1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fan on GTX 280 won't spin

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chryonn, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    hello. i thought i'd take the opportunity to make a custom SATA 2 power cable that hooks up four HDDs with a female SATA connector on the other end. having successfully made the cable it was testing time and i put everything back in the case. however, i found the PC wouldn't turn on the monitor. nothing too alarming as i have a "minor" problem with my motherboard (an asus p5n32-e sli) that causes it to sometimes not turn on the monitor but a quick cold reset sorts out this inconvenience. i thought the same thing was happening again, until i noticed that the graphics card's fan wasn't spinning at all. i've reseated the card, checked the power connectors and even changed the lithium battery on the mobo. still nothing. this is quite frustrating as the card is fairly recent (not sure if it's RMA-able though). everything else powers up on the mobo, so i'm left wondering if the card is faulty. i don't have any spare parts to test, and i'm using an old Pent 4 with AGP to type this. any ideas, guys?

Well i've done everything again: reseated the card, disconnected and re-connected the power. disconnected the custom cable in case it was drawing too much power, all have come up negative. i really don't know what's causing it to not turn on. i doubt it's the mobo as everything seems to power on fine. it seems odd that i've done nothing to disturb the card and it won't power on. i've contacted Scan and i hope they will allow me to send it back for a replacement or refund or something.

still open to ideas why it's not working though.

i've made some progress; i've switched PCI-E slots to the other x16 and it boots up ok. now i'm stuck with a black screen and a blinking cursor.

i've sorted out the black screen: it wasn't the boot disk- easily sorted in the BIOS

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009