1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

F@H even worth it?

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by michaeltyson, Apr 5, 2011.

1. michaeltyson New Member

Thanks Received:
    I downloaded f@h for a game i played. They had a team number and everything. But to get rewards i needed what seemed like millions of points. THe packages 250 pacakages took like hours to do. It would have taken me years of my computer being constantly turned on doing packets just to get the points for the rewards. Anyone else find this with f@h?
  2. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    its not about rewards or points in the end, it's about science and lending yourself to helping out a greater cause. it is charity.

if your doing it just for the points, you're doing it wrong.
  3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I think its a complete waste, no rewards=no Folding. That is all.

/sarcasm

:D
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    :slap:

:laugh:
  5. Bow

Bow

Thanks Received:
    :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What?!? They give out points for F@H??? Holy Shiznet. Seriously, F@H is not for everyone. To make even a moderate splash in this distributed computing project, it takes a little cash and alot of effort. What are your system spec's? Chances are your not fully optimizing your hardware and this is why you have low production. Oh, I wish I could say a game had introduced me to F@H, but it took my Mother succumbing to Colon Cancer for me to realize the value that this project has. I hope you still consider folding.

:toast:

P.S. Are you the Mike Tyson that owns the tiger???
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Granted, I won a 9600GSO once in a contest we held here at TPU, but we don't fold for "rewards". I don't fold expecting something in return for it. It's a form of charity; we fold to do away with diseases that plague us as human beings. We're breaking a glacier with icepicks... many thousands of icepicks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Can I ask which game required Folding@home, what was the Team number and what rewards where you supposed to get ??

As for, is it worth it ? In my opinion if we can help one little tiny bit with finding the cure to cancer and other deadly diseases, well then it is certainly worth it.
    If you could pay money to stop people from suffering the pain of these diseases, then I would certainly give more.Folding@home is just another way to hopefully find a cure and stop the suffering.
  9. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    My grandmother recently passed from bone cancer, it's all about research to find the cure for cancer, its a deadly disease and it kills their life and yours emotionally. I would fold, but I'm sad to say I just don't have the time. :(
  10. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    No time? If you've got time to browse TPU, you've got time to fold. It only takes a few minutes to set up, then it runs on its own.
    qubit says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. BinaryMage

BinaryMage New Member

Thanks Received:
    F@h and WCG and other crunching projects are not about points, as others have pointed out. And anyone can help a bit. Unless you are browsing these forums on your phone, and you have no computer (and if you don't have a computer, you shouldn't be here anyway) you have no excuse whatsoever not to crunch or fold. It doesn't require more than a few minutes to set up the client, and you can just set it to run when you're not using your computer and forget about it. When you fold or crunch you may be saving people's lives. Five minutes of your time is definitely worth that!
  12. hertz9753

hertz9753

Thanks Received:
    This seems so familiar. What was the name of the team that did this before? They got kicked back to zero total points twice.
  13. Taskforce Guest

No incentives so no not worth it, world is already overpopulated so who cares if a few people die.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
  14. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Morally wrong as that may sound, it is true. Keeping everyone alive just results in more people dying of hunger and other problems. So if you don't solve the space and food problem first, the cure for cancer isn't much of a blessing for the world.
  15. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    That's the same way I look at it. Lots of my friends who I've told about these projects long ago seem surprised when I talk about it in the present, saying "you're still doing that?". I look at it as a waste NOT to do it. All those idle cycles that would otherwise be going to waste can be put to very good use. It's so disappointing to me when I ask someone to get involved and they decline for one reason or another... there's no reward, no incentive, it will break my computer, costs money to run the computer like that, it's a virus, it's helping North Korea build nukes... really the only valid argument I can see is the increased electric bill. I hate to even ask people to do it anymore, as there's a 90% chance I'll get shot down on the spot, and a 90% chance that if they do run it, they'll blame some problem with their computer on me, or the program... if you want a job done right, you've got to do it yourself.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Robot ninja bodies. Fixes all those problems.
  17. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I only started folding the other day and it's something I've been meaning to do for a stupidly long time but haven't been able to.

Prizes mean dick - the effort that everyone puts in for the greater good is the best prize of all.
    BUCK NASTY says thanks.
  18. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    So, in other words, because many problems exist, it's not worth solving one because another problem will step into the foreground? Even Jay-Z knows he got 99 problems, but at least a bitch ain't one.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Yes, use your computer to research that option. Prioritize the ninja part though.

I'm not saying it's not worth solving, but with the overpopulation as it is now all those computers can probably research other things instead. Anything related to solving more structural problems. Being healthy is worthless when you have nowhere to live and nothing to eat.
    In my great country we have a saying "dweilen met de kraan open", the literal translation is "mopping with the tap running". See if you can figure what it means and apply that here.
  20. kg4icg

kg4icg

Thanks Received:
    I've been folding for 2 years and 3 months. I look at it this way. It's one hell of a stress tester on overclocked equipment. If your overclocking results can go through a month of Folding bigadv wu's, then it can go through anything.
  21. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    i don't get it either, it's just loads your pc and give you point and with points you can't do nothing, science? what do want to archieve with it?
  22. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Why not read this to understand what science achieves with folding?
    Radical_Edward says thanks.
  23. mauriek

Thanks Received:
    rewards? well i'm a poor man..working on the job for U$200-U$250 pay each month, i fold since January 2007, 24h/7d if i'm not out of town.

as far as i remember, I always must think 100 times before buying any hardware/software but i notice ever since i start folding, somehow i always find a way to buy/upgrade computer parts to continue my gaming hobby and almost never broke any hardware since my PC fold..maybe that's my rewards.. :)
    it's a little different problem..while we eat today, we always get hungry the next day, nothing is worthless..social, politic, health, environment problem will be solved on each track..compiled all tiny solved problem together we will get a better world.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I know a lot of people with cancer, and some close ones have died from it, but I'm with danthebanjoman here. It's good that other people do it, but there are other things that are more pressing.
  25. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Stupidity, crime, war, natural disasters, and other BS will keep population under control. No one should have to suffer dying from diseases like cancer and Alzheimers. I find it hard to believe anyone who was actually close to someone who died from one of these diseases would think 'oh well.' Im sure if the Dr came in with some bad news the matter would become a little more pressing.
    hertz9753 and KieX say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU