1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Far Cry 3 - Island Survival Guide

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't work as good when you get to the second island where the Heavies are more prominent. If stealth fails, either explosives or an LMG will be needed to take the bastards out.

I found that the flamethrower excels at taking them down but I am struggling a bit against the Heavy Flamers. My current tactic when spotted is to run into some thick foilage and use a molotov cocktail when they follow me.

You can lay some C4 next to a landmark before you start on taking an outpost, if it goes haywire you can detonate it when they follow. Go back and pick it up if successful (also makes a nice diversion should you need one, i.e. infiltrating the outpost from the other side to go in and smash the alarms)

Edit: I ran into an outpost once that was guarded by no less than 5 heavies. Took down two of them but was too hasty and got spotted, and of course I hadn't made my way to shut off the alarms yet. The alarm pulled in not two but three full cars of baddies, in addition to the 3 Heavies pounding away with machine guns. Eventually I won but about $900 in ammunition was needed.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    erixx says thanks.
  2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Tigers can wipe out a camp full of regular troops, but if there's a sniper or heavy there, the tiger is going to die.

Just had the boss fight against
    the giant. His minions are going to be tough on the hardest difficulty level unless I crank up the brightness a bit.
    There's one thing I find odd about the graphics in low light conditions. Although reducing color to black and white is realistic, it tends to look too shimmery. Hard to describe, kinda like a negative of a photo where the details of the objects become shimmering white for faint light reflections, with black outlines. This is most noticeable in dark areas of caves that have sculptured stone.

I had trouble deploying
    the parachute when using the wing suit, I actually had to land in the water close enough to the objective to avoid failing mission.
    I chalk it up to the game's buggy key mapping. Early on in the game I had trouble not being able to get out of the vehicle that Dennis drives you in. I had to rebind Interact to E. I have yet to solve this one though. It's bound to L Shift btw.

3. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah , that's True. I got Pretty Grumpy with FC3 today When I Realized that Killing 3 Civilians Concurrently Get's you Killed by the Damn Game.:mad:

Also you Get More $$ and loot if you let them Trigger the alarm, So I just Let them, and reap the reward. Plus I like Killing juggernauts.As for the Heavies, One shot to the Chest With the Special Sniper Rifle in the Store, (the Red one) , and they're DEAD.

I figured since I beat the Damn Game , I could do what I wanted. Oh-Well.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  4. Depth

Thanks Received:
    Hahaha I was just about to start ninja-clearing an outpost when I suddenly heard a ton of shouting and gunfire. Some rebels had decided to take for a drive in a technical. They just parked a few 30 metres or so from the location and completely obliterated EVERYTHING that moved, even the two tigers in the cage. Because it wasn't *me*; nobody activated the alarm :laugh:

+1500XP for hiding in a bush.

After everything was dead they just drove off, didn't say a word. Then another car showed up to occupy the place complimenting me on a job well done but worrying about a counterattack. If anyone in this unorganized rabble would have shown a single speck of leadership or coordination they could easily win the conflict outright.

5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Just be glad the AI don't have a hive mind. For instance there's a part later on in the game where you obtain a disguise of a certain non native troop type. I ran into one of them by mistake driving up to one of the towers as I was unlocking the last of them.

The few that were there all opened fire on me and after I killed them a few more came. I was worried I'd blown my cover and rep with them, but the ones that came investigating were just looking for who did it and after I killed them and encountered more such troops elsewhere, they were none the wiser.

AI wise, a pretty good game, it's the weird story and characters I have issues with.

6. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    when you get the uniform they don't bug you at all. one of the towers has like 3 soldiers literally in front of the ladder. they don't care.

7. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    I like the game so far and it plays really good on my laptop too. Toned it down to medium graphics , but it still looks great. I do see it'll have a bit of a learning curve, but so did FC2. Multiplayer is better then I expected, but I just bought Warfighter a month ago and was totally disappointed. It is a bit CODish , but I can live with that. If I want BF3ish , Aftermath just got released.

8. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    SETTINGS:

Is there anyway to hack and give the far distance landscape more definition? It is quite a contrast to the higly detailed closer distance, sometimes it looks cartoonish.

thx

9. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried forcing AF to 16x in your GPU control panel?

erixx says thanks.
  10. buggalugs

buggalugs

Thanks Received:
    I've almost finished the game, its pretty good but its annoying when my wallet fills up all the time when I'm collecting loot.

I have unlocked the bigger wallets so I can carry 10 grand, but it still fills up all the time. The other problem is I have bought every single gun, every single attachment like scopes and magazines etc for every gun. The only way left to spend money is on paintjobs, so I have to buy 6 paintjobs for every gun just to get rid of cash.

Anyone found another way to spend money? Oh I just thought of something I could play poker but with my luck I would win and my wallets full again lol. Either I'm missing something or its a flaw in the game. I'm the kind of guy that collects all the loot and hidden items so its a bit annoying.

11. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    the game has some pacing issues.

12. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Being the game in a 3rd world area, the option to get rid of money by donating to a NGO is imperious! Or support the building of hospitals and schools in those villages! ;)

13. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Bought all the maps? They can get pretty pricey.

Well I think I have the spotty performance licked. Was a combination of FordGT90's LAA(The game is not Large Address Aware) and disabling the uPlay Overlay. With that it never dropped below 55 if ever. I re-enabled the Overlay as a first test and right way it was doing the weird dips again.
    I will flip LAA off again just for confirmation but the Overlay is definitely causing problems.

14. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Okay this is something that has been bothering me for the past week or so. There is like this invisible mirror-ish outline of my gun in some of the cut away scenes (even on the Radio Tower cutaways), but it doesn't happen all the time. Is this a glitch within the game or an issue with my card improperly performing with the video settings? See pics below:

Do you see my ak47?

[​IMG]

How about now? :p

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Yeah and I was bit hasty with my solution. While it's a bit more consistent it's still doing those weird random dips...

16. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    You mean Ansiotropic Filtering right?, 'cos AA 16X (over in-game max 8x) makes it looking yet nicer, but not better in the distances. :)

Ok tested AF and the distance is still washed out. Will look for a tweak ...

Found a list of tweaks and no, nothing makes this better.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  17. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    Crack and Hookers will drain it fast :roll:

18. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    anyone know a fix to the problem where far cry 3 eats your save games? (or more accurately, they're still there but the game doesnt see them to load them)

19. DanTheMan

Thanks Received:
    Saw this solution on another site - hope this works

Go to your file where the game is saved, example Computer/C; program files (x86)/ Ubisoft/ Farcry3/ bin and find the file FC3Updater, right click it and go to properties>Compatibility tab and towards the bottom you will see a check box for run this program as administrator (Check the box and hit apply) do the same for the farcry3 exe(application) file as well and you should be good to go

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    nope, didnt work :(

anyone got a save game after all the tutorial crap, so i can skip wasting 30 minutes each time i try this?

21. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well I played some Co-op today(Actually I played alot of it) It's a completely different story with different characters(There's an Intro Film you can watch to get the plot) It's really quite fun. But of course between the P2P hosting and the inconsistent performance it can get pretty frustrating too. It would be pretty much awesome if it wasn't "hiccuping" all the time.

22. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for the double post but I feel bad for Mussels. I found THIS over on the Steam forums and it does make sense seeing as uPlay uses Cloud Saves. Certainly worth a try anyway

Mussels says thanks.
  23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    still no luck :/

i've got the savegame files, but i cant make the game recognise them.

24. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    I can't seem to get FRAPS to work with this game, any ideas? Or maybe use a different program? I decided to max all settings to see how my Asus DCII 570 would handle everything, so far feels very smooth but I am curious what my frame rates are.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I use Dxtory and it works great. Shows FPS and all and barely impacts my game FPS, if you are curious on the results then link to my vids is in my signature. I also use the Lagarith Codec.

t77snapshot says thanks.