1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fans being louder than others?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Reefer86, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    hi guys, quick question really i have 2 fans on the top outake of my case. now they connect through molex to the power. These are the same fan (same model number etc) But my problem is one of the fans is really quiet but when i plug the other in, its like a jet taking off louder then the other 6 fans in there.
    Now its proberly just that the fan has 'gone' or broken but i wondered if anyone could explain this and has it happened to anyone else?

same fan same model but one is a MASSIVE amount loader then the other 2 of the same type and model number i have in my case.

Thanks Reefer
  2. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the model # of the suspect fans?

Are they sleeve bearing fans? If so, blowing in a vertical direction is usually not good for the bearing's longevity. The quieter one could be on the way out.

You could try taking both fans out and testing them in open air (just held in your hand). To compare, try plugging them into the same molex connector or motherboard fan header. Use different MB fan headers and molex connectors. Maybe there is too much current going through the molex connector to the "louder" fan.

Just a few wild guesses...
  3. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    fans plugged directly into the power supply get more juice than ones plugged into the motherboard fan headers.
  4. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    yeah i realise they get more juice through a molex... but they both have fan controller wires connected to the board and they seem to be all ok on the wiring and i set them up in the bios to be sure about controlling them. yes they are sleave bearing.
    i know about the power they get is much more on a molex but doesnt explain why one is a shit load louder then the other. I have checked using diffrent molex connectors and 'lines' as its a modular psu. All i can think is that maybe the fan controller part of the fan is dead inside ..and yes i have tried it on diffrent headers on the board, OR the fan itself it just got old and is now DAM noisy! when i say loud i mean its loader then my whole 6 system and cpu and gfx card fans put together.
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    How many RPM ?.. Is it like a screaming\rubbing sound and quietens down a little over time ?, if so one or more are wearing out.
  6. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it starved of air? A fan up against a tight grill makes it spin faster than normal, which makes more noise. Take it off the mount and hold it in your hand. :)
  7. Reefer86

Reefer86

Thanks Received:
    its just good dam loud and yes i took it off and its still loud. its a no-issue really because its going in a box now in the shed. i just wanted to know if anyone had come across this before and it did seem kinda strange for one to be really quiet and one really loud.
  8. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    I have - usually with cheaper fans there will be variation in the operating characteristics. More expensive fans tend to be more consistent.