1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fan for H60 (High air pressure?)

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Jegergrim, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I've been browsing 120mm fans from caseking.de, and found a couple of candidates, but I need help deciding on the fan, note that the price difference is negligible and it will be used for overclocking approximately to 4.5ghz

CPU: 2500k
    Cooler:Corsair H60
    Case:Lian Li PC-Q08

Fans(PWM not needed, I will try to make it run at its highest RPM):

-Be Quiet Shadow Wings High-Speed: http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog...ter-Shadow-Wings-High-Speed-120mm::17620.html

-Alpenföhn Wing Boost Plus: http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog...oost-Plus-PWM-Luefter-black-white::17942.html

-Akasa Apache: http://www.caseking.de/shop/catalog/Luefter/Akasa/Akasa-Apache-120mm-PWM-Fan-black::13872.html

-Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM (another shop)

Build quality and reliability also matters

Thanks in advance:)
  2. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    For maximum performance my adice is the Scythe Gentle Typhoon are the best for the radiators. Although I've never had one.
    Jegergrim says thanks.
  3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I have a pair of Sunon 120mm fans that move 150cfm at full speed, but with a start-up voltage of 5v. They run well and quiet at low speeds, but if you ever wanted to go for that max overclock and didn't really care about sound they get loud and move a ridiculous amount of air. NewEgg doesn't have the particular one I have anymore, but it is this: SUNON PMD1212PTB1-A 120x120x25mm Double Ball Beari...
    Jegergrim says thanks.
  4. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    You can't get better than Gentle Typhoons for performance/noise ratio otherwise if you want massive performance pick the 5400 rpm version, be aware that they don't downvolt that good.

I'd get the GT 1850rpm they are very quiet, I got 18 of em in my build.
    Jegergrim says thanks.
  5. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been reading abit about the typhoons now, from what I read it seems they are very good noise wise, but their air pressure is not nearly as high as other variants with slightly higher noise ratio's, anyone got a comment on this?

5400RPM is too high for my needs, I'll be setting the max at 2200 :)
  6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I only got 2, but they do a marvolous job.

Ive been temped to try out Corsairs new fans though specially the performance ones that claim to have a static pressure of 3.1 at full compared to 1850rpm GT's which have been calculated at 2.8 i think.
    Jegergrim says thanks.
  7. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is higher than I expected. Could you forward me to the test showing 2.8 air pressure on GT's ? Most places I've looked showed only around 2.1-2.2 :/ If they truly are 2.8 they might be the best choice
  8. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    actually you could be right...

I was trawling through the net a while back looking for better fans for my Antec 920 and i came across a forum where a guy had the complete calculation for the 1850rpm GT posted up. I cant remember the website for shit.

I recommend giving corsairs SP120 High Performance Edition a go. might be worth plugging them into a fan controller though.

the fans are 3.1mm H2o
    Jegergrim says thanks.
  9. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for the slow reply, been a rough friday :toast:

Those Corsair fans indeed look interesting, although I must admit, it has a slightly higher noise level then I prefer, but I'll see if I can find them around
  10. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could anyone possibly tell me how Akasa Apache achieves pretty much same performance as the BeQuiet fan, but at a speed of 900 rpm's lower, not to mention the noise?? :/, is this a marketing scam or?
  11. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Ive tried 2 of them in push pull.... they are terrible for rads, they dont move enough air.

However Ive heard of people having success with Akasa Vipers. but i dont think they move as much as 1850rpm GTs
    Jegergrim says thanks.
  12. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    Law-II and Jegergrim say thanks.
  13. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    It has poor static pressure compared to Scythe GTs

AP-121 is only rated at 1.71mm H2o

therefore its not the best choice. and i havent seem the same design being used by other brands. if you are refering to the fluid dynamic bearing then there are already a few brands that use the same bearing and theyve beein doing it for ages
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  14. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the silverstone fans are good as case fans but not for radiators.
  15. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the input, although that fan I've put in the "no-go" list, since it seems to be a really good case/hardware cooling fan, but not the most optimal for radiators, it also seems that it needs a certain distance for max effectiveness.

I guess after reading about the bad performance for the Apache's push pull config, I'll add that to the no-go list aswell, I thought there was something fishy about it. Whilst being 900 RPM's slower, it had the same stats as a 2200 RPM BeQuiet fan...

Caseking.de doesnt sell Gentle Typhoons, so it seems I'm left with the BeQuit 2200 fan
  16. lastcalaveras

lastcalaveras

Thanks Received:
    Try looking for a thicker fan and attach it to a decent fan controller. I run the 200CFM fan of a Coolermaster HAF-X as the push of my push-pull config on my H60 connected to my NZXT mesh fan controller. I can my AMD1075T down to 14 degree ldle and no hihger than 45 degrees at load with my overclock.
    Jegergrim says thanks.
  17. Perra New Member

Thanks Received:
    What other brands? that would only be good if you don't have the fan stuck to the rad but a bit away from it, otherwise the air can only go through the rad anyway, its just marketing, has no added value for cooling.
  18. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    maybe im wrong about who start this technology, but im was do a wide search and find this way is the best way for air directing.
  19. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    the OP is talking about cooling a radiator, not a case, the AP121 for case cooling is pretty good.

Jergergrim - check these out

Ive heard a few people use these on their rads, but they are noisy

(If you click on the link from Corsair i posted earlier - I think they actually allow you to buy it directly from them but im not sure)
    Jegergrim says thanks.
  20. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll be using a Lian Li PC-Q08 m-ITX case, so I'm limited to the 25mm width unfortunately, otherwise a pretty good suggestion :)

I'll check that one up now, cheers
  21. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    agree with u, but didn't also it will be great with radiator, specially when when u put it to push air on radiator to out side the case, no hot air will be stick inside.
    u know high speed air directed penetration on radiator make it freezing, u right about those fans it will a bit more noisy over others in same RPM speed, but performance in 1st place i see.

i like corsair fans too, it's also great
  22. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    you are missing the point hayder - its not about if the fans spin fast or not (or if they channel the air) its all about Static Pressure when it comes to choosing fans for watercooling. e.g. how much air it can force through the radiator. having it in push pull configuration helps though but there are better options available then the air penetrator set
  23. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Law-II says thanks.
  24. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    That fan seems to push alot of air as in CFM, but very low Static Pressure :/

So far I see Gentle Typhoon 1850 or BeQuiet 2200 RPM as the best available fans, being 2.0 and 2.7 pressure respectively, keeping in mind the noise is kept down and the overall quality of the build
    Law-II says thanks.
  25. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    I have two of the new Corsair SP-120 High Pressure fans for testing, and I must say these are great fans! Similar to the Scythe GT's, and a bit less money than them too, with slightly better looks.