have a built in habit from flight sim, i look around like a cockpit, its great for the plane, normally i would have to look in 8 different directions with hat switch just to see whats going on, with eyefinity i only have to look 4 different ways to get a 360 view, and 3 of those 4 allow me to see the front of the cockpit the only time i loose sight of the cockpit is when i look up, i can also always keep the plane im chasing on screen

13. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    i prefer one larger screen but a 22inch is good enough for me, what i do like though is having the pc hooked up to the tv for a second monitor for movies and that

the space in between the monitors on multi displays really annoys me unfortunately
    EDIT: im pretty sure that supreme commander used a second display as a map which was a good use actually id like to see more developers using second displays for other functions other than just extending the view

14. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    +10

15. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:

I've never really thought about that before now... but I actually agree! would be awesome if more games did what supreme commander did with the use of 2 screen's... hmmm maybe they do now, I just stick to one monitor now day's so wouldn't notice anyway's I guess :banghead:

16. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    I think company of heroes had that too. Its better suited for rts, me thinks.

17. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Yup it would be awesome if you could move the mini map maybe even like your health, GPS, menu, etc... on a second screen.

18. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    One thing about that worth noting is you do not need eyefinity in any form whatsoever to enable that in supcom, just two screens connected to the same gfx card of any type as I remember it.

nevertheless the point remains valid, extra screens could and should be used for awesome important stuff like that.

19. Hockster

Hockster

Thanks Received:
    I bought into the Eyefinity hype as well. I totally regret spending the money on such a little used feature. The software support is still severely lacking, DP technology is quite suspect, I find the whole thing still to be in the gimick stage. Most of this can be said about NV Surround as well, although they do not require DP, but do require two cards.

I'm still using all three monitors, I used duals for years and three is better, but it's many days between going into Eyefinity mode.

random says thanks.
  20. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    All because Windows stopped support of horizontal span. :shadedshu

21. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    No more gimmick than Physx on GPU. But yes it is immature, but also meant for more than just games. I have a few people with a need for it, but little understanding of what it will actually do for them, so they are unwilling. They have highlighted games, but have you ever tried to read a primary harness blueprint on even a 28" screen? Not a chance, but you combine four 1080 projectors, or four to six screens and all of a sudden it is easy to work with.

Right now it is more of a epeen than a usable feature for most.

10 Million points folded for TPU