1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Far Cry 2 crashes on launch @ 2048x1536

Discussion in 'Games' started by Red_Machine, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I set Far Cry 2 to my new native res and as soon as I hit apply, the game crashed to the desktop. Now, it refuses to even launch. I've had a look around, and a lot of people are having crash on launch issues, but none of them seem to be related to resolution. I know it can be done, because I've seen shots of it at my res, but it just doesn't want to work for me.

Yes, I did try verifying my game cache. 2 files failed and were re-acquired, however it still crashes.

Any ideas?
  2. damric

damric

Thanks Received:
    Try DX9 mode.
  3. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I can't launch the game to change that, and why should I run it in a lower spec mode when my PC is more than capable of handling it?
  4. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    try updating drivers
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    My drivers are already up to date.
  6. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    use older drivers...
    try modded drivers too
  7. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    why cant you run it lower. what does drivers upto date mean? are you running beta alpha what? It seems like you might just know everything about this issue so why ask if all of us are going to be wrong. OR you could try and not give us teenage text message responses and discuss this in full sentences. FOR EXAMPLE

please elaborate as to why it wont run in DX9. Because this is what he ment when he told you to do it. judging by your response you seemed to be somehow offended at the fact that you would be running it in DX9 mode. Which isnt the case infact Its probably because their are 2 presets. let me explain you have dx9 and DX10 both of which have presets for the game. If your resolution is supported natively by the game rebuilding the files via steam isnt going to change squat. Congrats your wrong. However if the resolution is causing some kind of issue switching modes will force it to default to the predetermined resolution for that mode. HENCE DX9 mode.

Next we have drivers their upto date? So what? are they beta? probable cause #1 are they stable OFR's? then move to beta have you tried both? use older. Why should you have too use old drivers when they work fine with your other games? sounds like a moral delemma If you have a problem running the troubleshooting dont play the game. Not saying you would just covering any kind of hardcore nerd rage ill probably recieve from you by posting in this relatively pointed manner.

Trying to keep it cival for the rest of us.

-Solaris

Have a nice day.
    damric says thanks.
  8. damric

damric

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes a more than capable machine cannot run poorly optimized console ports easily. FC2 in particular has crash issues with DX10 mode.

You tell me why you can't make it work.
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  9. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    By "up to date" I mean that they are the latest WHQL version. Which is generally what "up to date" means.

With regards to DX9/DX10: the game ran fine up until now with no issues whatsoever in DX10 mode. Why should I have to run a game in a lower DX mode JUST to stop it crashing at my native res?

As for the reason I can't set it into DX9 mode: the game crashes as soon as I launch it, so I can't actually get into the options menu to change it. There may be a config file to change it manually, I'll have to look.

I was short with my answers because the only responses I've received so far were short in themselves and they were less-than-helpful suggestions that are either not relevant to me (because I always get the latest WHQL driver when it comes out) or something that's not been a problem (I have had no issues whatsoever until now with FC2's DX10 mode).

I'm asking for help because nobody elsewhere seems to have the problem I am and I would generally expect fellow TPU members to show a decent level of respect to each other. I was not inviting a flame war.

I work with Windows, not developer's shoddy coding. I can usually fix issues with regards to my games crashing, but there are a few (like this one) that just don't seem to want to be fixed.

Also, while we're on the subject of stupid questions: why do you colour your post text? I've seen you do it all the time and I find it rather annoying. It's the sort of thing little kids do.
  10. damric

damric

Thanks Received:

1) It makes the adults mad. Success :D
    2) It makes me even more unique, less forgettable. Success :D
    3) Increases synergy with my avatar to give me 50% more trolling strength. :rockout:
  11. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    Ok ill play. He doesnt mean change it via the game menu. Google to see if FC2 has a launch parameter most do this is steam were talking about. usually the command is something like "-9" without quotes their are also other alternatives such as adding -9 after the last quote marker of the EXE itself under the properties menu. you could also try switching to beta or older drivers instead of WHQL ones. you can also attempt to do things diffirently like manipulating AA or AF levels in the CP to see if that will allow the game to boot. You might even be able to make a profile for the game both CCC and nvidia have this option though with nvidia i believe its harder to get to (im too lazy to check) and with these "game profiles" you can force resolutions and specific settings for certain games.

theirs about 5 things you can look into.
  12. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    My apologies, I forgot to mention I have the Steam version.

I will look into those, but they seem like brute-force fixes. I was hoping for something like "Far Cry 2 is glitchy at 2048x1536. To fix it you can go into the fc2config.ini file and change this setting..." or something to that effect.
  13. damric

damric

Thanks Received:
    As a last resort, try this.
  14. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    that may be entirely possible. but those fixes are no good unless we know if its affecting both DX9 and 10 (primary game file) or just one of them (prob simple cfg fix)
  15. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Dear Red Machine

-Far Cry 2 go to C:\Users\*.*\My Documents\My Games\Far Cry 2\GamerProfile.xml

edit the aformantioned GamerProfile.xml file to access your resolution, once you are happy with it you may wish to make it read only

-Far Cry 2 fortunes edition has a well documented DX10 memory leak, effecting most users at some point in the game, if you have lots of system memory it may not show for a longer period than if you run less

-Far Cry 2 Console Commands .bat; create a short cut; go to properties Target:"*:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\far cry 2\bin\FarCry2.exe" -dx10 -exec e:\FC2.bat
    note the star denotes your drive letter, add a DX10 switch note: space between "&- in the command line. To set-up the FC2.bat you will need to copy and paste the FC2.bat to a different partition in this example e:\ as the C:\drive and Steam are protected and the file will not be read. note: if you set the -DX10 switch make sure dx9 is selected in the game settings; restart the game to effect change
    (rename the attached .txt to .bat you may edit the FC2.bat to your liking) more info at Gamespot forums; I just used the best for the rig I run.

nb: check you are running the latest monitor drivers

Hope this helps and good luck

atb

Law-II

Attached Files:

• FC2.txt
      File size:
      200 bytes
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  16. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It might simply be running out of RAM when it tries to allocate that much memory to the video card.

I would find the config file, delete it, then start the game so it builds a new one with defaults. I would go with a lower resolution with higher settings. Resolution has the greatest impact on memory consumption.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Just what i was thinking, delete the config file and even reinstall the game just make sure you backup up your saves.

Save games are at C:\Users\Your Account\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 2\Saved Games

When i played it the game played flawlessly.
  18. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the detailed instructions, Law-II. I went into the GamerProfile.xml and lowered the resolution, which allowed me to boot the game and set it to DX9, which worked fine at 2048x1536.

I then decided to try in DX10 mode again and it's decided to work. Weird...
    Law-II says thanks.
  19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Law-II says thanks.
  20. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it said I have a newer or equivalent version. Though it has been a while since I last did it.