1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fallout New Vegas low resolution textures

Discussion in 'Games' started by Darksonic22, May 4, 2011.

1. Darksonic22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So the other day I started up Fallout New Vegas again after a break and I come back to some guns with awful big black pixelated sqaure shadows on them and when ever I look a few inches infront of me everything is blurred to hell and also the ground literally looks like the minecraft texture for rock and I don't understand why.

I have no mods installed and I've reinstalled.
    My rig
    Intel Quad core 2.40ghz
    Nivida geforce 275 gtx 800mb
    3 gig Ram
    Windows 7 64 bit

It was fine earlyier but I came back to it the other day and everything looks like a ps1 game apart from under my feet. I've tried to post this on a lot of sites and even email bethesda but no replies from anyone and I just want to play my game without these horrible blurs and smudges cos my game used to look good but now fuzzy pixely and rubbish.

Here is a screenshot you may need to zoom in to it, it seems like a problem with draw distance aswell:

http://img861.imageshack.us/i/42859948.jpg/

Here is a screenshot:

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    the picture doesn't look like your description.

it looks a little off, but just like the settings aren't maxed maybe. but no square blocks or minecraft textures for sure.

truthfully i don't know what that means. obviously monitor comes to mind but i have to
    assume it doesn't look like that with anything else, including other games?

Darksonic22 says thanks.
  3. Darksonic22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay I over exadurated :p sorry about that but all my other games are fine I've been playing Portal 2 on ultra and Crysis 1 on meduim to high but Fallout even though my settings are maxed still doesn't look great at all even the console version looks better and I do have it console :p
    Thanks for replying though

4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    no problem.

settings are maxed? do you notice a difference changing low to high & vice versa?
    have you changed any defaults in your nvidia control panel? locking aa or anything?

the screen shot doesn't look that bad, so i have to assume it's your card's settings and not the game files.

Darksonic22 says thanks.
  5. Darksonic22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It probably will be the nvidia control panel I've had to do a ton of tweaking so I best put it all back to default :) thanks again

6. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's been some time since I played that game, but I'm ready to bet that that's how the actual textures look.

I just loaded the game and took a screenshot. Look at the low textures on my character's hands and the gun..
    I think this game needs some good texture overhaul mods :)

[​IMG]

Darksonic22 and digibucc say thanks.
  7. Darksonic22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    See on the varmint rifle with the big black shadow? Well on mine that has black sqaures going down the side where it should be getting brighter it's strange

8. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    yeah i do see the difference in pixelation for the shadows on the gun, so it's probably the shadows causing the issue - as everything else looks right in your ss.

Darksonic22 says thanks.
  9. Darksonic22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe my shadows need to be put up to full then but my PC and shadows don't get on at all :p

10. Darksonic22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm no difference I've reset everything changed resolutions and shadows but still afoot infront of me everything looks like blurred mess and pixely on guns

11. Darksonic22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Huh it's fixed I put AA to max and AF lol thanksguys anyway it's much appreiciated :D

12. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's great. I also run AA and AF maxed, perhaps that's why those little squares don't show up on my varmint.

Still, textures in Fallout NV aren't that great...

13. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I notice what hes talking about. Its the mipmapping settings. Check your graphics control panel and color bit depth. AF definately fixes it somewhat, but again check your mipmap settings.

digibucc says thanks.
  14. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    yea you need texture settings on high mipmap settings to best quality, etc otherwise it can get ugly. overall tho i use so many mods i dont use the vanilla in game equipment anymore.

15. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, reinstall FO3 and it should occur to you how low res some of this game is.....an embarrassment for a 2010 game, but the trend when it comes to games that have already been degraded for consoles.

arnoo1 says thanks.
  16. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow. Were weapon textures and models really that bad? I mean I do remember that graphics weren't so good, especiaally textures, but the first thing that I thought when looking at the screenshots was "LOD for those models are completely fucked up, as if using the models/textures that should have been used on enemies 30 m away from the player or something". I mean for the textures, I could "almost" understand them, the game being cross platform and consoles only having 256 MB, etc. But the model? It's almost just a f***g cylinder, I could do that in under 3 mins!

In fact, if my memory serves, the hunting rifle looked much more like this:

[​IMG]

It's just a random screenshot taken from google, so I don't know if that's with a mod applied, but on my head it looked pretty much like that and nowhere close to what I see on ss in this thread. So I reiterate that probably LOD is broken for both OP and BP.

17. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    thats a different weapon above bene

i can confirm the varmint rifle does indeed look that shitty other weapons look better,

digibucc says thanks.
  18. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah ok. It's really horrible then, from the looks of it it doesn't even have UVW coordinates set right, which would be understandable if it was indeed a low detail LOD replacement, but not for the player's weapon. :banghead:

I never played New Vegas. That weapon is not present in Fallout 3 right? Or maybe I forgot about it, because it's a shame for 3d artists around the world.

And yeah after googling varmint rifle... and seeing that it trully is that way (not that I didn't believe you crazyeyes)... you MUST use this mod. Even if you want to play vanilla, I think at least this ONE mod (or a similar one) is essential.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=41224

[​IMG]

I dont know if this affects the unscoped or other versions of this weapons, maybe there's a mod that replaces all weapons... then use it. Just use it.

PS: Sorry if I'm being annoying but I'm shocked and terribly horrified by such a model in a 2010 game... :cry:

19. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    lol you got to remember bene consoles were the lead platform for Oblivion Fallout 3 and New Vegas all same game engine same settings same everything, nothings changed from Bethesda / Obsidian with this game engine in 5 years, it looks old because it is old lol

also that mod was removed because the user was a POS and stole it from someone else lol.

heres a working link to the original modder who did the work
    http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35189

and yea bene trust me i use alot of mods 90+ for New Vegas and counting,

just grabbed the Eve 900 companion mod a couple days ago adds the Terminators to the game + underground lab and about 40-50 new mutated creatures etc so it was pretty epic. If you havent played New Vegas id say pick it up and give it a play through. its worth about 2 full plays roughly 90-120hrs. with no DLC but then again might as well wait for the Game of The Year version.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  20. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dled a hi res weapons mod, popped it into the data folder, but nothing happened...?

21. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    did you unpack the file or did you just moved it to data?

22. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some mods require fallout mod manager as well.

23. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    I unpacked this to a 270mb textures folder, and moved that to my FV data folder as per the read me.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas/data

24. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well that mod isnt supposed do change your gun in the first person view only when you drop it

download this mod http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38285

Last edited: May 6, 2011
    Kwod says thanks.
  25. ShogoXT

ShogoXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not really what the OP is talking about though. If you right click the image and click view image, you will see all textures at angles are SQUARES. No filtering whatsoever. Like you are playing Quake 2 software rendering. Its the mipmaps.