1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Eyefinity setup question

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by kenjin, Jun 17, 2012.

1. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,
    I just purchase 3 asus monitor that comes with displayport alone with sapphire 6950 OC edition. ( also have another powercolor 6950 reference design currently using)

since is my first time setting up eyefinity, my question is what kind of cable i need to setup eyefinity?

Saphhire card comes with 1 DP, 2 DVI 1 HDMI
    Power color comes with 2x mini DP , 2 DVI, 1 HDMI

i been reading that I must connect all 3 monitor in a single card to get eyefinity to work is this true? if thats the case i was thinking using sapphire as main Video card with following cable

1 DP to DP cable and 2 DVI to HDMI cable.

if this is a valid cable setup do you think this DP cable will work?
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p..._id=1024601&p_id=5987&seq=1&format=4#feedback

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    You need to use at least one DP port. The other two monitors can conect DVI or HDMI, and yes, all must connect to the same card.

IF possible, just use regular DVI, no HDMI adapters.

And no, that cable will probably NOT work, unless you have a weird card. 6950's should have mini-DP connector, although that sapphire card seems a bit weird with only one DP....if it's a normal DP plug, then yes, the cable should be fine. You monitor might even come with one, though, so check that out first before you spend the extra $5.

I am running dual 6950's(I also ahve a third card), when ya run into issues, let me know. ANd yes, you probably will have issues of some sort or another. I suggest you use 12.3 catalyst driver.

kenjin says thanks.
  3. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    this is my sapphire card

SAPPHIRE 11188-22-20G Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit G...

my Powercolor card
    PowerColor AX6950 2GBD5-M2DH Radeon HD 6950 2GB 25...

my monitor ( does not have DVI connection) in this case im force to use DVI to HDMI that comes with it
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1990493

I have a IT friend who told me he got few spare Display port to DVI adaptors from his work ( it came with the Nvidia Quadro 265 card as a package ) I'm not sure if these adaptors are ACTIVE or Passive. I suppose i can give them a try before i make any purchase.

on another hand the monoprice DP cable is version 1.1 which i read that it limit to only 1920x1080 resolution? if thats the case it wont work for eyefinity? do I must get Version 1.2 DP cable?

Thanks

PS: yes I'm on Catalyst 12.3.

4. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    As wikipedia explains it;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

The only difference between 1.1 and 1.2 is an increase in bandwidth. The crux of the matter, as mentioned before is getting an adapter that is an "Active Display Port" adapter, not a passive one. This used to be 100+ dollars when only a few OEM's made them. But now there much more common.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004071ZX0/?tag=tec06d-20

Is one such adapter. There's no harm in trying something you've already got access to for free before dropping money. But the argument still stands is the adapter you're getting might not work.

kenjin says thanks.
  5. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea the adaptor my friend got me is the one in picture. it didnt mention if is active or passive. but since is a converter i'm assuming is Active.

[​IMG]

6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    ACTIVE = Powered. ie, using USB cable for power.

7. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    according to this post here explained
    2) An active adapter converts a true displayport signal into DVI/HDMI/VGA/whatever else. It will have either a converter chip or a DAC built in to do said conversion. Contrary to popular belief, they do not need to have a usb power connection, in fact there are many that do not.

http://www.overclock.net/t/721931/active-vs-passive-displayport-adapters-the-truth

8. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    analog output, yes, active can be not outside-powered. BUt nearly 99% of DVI or HDMI adapters are powered via USB. There are somew single-link DVI adapters that are active, without USB, but honestly, I did not have luck with mine.

I've been running eyefinity since September 2009.

9. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    just wanted to be prepare. for some reason it leads me to believe the nvidia DB converter is passive.

now if i use a DP to DP cable ( my monitor have DP port) this should work right?

10. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, no need for adapter if your monitor has DP. Personally, I'd try to stay away from any converter cables, or such devices, if posible, and just use normal cables to connect monitors. You shoudl be able to connect 2 monitors via DVI, and one via DP, and things will work relatively well.

DP 1.1 cables not recommended, though, can lead to monitor drop-outs.