1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

fan question

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by GTX, Jul 7, 2012.

1. GTX

GTX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi tpu fellas,
    I just finished setting up a new PC for my grandfathere
    his old Socket A was too laggy & old, so I decided to get him a nice AM3/sempron/2gb ram setup..
    Ok now heres the problem get ready its really dumb..

Everything was fine, But somehow stupid fking me, couldn't just let of the mind the thing that the fans were too lound,

So I unplugged everything, took the pc out and just let the PSU cable in
    and started it up to see which fan was making that lound sound,
    apparently it was the CPU fan, hey I didnt give up I had to put the finger in to slow it down a little and then I was 100 % positive it was it.
    I tried again till I finally broke one of the "blades" :banghead::banghead::banghead:
    I couldnt care less about the 9$ the heatsink altogether costs, but I have to bug the friends from the city (about 80 miles away) to get a new one..

Now I have the old cooler from the socket A setup they are the same size, (80 i would guess) on the back of
    the new fan its written (DC12V 0.50A) dated 2011
    the old socket a one is DV12V too but 0.15 AMP (Amp, not A like the new one) now will it work fine if I put it in ???

TL;DR will and Old fan for a socket A heatsink work on a am3 heatsink (I broke a blade on the AM3 fan)

on the back of
    the new fan its written (DC12V 0.50A) dated 2011
    the old socket a one is DV12V too but 0.15 AMP (Amp, not A like the new one)

Sorry this is post so long & all over the place ideky

Id really appreciate you're input!!! :respect:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  2. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    It will work but there maybe a difference in max RPM and air flow, potentially with the older beng slower and not cooling as efficiently as the new one you broke.

First check and see what the max temperature of the Sempron is.
    install the old fan then download coretemp and prime 95 , run both at the same time and see if the CPU temperature is going to reach thermal shutdown.

You are not going to do any damage to the CPU as long as you keep and eye on the temperature in Core temp.