1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fanless cases?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Radical_Edward, May 24, 2012.

1. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    So I'm doing some work for a customer of ours and they've expressed interest in fanless cases, I'm looking for something that would be able to house a mATX or ITX motherboard and a low profile graphics card. This machine needs to be smaller than a normal case so it can be tucked away. Currently they have Mid Tower PCs sitting on their front counter and they don't want that anymore.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm currently looking at Streacom cases...
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.streacom.com/products/ Just saw the edit;)

I really like their solutions, but upon deeper investigation, it doesn't seem they are available in the US, yet! I do seem to remember a fan-less case being reviewed here a couple years back too, where the heat sink attaches to the aluminum case, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.
  3. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I glanced over at silentpc, and they have a few useful reviews, but it seems most small fanless cases require the pico PSU. The heatpipe design of the Streacom is pretty slick. HDPLEX offer a few, as well, but again use a different PSU.
  5. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    We might be able to live with the external pico PSUs. I need to find a reliable place to buy these cases too.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
  7. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Those are too small. :(

I'd really prefer something we could fit a mATX motherboard in. Most likely these machines will have SSDs, but if they could fit a normal sized hard drive that'd be a good option.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Those do look nice! Wonder what temps you would get without fans?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  13. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    Radical_Edward...

I have an i3-2120 in a Wesena(another Origen knockoff that is on Perfect Home Theater's Site) ITX-5 and it idles in the high 30's. I'm not sure how powerful you're looking to go, but you can easily fit an HD 6570 in one of these and they're pretty decent performers. Mine never goes over 84w, so you don't need as powerful a psu as you might think. Without the HD 6570, my board idles at 19w, with...it idles at 28.7w.

I will also mention from experience, if you use a Pico and purchase a 150-XT, be careful which power adapter you buy for the case. The 150w power adapter that the stores sell 'require' modification on the install. There's a guy on E-Bay who sells 144w power adapter's that allow you to use the stock plug configuration vs. using a 4-pin DIN plug. I've drilled cases a few times to install these, no fun. Or...you can buy the 120 that PHT sells, although it's overpriced in my opinion...and from research into the product there are guys selling the exact same thing out of China - a lot cheaper.

I'll also mention...Intel motherboards are usually pretty stable under higher heat conditions, I'd recommend giving them a hard look.

I'd personally go with the set up in my System Specs again. You can't hear it outside the case - at all. It's dead silent. The trick is using the Xigmatek Praeton and switching the fan out with a 100x12mm Scythe, it brings the sound down to inaudible from about 10" before installing it in the case.

If you're going to stuff a video card in there, stop at the HD 6570, I've tried the HD 6670 - you won't be happy with it. To hot and too loud. Period. End.

Good luck,

LC
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
    MT Alex says thanks.
  14. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    make one for them!
    make one and attach it to the underside of their table!