1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

*** F@H Tech Assistance Thread ***

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by BUCK NASTY, Jul 10, 2009.

1. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Congratulation. Here is a good starting point - http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1420042 Sadly you can only make 4 core units.
    DRDNA says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I would think I would be able to run 5 of them 4 core babies tho to equal the 20 CPU limit.
  3. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    nope, two only (each 8 GB) since you only have 20 GB ram
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    awhh :nutkick: I got giddy then and insta checked my mail, still no sign of an invite
  5. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Well I just started the set up and first thing they want is my credit card info even tho it is free.... lol . like that is going to happen...NOT!:mad:
  6. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I've been getting about 4,800 ppd between my two Radeon 4000-series cards on the old client. I had a virus hop in to all my shared folders and attach itself to any executable it could find, so I had to re-download F@H and saw that they were pushing for v7. After a few days of running, it's telling me "Total Estimated Points Per Day: 1137". It detects both GPUs and has a SMP client running as well.

GPU0 (4870):
    Base Credit: Unknown
    Estimated Credit: Unknown
    Estimated PPD: Unknown
    Estimated TPF: 2 mins 40 secs
    Project 4724

GPU1 (4850):
    Base Credit: Unknown
    Estimated Credit: Unknown
    Estimated PPD: Unknown
    Estimated TPF: 4 mins 20 secs
    Project 4756

SMP (Phenom II X2 550, 3.6GHz):
    Base Credit: 788.00
    Estimated Credit: 1645.70
    Estimated PPD 637.04
    Estimated TPF 37 mins 12 secs
    Project 7610

The first GPU-Z is GPU0, the second is GPU1. GPU1 seems to be doing no work at all, but even if it was completely dead, GPU0 should do over 2,000 points per day by itself.
    [​IMG]

I thought the low PPD might be because the client can't figure out the base credit for the GPU clients, but the CPU page pretty clearly states 631.37 estimated PPD. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Crunching for Team TPU 2 Million points folded for TPU
  7. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    hi my main rig is as listed ,so we have similar ish setups, ive quit folding on my quad because it was limiting my gpu's folding, gpu still uses a lot of cpu rescource and my two cards use about 50% of my quad anyway , i dont really know why but the points through gpu only are higher if i dont fold on the cpu, id try that plus if they are the first time that projects run it cant give you ppd or eta as it does not know yet either of them things:)

plus i allways leave crossfire enabled as sometimes the 2nd card can power down if you have power saveing enabled but xfire helps stop this and strangely ppd's higher
    xvi says thanks.
  8. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Crossfire is enabled and the GPU clients have completed a few units already. The projects should have been run through the benchmark computer and should have a point value assigned to them, so I can't figure out why it wouldn't know the base credit of the unit.

It's true that this is the first time I've folded on both GPUs and my CPU. I'll try pausing my SMP client. Maybe that will make the second GPU work? You're right though. The ATI GPU clients like to hog CPU to run.
  9. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    sorry didnt realise xfire was on, and i missunderstood you points sittuation i have had it do that but it has tended to sort itself out after a few wu, unless it changes project and some projects havent given me a guestimate ppd just like your getting, not untill a day or two running,
    xvi says thanks.
  10. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    I disabled the GPU clients so I could finish the SMP client's workunit before I disable it. I'm up to an estimated 1732 PPD, so it looks like it may not have been taking the GPU clients in to account.

Once the SMP client is finished, I'll run the GPU clients steady for a few days and see if it clears up.

Thanks!
  11. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    this is why it's low ATI GPU2 core those are not the newer GPU3/core_15 openCL WU's but the older GPU2/Core_11 wu's they aren't worth as much in PPD

you need to add Client-type == Advanced . to the extra slot options otherwise all you'll recieve are the older GPU2/Core_11 Wu's
  12. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Nope. He has 4xxx series cards, he can only use GPU2.
  13. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    ahhhh then buggar he's stuck getting GPU2 Wu's I would have thought they would have plowed through those Wu's though

ok so it's an easy fix..... Upgrade to HD5xxx series or newer graphics cards problem solved
  14. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Whats the best client for AMD cards right now?

I have a few laptops with 6320's and such I want to get running but I thought there was a new client... Can't find a new one.

Trying to search, getting lazy I'm at work and I still have work to do... Oh the slacker in me is amazing some days.
  15. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    your best bet is to go with the V7 it's a dodle to set up and get running just remember to add

Cliet-Type ::: Advanced in the extra slot options and your away laughing
    niko084 says thanks.
  16. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    its auto detection of amd cards has improved greatly with the forum linked v7 beta you need no options and it will fold x16 WU's straight away:)

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143124
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
    niko084 says thanks.
  17. Athlonite

Athlonite

Thanks Received:
    huh sweet I haven't been folding since 7.1.38 power bill got to high so had to stop
  18. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    I'm going crazy

I'm having big problems with F@H. (BTW, I have a second system running a GTX460 on XP that has not dropped a WU, period) The system I'm referring to here is an I5-650, 4GB, 1TB, ASUS P7P55D-E Pro, 2x Gigabyte GTX 460's 1GB. I Folded for months without any problems other than an occasional dropped WU in the middle of the night. I think that may have been due to the "power off monitor" power setting problem. I checked and noticed that the 2 GPU's had different BIOS's so I updated the BIOS's without backing up the BIOS's :eek:. When I started having problems, I installed the latest driver. About the same time, the P764x WU's came out and all hell broke loose. Cutting to the chase:
    *I'm having problems with the cards not working at full capacity even though Afterburner says that they're fully loaded. Such as getting <9K on a WU that I normally get >14K. It's frustrating getting up in the morning to find that a card has been running at 2/3 effectiveness.
    Picture:
    [​IMG]

Notice the whacked-out desktop.

[​IMG]

Here, notice the temperature for GPU2 relative to it's workload.

Anyone with any idea's?
  19. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    The only thing that comes to mind is that the card in slot 1 is degrading.

That 8031 WU runs almost a strait line on my single 460. With as much heat, full fan.

I run a CPU slot and have tried a GPU slot, at the same time, but the heat was too great, so I pulled the GPU slot.

Also, from some other source, maybe F@H Forum, it was indicated that the GPU slots do use CPU cycles and perhaps with 2 cards going the CPU is being taxed more heavily, thus the squiggly line.(?)

It was suggested to me that I change the CPU slot to a lower amount of cores running, so that the GPU slot would run cooler. I have not tried this.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
    thebluebumblebee says thanks.
  20. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    thebluebumblebee and jsfitz54 say thanks.
  21. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    OK, trying new 7644 GPU:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  22. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys, but that is not what is going on. I know about and have experienced the P764x WU's and almost quit Folding because of them.
    New picture. Note: Afterburner and the F@H client see the GPU's position opposite of each other. Notice that the P8034 WU seems to be loading the GPU to 99%, but yet the PPD is far below the 14,291PPD (or 3 min., 52-53 seconds TPF)that I normally get with them. Also, the temperature is about 10C too low for a full workload. If this was the fault of the P764x WU working on the other GPU, wouldn't I see less than 99% usage of that GPU? My van right now is sometimes slipping into "limp home mode" which is 2nd gear. 4000 RPM at 45 MPH. That is what this feels like, and I hate using such an emotional term to describe how a computer is working.
    [​IMG]
    theoneandonlymrk and ThE_MaD_ShOt say thanks.
  23. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    If you're pretty sure it's a BIOS problem, have you looked through TPU's VGA BIOS Collection for the original BIOS to your card? (Or perhaps a different BIOS altogether?)
  24. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    Half a month later and I'm having the same problem. It's definitely completing units, but it still won't register a base credit for the current WU. I am, however, still on the same project as before.

Additional thoughts anyone?
  25. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    does V7 client work with radeon 48xx, i do remember your prior posts

after looking at this guide http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGuide

it says 5xxx and above and 2xx and above for nvidia, you might want to go back to the older client

sorry if youv said are they doing x11 or x16 wu's

coincidentally has anyone tried mixed Brand folding on V7 beta ,because i want to throw an nv card in my main rig thereby giving me an extra client but with the first V7 beta it kept robbing all the Wu's off the amd cards and randomly too, id not notice for a hwile sometimes so im warey.