1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Facebook to acquire company behind Oculus Rift VR headset for $2 billion

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by natr0n, Mar 25, 2014.

1. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:
  2. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Balls. Absolute balls. The last thing we need is a big money hungry corporation acquiring one of the few awesome things in this world. I know Fassbook have many monies, but seriously, OR was doing just fine as it was. I want my affordable 1080p VR headset for gaming, not your advert ridden, NSA prowled social networking.

God. Freaking. Damnit.

3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Where does Carmack stand on this? Did he bail or profit? Maybe he'll go back to id?

4. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Easy Rhino and Mindweaver say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. natr0n

natr0n

Thanks Received:

I'm sure he will be distraught.

6. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Seen this today on facebook :D truley sad news.So whats left is hope for project morpheus for ps4

7. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Oh well. Looks like the future in VR starts with pretending to like FaceBook.
    :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I am sure Facebook will collapse in a few years

9. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    jesus... not fucking facebook...
    why do they have to fuck up everything...

10. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Only thing I like about facebook is candycrush,but i dont want to be that game on VR

11. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Minecraft just backed out of Oculus support.

ELiTRiGG3R, james888, digibucc and 3 others say thanks.
  12. DF is BUSY

DF is BUSY

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: was this before or after hearing the news?

RIP occulus rift, so sad to see a promising project go to crap

13. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh man - this might just be the start...

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. lanceknightnight New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sony is creating a competitor. This shows market viability of the technology.

Facebook has been looking for ways to modify its holdings to be similar to Google. This is done by purchasing portions of the market and developing items. When I say develop I am actually saying that they purchase developments. This is a savy move on Facebook's part as they now have a unique tech. A desired tech to develop once the valuation of the company is compared to market earnings. Facebook has poor sales of add space, no real income streams but a very high price based on speculation of these streams increasing. I think this purchase is genius as it is a viable income stream and gives the funding of a few billion dollars for a product that if Facebook fails could bring down the whole stock. Facebook will make this project crush Sony's attempt or be out 2 bill which would make the market see Facebook as an ego stock of Mark Z. I say this as failure would reveal Mark Z purchased this since it was cool and because it was viable. This would tank a good portion of the company share value after the valuation was inspected.

Facebook will invest a fortune to improve this product or face a potential collapse of the stock value. This is a big risk. Because as stated above Sony has a product with very similar specs but is made by an electronics manufacturer. Sony will set a minimum spec bar and Face book must beat it. Ironic as the electronics and screen must be purchased from one of the producers of these items. Sony makes a lot of these items. Sony likes to keep key innovations in house. Facebook will rely on seconds to produce a superior item for the same price. I hope I have made this clear. Facebook is hunting a white whale and may catch it but may also be dragged to the bottom of the sea.

kn00tcn and Mathragh say thanks.
  15. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I just cancelled my DK2 preorder... I'll weather the storm to see how this plays out. This can be good, and it can be bad. Either way this could fuel Valve into creating there own VR head set.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. lanceknightnight New Member

Thanks Received:
    You know that 2 billion invested will make this product very important.

17. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    facebook spent 400 cash. the other 1.6bil is in stock.

18. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. lanceknightnight New Member

Thanks Received:
    Purchased with overinflated stock..... That make the owners technically own the company still.

The 400mil in cash is nice.

The question is how much will big F invest in development.

20. lanceknightnight New Member

Thanks Received:
  21. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    I'm noticing that as well. But really why does Oculus think it has to compete with Sony? Both are for two different platforms. Plus 400 million in cash does not compete with Sony, but it still should help push OR a long. I hope it's good news for vr.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    This is a sad day for all of us waiting for VR to finally come to fruition, I just can't believe this :shadedshu:

Part of me wants to take a wait and see approach, but I can't help but feel like any hope of having a gaming centered VR device delivered to us in the next couple of years have been crushed.

The original vision of this highly regarded company is now tainted by all the corporate and social media crap that emanates from everything FB related, it saddens me greatly to think that the patina that covers everything remotely associated with this obviously advertising driven company will now permeate every single decision the Rift developers will make from now on.

It's a sad day for PC gamers, I dread to think that we'll have to navigate through add infested menus and stupid farmerville requests from our FB "friends" that will pop up while we game on the rift.

Oh god Sony, please make project Morpheus PC compatible, you're our only hope :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Can you imagine wearing some kind of HUD that gives you constant updates about what your friends (and people you don't know) are doing at that very moment all the time, and tracks what you do to share with others? Or even a device that captures what you see for the company to digest and sell for advertising? Pop ups while you are wearing it with new targeted ads? Hell maybe they can shrink the device down so it beams ads straight at your optic nerve! That is the future...

:eek:

(I've been Facebook free since 2008)

edit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/t...vr-maker-of-virtual-reality-headset.html?_r=0

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/1wf6mg/so_no_way_to_confirm_this_but_my_friend_works_in/

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/25/the-creator-of-doom-is-now-a-facebook-employee/

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  24. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    I'm searching for reasons behind this action from the side of Occulus.
    Before todays announcement the OR showed quite a bit of promise, with more than enough buzz for it not to die easily, and enough backers to sustain them untill the release for sure. Even more after all the attention they once again got at the start of the year, and with the announcement of their 2nd developer kit, I'd say they were looking rather good from both a market perspective and business perspective. Furthermore, with it being backed mainly by stuff like kickstarter and people buying in early to support them, one would say that they would've been fairly community centered and everyone was expecting them to behave rather like the "good guys". After all, they owe everything they currently have and are to those people expecting them to produce a product that excels at one thing only: Being a virtual reality headset.

Now all of a sudden, eventhough they've got a massive community backing them, seemingly enough capital to keep their momentum going, and showing a promising outlook product wise, they decide its all not enough and sell their soul to the arguably worst tech giant in existance today.
    I don't think anyone with some basic knowledge about the tech world today has any illusions about what facebook and to a lesser degree all free internet services today are actually about, and I'm having a hard time coming up with any reasoning the ruling party at occulus must've had regarding combining the views of an ideologically "sound", and majorly crowdfunded company with that of facebook. There simply isn't anything they as a hardware company(while staying true to that category) would need from facebook, except maybe some extra advertising(which also is weird when you think about it, with facebook being about people and not companies(or is it)).
    So that leaves money; the only thing left that I can see as a motivator for the occulus staff. Apparently spearheading exiting new technology with maybe not a very near prospect of getting obscenely rich wasn't enough, as the riches had to come sooner! That apparently was worth throwing away both their good name, and the trust of about 90%+ of their loyal followers.
    I really hope the reaction of the community spurs on other developers, because unless this will/can be rolled back I'm looking for a replacement product, as are apparently a great number of others.

Sorry for the rant; I'm not normally one to rant but with another really exiting tech ruined for me personally I just wanted to share my views.

Vario says thanks.
  25. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I'm betting Carmack will jump ship once they restrict what he does.