1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Far Cry 3 - Island Survival Guide

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Yep, it's a great game. Highly recommended. Got a great deal at greenmangaming for preorder and was able to play on day one. It was one of the few games launched first in Europe before the US.

2. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I got an amazing deal! Free! Got to love Santa :D

3. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
  4. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Question. Anyone else getting one single texture problem in the sp that appears to the left of the dock where you pick up the bow for the Man Eating Shark PotH quest? It almost looks like a big mountain shape and burred and greyed. It's just down the left of the dock where the beach bends.

I've seen it from the water while the sky was dark grey and the weather rainy when heading that direction, and in broad daylight while heading to the dock to do that quest. Last time I saw it though, when I headed toward it, it disappeared as I approached it, and I haven't seen it since.

I'm reluctant to think it's an artifact because I have no OCs running on GPU or CPU currently and this is the only spot in the game I've seen such a thing, nor has any other game had any such problems. I have to wonder if it's a corrupt texture in the game files from a bad install or download.

I'm doubting whether the game would even fully install if any of the download files were corrupt though. I'm leaving re-downloading as a last resort, because the Ubi download manager doesn't like to allow you to change install paths, and I have limited space on the C: partition of my SSD.

5. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I've had some crazy stuff go on with my game. There was one part of a dirt road in front of an outpost on the south island that warped as you moved around it. I regularly have full screen checkerboard flickers in some areas like Akamani Town and I even had to dial down my XFX 7950's OC to 1025MHz/1.000v core from 1050/1.037v as my card was constantly hitting PowerTune limits and this game makes it run at 90c with the side panel open and a fan blowing on the card. Would like to repaste my card but XFX isn't too keen on people removing the cooler thanks to warranty stickers on the screws.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Frankly, that sounds more like OC stability and/or driver problems than anything to do with specific game textures, esp the checkerboard bit.

7. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, could be my card is running too hot and baking the memory chips, or even Windows 8 is a problem, but I'm at a loss for now. I get decent FPS but this card is almost always at 100% GPU usage in the game which makes it super loud.

8. MxPhenom 216

Thanks Received:
    Theres a lot of wierd ways things draw in. Some things will like be glittery when they draw in, and if you look away at a certain angle and look back, itll re-draw in the same wierd glitteryness.

9. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    So no one's seen this big mountain-like blurry grey anomaly on the curved part of the beach near the Man-eating Shark quest?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  10. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
  11. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Don't recall seeing that, and I've done all the story quests.

Anyhow, I think I fixed the problem with random split-second checkerboarding screen (except in the specific places where it always happens but differently than the checkerboarding I'm describing). I discovered that voltage adjustments in Afterburner don't work unless you force constant voltage, so I did that, raised the card to 1050/1400 @ 1.062v, and it seems the artifacts not related to that game (and the occasional desktop flicker I experienced) are gone! I'll try other games but I'm really optimistic about this. And no, my card wasn't unstable at the stock VID as reducing the OC on both the RAM and chip by 50MHz had no effect, and anytime the core voltage is too low, FC3 crashes within minutes.

MxPhenom, I noticed that too. It's weird how things render in as blocks of pixels and sometimes it screws up on things right in front of you. I noticed the game uses only about 800MB of VRAM on 1080p Ultra settings.

12. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    Just started a new game and when I get to the part where I'm kicked into the water with a cinder block I can't escape my bonds. Space bar is working, but no escape and I have tried a dozen times. :wtf:

13. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
  14. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    @ricks,
    Are you mashing the Spacebar quickly? It's always worked for me, though that is one QTE that takes a little while to get through.

The only glitch I've had there is I got waterfall spray following me everywhere after emerging from the water on my 2nd run through. It may have been due to using the cave's sunlit hole at it's top to orient me to the surface, which is something I didn't have to do the 1st run. Reloading the checkpoint solved the problem though.

This game certainly has it bugs.

15. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Thought I'd upload a few Nice pics of the island, Taken W/ afterburner on My "old" HD6950 , 1Gb. and it handles it pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Just played 1.5 hours....
    This game is awesome so far. And looks amazing.

17. WarhammerTX

WarhammerTX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else not able to connect to the farcry3 servers there forums say they have been down for a couple of weeks got the game xmas and have not been able to play co-op or multiplayer yet.

18. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I finally managed to slip the bonds. This is also my second time thru and I experienced that waterfall spray as you did too...I had to end the attempt and go again to get rid of it. There are some bugs for sure, but overall I've had a blast with the game. :toast:

Anyone else here have thier names on rocks yet? I think I have about four so far. Also, I can't figure out how to zoom a scope with my set-up...I use a trackball and have no scroll feature on it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  19. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    That's going to be tough. I looked for a file that has control bindings to edit, but didn't find one. The game's menu has no provision to rebind mouse wheel zoom either. I even tried setting my keyboard to scroll lock to see if the up/down keys would work, but no go.

Does your keyboard have a scroll wheel by any chance?

rickss69 says thanks.
  20. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    My keyboard is a Saitek Cyborg...no scroll wheel. This is the first game I've encountered this problem. Wonder why they would do something so silly.

21. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Zoom being bound to the scroll wheel is quite common, and it's not always re-mappable. Most gamers have a scroll wheel to use.

That said, for as good as the graphics are, the game could have better control support. I suggest emailing Ubi and see if they can offer a workaround.

They did after all add in FOV adjust and other features before release. There's a chance they might patch in an option to rebind zoom for those with no scroll wheel too. It's a slim one, since few don't have scroll, but it's worth a shot.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  22. rickss69

Thanks Received:

Every other game I have ever played I have been able to edit to zoom thru the keyboard...this is the first one without an option.

23. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I didn't say it's always re-mappable, I said scroll zoom is common. Again, you're better off making that argument to Ubi, just in the chance they might offer to patch it in.

If not, there's a Pixxo mouse on Newegg for only $5.50 with a 4 egg average rating out of 69 reviews with free shipping. You might be able to plug that in simultaneously with the trackball just to use the scroll. I wouldn't advise installing any mouse software though. Just use the windows driver.

Or, if you've by chance been looking to replace your KB, there are some that have scroll wheel, though they may not be as rugged or gaming oriented as your Saitek. There's also trackballs with scroll.

Given your frustration, the cheap mouse seems the best route though.

24. rickss69

Thanks Received:
    I probably won't do anything just for this game...I've still been able to hit everything I aim at regardless. It's just an aggravation. :ohwell:

25. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    And it's really only a problem with the first two sniper rifles if you don't have the suppressor for them. Once you get the Z93 at the first mission where you deal with Privateers, sniping is an easy one shot kill.