1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Failing 8600 GTS taking a display DVI port with it?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Aquinus, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone,

I have an interesting problem. I just finished configuring a machine with an GeForce 8600 GTS for a rig I will be using at work. I was running (or trying) to run two displays in Linux (with limited success which has discouraged me once again from using nVidia+Linux for multi-monitor,) until the second display stopped displaying anything. The 8600 also started displaying POST on the second display when it was always showing it on the first. Now, no matter what display I connect to the DVI on this monitor it doesn't get detected. HDMI and VGA work fine but DVI seems to be shot and now after only using one display for about an hour I'm getting no output on any of my DVI ports on the 8600 GTS but the second display appears to be fine.

Is it possible that the 8600 GTS over-voltaged or somehow provided too much power the the DVI DDC for the display? This would explain why it doesn't work but doesn't explain why the DVI doesn't appear to work at all now in its entirety. I suspect that the card may be dying but I find it hard to believe that a video card would damage an external display. I've had a display with DDC fail but it caused issues for all inputs, not just one.

What does everyone think? (Yes, I've tried different cables and with different machines and all connections inside the machine are good.)

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    when you say different machines you mean the dvi port still doesn't work on the monitor even when it's hooked up to a different pc with a different gpu? i am surprised but that is pretty conclusive that it did damage the dvi port on the display.

3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Yes. That is exactly what I mean, however HDMI (which also uses DDC,) works fine, so I'm a little baffled.

It could be a coincidence, but its way too odd for me to rule it out.

digibucc says thanks.