• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fan/heat problem with Connect3D X850XT

dr. Dunkel

Hello everyone,

I have just bought myself a Connect3D X850XT and since im no whizz kid on computers i have to ask someone for advise. The fan will not start to rev up no matter what the temperature on the cars is. It will just run very slow. I run on Catalyst 5.3. Is this something that anyone else has experienced?

The card goes up to something like 85 degrees celsius. Then everything just crasches.

ReconCX

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (4x4GB) 1600 DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 480
Storage Intel 330 Series 180GB SSD x2
Display(s) ASUS VH242H 23.6"
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Trooper
Power Supply COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700W
Software Microsoft® Windows 8 Professional
it's automatic... well.. hopefully, just try a game and keep an eye on the temp.. what kind of temperatures are you getting?

dr. Dunkel

ReconCX said:
it's automatic... well.. hopefully, just try a game and keep an eye on the temp.. what kind of temperatures are you getting?

Sorry i edited, i get about 85 degrees (celsius). Then it crasches...

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
if you dont overclock the card or use any other tools for fan control and it overheats during normal use i would return it

dr. Dunkel

W1zzard said:
if you dont overclock the card or use any other tools for fan control and it overheats during normal use i would return it

No other tools for fan control when i get the overheat. But, and I dont know if this is important, when I use AtiTool i get the fan to run. Whats that about?!?

geeman74

does the fan start when you boot pc up?
mine used to make to much noise so i put my waterblock back on,
i dont like atitool with the new x850 cards rivatuners better

dr. Dunkel

geeman74 said:
does the fan start when you boot pc up?
mine used to make to much noise so i put my waterblock back on,
i dont like atitool with the new x850 cards rivatuners better

When I boot the computer the card revs up but then goes down to slow revs at once.
With only the standard drivers it never revs up again.

I mean i should not need to use atiTool or that rivatuners to make the fan cool the card?

Last edited:

Kr4nG

I dont know what to tell you. Try to contact the company of your card. Explain them your problem. You never know they might just send you a new card for no reason. haha

dr. Dunkel

Kr4nG said:
I dont know what to tell you. Try to contact the company of your card. Explain them your problem. You never know they might just send you a new card for no reason. haha

Probably. Well i have requestetd a return on the card from where i bought it, just have to see what they say. SAd thing is if they do not find anything wrong with the card it will cost me about $ 50. Maybe it is worth it but it will also take 2 weeks.

A

ADV4NCED

dr. Dunkel said:
Probably. Well i have requestetd a return on the card from where i bought it, just have to see what they say. SAd thing is if they do not find anything wrong with the card it will cost me about $ 50. Maybe it is worth it but it will also take 2 weeks.

Well there is definetly something wrong with either your card or your computer (maybe psu?) if your pc is crashing. Though the chances are good something is wrong with the card if the fan isnt spinning properly or at the correct speeds.

Slayerstaps

Your right
Your not supposed to use tools to get your cooler to start cooling your card.
Try to contact either to company or the shop who supplied u the card. Tell them about the problems u are having and maybe this can be fixed or u can return the card.

Kr4nG

is your fan dirty by the way? cause try cleaning it or spining it with your finger see how it moves around it should be nice and smooth. JUST A SUGESTION

dubcat

my 850 xt runs in the 85's too - but it doesn't crash until the card gets a bit hotter than that. Here is what I do (because I am VERY uncomfortable with components running at close to the boiling point of water in my computer case!). I use ati tool to manually setup fan speeds at different temps. This means my card idles at about 50c and never goes above 75c even in extreme gaming.

Assuming you are running ati tool beta (which you should be if you have an 850 as it has some magic in it to stop a whistling noise you can get with the non beta code) set up the fan to run at 5% above 0, 25% above 55c, 40% above 65c and 60% above75c. See how you get on with that. If you use the non-beta version you might need to use different fan settings (that was my experience anywyay). Also make sure you check the do not change PWM base frequency box at the bottom of the fan control page too.

With the above setup I idle at 50c (non overclocked card). When i play games the card overclocks to about 590core and 560mem automatically using the 3d detect feature of ati tool but thanks to my fan control i never go past 75c! It does all get a bit loud though - but that is not a problem for me when i am playing games. I will replace standard cooling with artic cooler soon myself.. for quiter system.

dr. Dunkel

dubcat said:
my 850 xt runs in the 85's too - but it doesn't crash until the card gets a bit hotter than that. Here is what I do (because I am VERY uncomfortable with components running at close to the boiling point of water in my computer case!). I use ati tool to manually setup fan speeds at different temps. This means my card idles at about 50c and never goes above 75c even in extreme gaming.

Assuming you are running ati tool beta (which you should be if you have an 850 as it has some magic in it to stop a whistling noise you can get with the non beta code) set up the fan to run at 5% above 0, 25% above 55c, 40% above 65c and 60% above75c. See how you get on with that. If you use the non-beta version you might need to use different fan settings (that was my experience anywyay). Also make sure you check the do not change PWM base frequency box at the bottom of the fan control page too.

With the above setup I idle at 50c (non overclocked card). When i play games the card overclocks to about 590core and 560mem automatically using the 3d detect feature of ati tool but thanks to my fan control i never go past 75c! It does all get a bit loud though - but that is not a problem for me when i am playing games. I will replace standard cooling with artic cooler soon myself.. for quiter system.

Thanks for the answer, that is about what i had to do! My card would not go below 80 degrees unless i had the fan set for 100% (and removed panles on the case) and even then i sometimes had temperatures above 80 and systems and or application crasch. I now have returned the card. I just have to see what the vendor has to say. If they say that the card is ok I just have to get some other cooling device for it.

iluv2fly

I just wanted to Share my Ati Silencer 5 rev2 experience.

My temperature GPU core dropped 30c at full load using ati tool.

My overclock increased 20mhz on the memory and 65mhz on the memory.

Ati need to work on their stock cooler!

dr. Dunkel

I got the card back from my vendor today and it has been replaced on warranty. I will get back to them to see if i could get some info on what was wrong. They probably do not know but it is worth a try.

I will probably get the AC5 rev2 too, heard nothing but good things about it. Sort of the same cooler that HIS uses is'nt it?

iluv2fly

I'm not sure! I have never had the pleasure to play with a HIS card.

System Name Onus
Processor E8500 @ 3.95ghz ~1.25v
Motherboard ASUS P5E Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Orochi cpu, 5x 120mm Zalman red LED case fans, stock GPU coolers
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G.Skill PC8000 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) 2x ASUS 3870x2s
Storage 4x160gb RAID 0 Main, 2x 500gb RAID 0 media storage.
Display(s) LG W2600H
Case Lian Li PC-A70B, painted black and other modded aspects :)
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker. Klipsch RF-3II fronts, Yamaha NS-A222 rears, Klipsch RC-3II center, Klipsch SUB12
Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64, lots of games, photoshop n stuff.
Using ATI Tool to control the fan works wonders. Personally I have mine set to run 75% at idle and 100% at 40º and above; mainly because I don't mind fan noise. Anyway another thing you might want to try, is to mount a fan either on your side panel or right beside your video card. One thing you can do is to simply bend a PCI slot cover and strap a fan onto it and mount it next to your card, or if you're up to it, cut a blowhole in your side panel. My case came with a side fan by my card, but I had to drill holes in the side panel for it to take any affect.