1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Far Cry 3 - Island Survival Guide

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, Aug 29, 2012.

1. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    I was drinking beer legally the year they came out with Honey Nut Cherrios :roll::roll::roll:
    I have been unlocking radio towers. Going to the Medusa !

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  2. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Depends whats fun to you but just play the game, the side shooting missions are pretty fun, not the target shooting but where you have to kill as many guys in 60 seconds or something. There are some cool places to find and wild animals.

You gotta try to unlock stuff as fast as you can so you get good guns, more health and unlock more gun slots so you can carry more weapons etc and dont forget to use your skill points. Liberate as many towers as you can early so you get to see the map properly.

3. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Yeah what he said : ) I'm unlocking towers and picking up a few side missions along the way and securing bases. I don't do much sneaking I just go in balls out. I did blow the lock off a Tiger cage and let him do the work and then killed him and skinned him. I am now currently gonna to do the Medusa Mission, but I'm coming in from the backside. Most Vid's I've seen come from the other direction. I'll see how it pans out tonight. There is defintely a lot to do just by roaming the map. Shit comes at you everywhere you go. :laugh:

4. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I find there's often more fun in what the game throws at you, vs what you look for. I was doing one of those kill the guy with a knife side missions and after I'd stealthily taken out all his crew from a distance with a silenced sniper rifle, I'm sneaking up on him to get a takedown and a tiger charges him and knocks him over giving him a facial while I rush up and barely knife him in time to get the kill. What's really odd though is I've once had the same happen with rebels interrupting and even though the target got shot by them vs knifed by me, it said mission success.

Just before ending my session tonight I was desperately trying to find a safe way to get to the Uplay bonus points downloadable mission Testing Unit before clearing outposts in that area. Then when I thought it was safe to enter the starting spot this bear that was spooked by some pirates driving by goes running frantically through the ruins by the entrance and we kinda startled each other.

I downed him with the shotgun and thought I could skin him and jump in the entrance before the pirates came to investigate, but wouldn't you know it that damn slow arse skinning animation got me. So I'm still looking for one more bear hide for one of my ammo bags, forgot which one.

5. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Same thing happened to me with a Tiger. It was the first one I had skinned and didn't realize they took longer so the timing of that got me gunned down.

Medusa and the Sawmill were pretty easy. I'm gonna do the prison
    break and then on a radio tower quest and unlock 3 or 4.;)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Easy, but fun. This time I used total stealth at the Sawmill via tossing rocks. First to lure the tiger toward the camp, then to take out the remaining enemies one by one by hiding in a bush and throwing rocks closer and closer to it until I can get a takedown and drag them out of sight.

The Prison Break mission is a bit harder to do with total stealth due to the entrance camp layout, AI placement and darkness of the cave, but it's certainly possible.

One thing I gotta try eventually is Death from Above using a glider. There ought to be a special achievement just for that. I've read some chat indicating some are saying DfA is not possible from hang glider or parachute though. Which could mean the only way to get the Never Saw it Coming trophy is via a zip line.

7. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    Can anybody recommend me the settings to run this game, I am getting preety low fps ranging from 23 to 32fps.
    my specs are given

8. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    First get the latest NV drivers, 310.70 if you don't already have them installed. Use SSAO and 2xMSAA if you want higher FPS.

9. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    got latest drivers , using SSAO but no MSAA because it usually decreases my fps in most of the games.

10. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Exactly where I shut it down last night, because they are all running at me before I even stepped inside. Got to research and figure out my weapons key.
    Need some nades and C-4 , but haven't used them yet so I need some practice.

11. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    I have a GTX570 running at 800MHz, 4xMSAA and HDAO (most taxing AO), everything else on max, same monitor as you I get around 30FPS. You should have a few more with your 580. If you use the same settings and get less than 30FPS then something is wrong. Maybe running your CPU at stock has an effect, I'm at 4.2 with my Sandy Bridge. The game also is very inconsistent in keeping the framerates so you might want to check other forums for tweaks.

12. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I'd like someone with an Nvidia card to run a bench on this game and tell us what the min and max frames are, because some are reporting consistent frames, others seem to indicate a range of frames, albeit not as broad a one as AMD cards seem to get.

Mine can range from 35-60 FPS on my 7970, but since that's with VSync on resulting in a 60Hz cap, the window is probably even wider than that. One here has said he gets a fair bit of texture pop-ins on his Nvidia card though, which I've not had a problem with on my 7970.

I can't imagine running this game at 30 FPS average. The lowest I've ever set my DxTory frame rate limiter to is 40. Then again, if the frame rate window is tight enough, some games can run well at 30 FPS. I've been resistant to it, but I may try a 30 FPS cap just for the hell of it.

I'll probably have to disable the Uplay overlay just to see if it stays at 30 FPS, because DxTory's frame counter doesn't work with it on. BTW, I didn't know Nvidia cards could do HDAO. Some have said it's only AMD cards that can.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  13. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    In fact (sadly) HDAO is the best looking, both SSAO and HBAO offer some not-so-pleasant dark halo/shadow on every person/object. I can understand because this game is supported by AMD.
    HDAO works on NV but it hits hard on performance.

14. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding SSAO is a planar (2D) full screen AO, HBAO a 2D horizontally implemented full screen AO, and HDAO the only one that is true 3D, full screen, full space AO?

Like I said, didn't know Nvidia cards could even do HDAO, but if there's a big performance hit I imagine many prefer not to use it. What I don't get is why this game shows SSAO and HBAO with those dark silhouettes. I've never seen that with any other game, and it's yet another reason I feel this game is not very polished in graphics or performance.

I was hoping the dust clouds vehicles kick up would look a lot more realistic on HDAO, and I suppose they do some, but there's still this darkness mixed in with the dust and it just doesn't look real at all. Hell, even DiRT 2 has far more realistic vehicle dust clouds than this game, and it came out 3 yrs ago.

15. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    Fidled with settings more , now i get around 36 to 50 fps with everything on veryhigh and no MSAA and using SSAO

16. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    Im running a 680 lightning, usually an amd guy but testing this 680 for the moment.

Settings on ultra, SSAO, 4x AA I get 45-65 fps, but sits fairly consistently at 50-60 fps
    If I drop the settings a little I can keep it above 60. Feels smooth but I am running a 120Hz monitor too so it helps with the appearance of smoothness.

I notice theres another update today.

17. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    Having great fun with this game. I'm left to wonder what would have happened if I sided with Citra...guess I'll have to play it again to find out lol. Right now I'm concentrating on putting my name an rocks haha!

[​IMG]

18. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    this game is nice

19. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:

In reading too quickly about the game in a post the other day, I found out you
    die
    if you side with her.

I've been playing mostly Hitman Absolution lately, currently on Expert. It's weird how even after the disguise and difficulty tweaks in the latest patch, there are still parts that are way too easy, and others that are a bit harder than they should be.

20. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I just got this game, and it crashes randomly sometimes for me. Like itll lock, go black screen to my desktop and i can still see the icon down in the taskbar, and i can still hear sound coming from the game. Task Manager says its not responding. I don't get any driver error messages or anything. My system runs every other game just fine with overclocks where they are and such. I did read bumping some voltages for CPU and memory has fixed it for a lot of people. Just wondering if anyone from the good ol' TPU has had an issue like this.

21. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I did, and despite my trying to convey that the game is horribly optimized for CPU, RAM and GPU, some still insist it's an unstable OC causing it.

Some games are just rushed together anymore. They don't seem to care if they cause havoc with your system, as long as they get your money.

22. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    So what did you do to reduce it or stop it completely?

23. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Well I basically got sick and tired of jumping through hoops trying to find exact OC settings, including one with a 3.8 vs 4GHz clock using a lower (160) base clock and max (24) multiplier and all auto settings on everything else, which made my CPU peak at 80c load, since none of the typical OC methods were working, so I just bumped it back down to XMP Profile with a one step bump on the multi. Also set my 7970 back to the 2nd BIOS (OC) setting of 1000.

So with my CPU back to 3.2GHz and GPU back to 1000 core, my Hitman Absolution benchmark went from 63 down to 55 average frame rate. I even got a crash in Hitman, which doesn't ever happen. That seems to have been related to needing 4 important updates that were not notifying me for some reason. It was 4 security updates to C++.

Looking forward to getting a Sandy Bridge CPU. This Nehalem 950 is annoying the fuck out of me. Bad enough it only natively supports 1066 RAM speed, it doesn't OC worth a damn. Then again, I HAVE been able to get it to run pretty stable in OCCT with the Linpack bench, but these poorly made games unfortunately are the final test.

Going to probably build a complete new system when Maxwell comes out. I have to wonder if some of these problems are related to MS fucking up with W7 updates while focusing mostly on W8 lately, and/or a 12/21/12 bug, because a LOT of people are suddenly reporting these same kinds of crashes while gaming.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  24. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    I havent seen any crashes with this game yet. As far as overclocking goes, I've done my share and have never seen a benefit in my gaming. This game runs just as well for me with one stock 5850 as it does with two GTX 295's. I havent updated my Win 7 OS in six months lol, and it's coming up on a 18 month old install.

25. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    These days overclocking more modern hardware doesn't do much, its more something thats fun to do, and then running benchmarks to see how high of scores you get and compare with other users. I mainly do it because its fun to do and push the part to its max, and its free performance.

Oh and if you actually compare FPS, im sure the 2 GTX295s will have better frame rates then the 5850.