1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Face recognition in ASP.net

Discussion in 'Programming & Webmastering' started by Flash, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Flash

Thanks Received:
  2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it's possible (although it may not be very easy).
    Yes, you can ask all the questions you want (We just won't do the work for you). :toast:

3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    ASP.NET? I don't think that is something that should be done server side. There's not only the performance concern, but privacy as well. If I were in your shoes, I'll look at Silverlight.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Flash

Thanks Received:
    Using that open source, what aspect would make it difficult? I'd like to mention I am at a beginner stage in .net and ASP.net, and standard knowledge in creating "basic" programs (a calculator, etc), basically what you would expect in 2 years in computer science.

Right now I am looking into "translating" the windows form application into a web application. Should I expect it to work very similar to the windows application?

The application stores the "trained" faces together with a .txt file which matches the name. I'm thinking I could have a box where the user would put his "name" and if that name is associated with the picture, it would grant access?

I found this website: http://startrinity.com/VideoRecognition/FaceRecognition/FaceRecognitionSourceCode.aspx
    Is this something you would be suggesting? I tired running the sample program, but silverlight would crash on me :(

5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Don't make it a web application. That really is your best option, you should probably use Java since you can run it on just about any platform or implement it as an applet on a website. This said applet could have a web service that a web application could call in order to check if authentication succeeded or failed.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Flash

Thanks Received:
    My school project requirement is to implement it as an ASP.net application. I also have almost no usable knowledge in regards to java applets, or how I could use java with the open source code.

I do have silverlight, but unfortunately it keeps crashing. Even their online face recognition demo is crashing the plugin. I will try re-installing silverlight and see if that helps. That's why I didn't bothered that much with that website, and tried to just translate the open source code from windows app to web app

8. Flash

Thanks Received:
    Hey so quick update. I tried porting the code from the windows application to web application but unfortunately I cannot have the tools required added to the web application.

Going by this tutorial: http://fewtutorials.bravesites.com/entries/emgu-cv-c/level-1---lets-make-a-camera-application, I would need a ImageBox taken from EMGU .dll, but that is not available in asp.net (unless I somehow miss it). (direct link: http://www.emgu.com/wiki/index.php/Add_ImageBox_Control)

FordGT90, I still tinkered with silverlight, unfortunately it's not realiable (crashes most often), and I also cannot open their sample code without receiving the following 2 errors:
    Code:
    D:\Dropbox\BCIT\T4.5\COMP_4904\Project\startrinity.com_face_recognition_v1.1\StarTrinity.FaceRecognition.SL.Sample\StarTrinity.FaceRecognition.SL.Sample.csproj : error  : Unable to read the project file 'StarTrinity.FaceRecognition.SL.Sample.csproj'. 
    D:\Dropbox\BCIT\T4.5\COMP_4904\Project\startrinity.com_face_recognition_v1.1\StarTrinity.FaceRecognition.SL.Sample\StarTrinity.FaceRecognition.SL.Sample.csproj(104,3): The imported project "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\Silverlight\v4.0\Microsoft.Silverlight.CSharp.targets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

9. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Flash

Thanks Received:
    I installed the Silverlight 4 and now I can open the sample code without a problem. However, this looks way over my head, and I do not think I can actually implement it since i don't actually understand the implementation (and there is no tutorial).

Right now I am trying to use activex to open the windows form from the asp.net webpage. I'm still reading over google to see if I can figure out how I can implement that

11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Silverlight applets are implemented the same as Flash would be. ASPX basically opens them as an HTML object.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You said this is for a class, do you have any instructions for the project that the teacher/instructor/professor has given you? My concern is that using silverlight might be outside the scope of the project requirements.