1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

far cry forrest trees poping up?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Quake2owns, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Quake2owns

Quake2owns New Member

Thanks Received:
    Like if im looking at a moutain in far cry from far away and i start walking closer i see trees filling in like pop in. Is this normal? This is with ultra high everything x4 aa x16 af max quality image on catalyst max quality af.

This is with a x1800xtpe is this normal? The trees disappearing in the background and reppearing getting closer is annoying.

2. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Most likely the game only renders objects out to a certain distance.

3. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it's normal in this particular game...

4. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I havent had the opportunity to play this particular game, but this sounds like either very bad memory glitches (so clock it down or get better case/video card cooling), or something in Far Cry's code as a way to save memory (so much for 1.2K draw distance :p)

5. gygabite

gygabite New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the same problem, i think it is just the game.

6. Quake2owns

Quake2owns New Member

Thanks Received:
    No my x1800xt is 100% stable at 700/1600 clocks pe bios, yea thats what i was thinking it was just the engine being crappy and not allowing long draw distances for trees being displayed. This also happens on my dfi lanparty nf4 sli-dr and bfg tech 7800 gtx 256 mb i was just wondering if im the only one lol.

7. Quake2owns

Quake2owns New Member

Thanks Received:
    I should of said my full specs i have 2gbs of corsair pc3200 i was wondering if it was like a memory problem* basically because my other ram sticks died.

8. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    its normal.. some games have a "view distance" setting.. its a performance thing.. a card has to render things even if they are little specs in the distance.. this incurs a big fps hit so its normal to limit the distance the card renders things at..

even at high settings u will still see things popping into view.. just farther away and more of em..

basically it takes as much power to render a little itsy bitsy tree a mile away as it does one right up close.. so the view distance thingy is how they get round this.. in fact the farther away the trees are the more grfx power it takes cos u get more of em on screen at once..

trog

9. 65tweet

65tweet New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's normal and you can watch the grass grow as you walk down paths too.

10. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Even though this game is almost two years old, the engine has aged very well, and Crytek keeps adding new props to the engine like HDR, SM 3.0 and motion blur with each new patch, so, even if it has some shortcomings, Farcry still looks great, even compared to newer games IMHO.

11. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    farcry was a special game.. it had the "wow" factor and allowing for its age is still very good.. i could even play it well on my old 9700 pro.. i cant say the same for anything thats come after it.. every little pretty bit has had to be payed for dearly in increased grfx power..

trog